Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden clean up

Options
  • 28-09-2021 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

hi, firstly I'm not a garden but inherited a fairly mature garden in a new house to me. I left it all go a big wild this year. Is this time of year a good time to trim back over grown shrubs, bushes and trees?? should i leave it another few weeks, is there a risk in trimming back too much at end of season going into winter. some stuff is still flowering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,842 ✭✭✭billyhead

March or April is usually the best time to prune shrubs, bushes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What billyhead says is true, however there is quite a bit of stuff that can be cut back now. Pruning varies from one shrub or tree to another. Best bet is to try and identify what you have got and prune accordingly. I am of the 'ruthless' school of thought on clearing up and cutting back and I honestly can't recall that I have ever killed anything - but I do generally know what plants are and which ones can be savaged and which need to be minded a bit.

Advertisement