Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CI Leisure Commission AGM

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've never understood this split between leisure and racing. It's a club. Everyone bands together in a club, with club spirit. The racers are representing the club in races, the leisure riders represent the club on leisure rides. Coaching should be open to all - if you're being told that coaching is only for racers, ask your club for coaching to get to your 100km event goal, or Marmotte, or whatever.

If you think some people in your club get more than their fair share, you can leave, make your thoughts known to the committee (who are volunteers and may or may not act on it), or you can join the committee or propose something at the club AGM.

Basically, if you're unhappy with your club, you have the power to make it better, or you're in the wrong club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

Lads,

As someone who's done many roles in a club over the past few years, there are two things I would say here.

1 - Be clear in what you want your club to do for the leisure riders

2 - Club Membership rarely if ever subsidies A4s, Club membership wouldn't cover a team for a Rás, it might do for a Rás Mumhan but that's one single event. If you attend your AGM your Treasurer should read out accounts and give a income / expenditure statement.

Just a quick back of the fag packet calculation for example .. €20 Membership by lets say 100 Members (which would be a super healthy club) is only €2000. A Rás team for example would cost the bones of €10,000 for the week. I can't remember the costs the last time my own club did Kerry or Ulster for a 3 day.

The only other expense racing cyclists would draw out of a club is expenses, for example if someone was doing service for a race, they would be within reason able to claim fuel. So there's an element that thinks the racers are a draw on the club and there's nothing for us, but if ye don't put the hand up, and say okay we want to do x,y,z or go to x,y,z no one will know.

I would like to see a bit more of a connect between leisure and clubs, as pointed out by a lot of people, "sure what do I want to join a club for". CI and the Commission would do well to draw up a blueprint of activities and benefits that a club can provide. There is a huge disconnect between CI and clubs across all activities and it's growing wider and wider.

And I would like to see a closer integration between Club and CI for Membership for example, €50 shouldn't be CI Leisure License it should be Club Membership and a basic license that covers you for Club Events, and Road Spins.

One thing that's hugely missing from all clubs is that no club has a "clubhouse" so there's no focal point for leisure or social aspects of the club. You can drop down to the GAA Club to see Tim, or you can shoot out to the Golf Club to see if Bob is around.. There's no one popping down to the local cycling club ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend the online AGM of the CI Leisure Commission this afternoon. Has anyone anything to report?

Advertisement