Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we look lazy using electric bike on charity cycles?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Would there be outrage if gasp one of the lads in drag actually won?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

but the goal is to raise money for the charity. the goal of covering ground is incidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭cletus

Its very unlikely to happen. Any runners in the elite pen looking for points from the race will be first out, plus there's normally maybe a 5 minute delay before the release of the next pen. There are no make elite athletes being given access to the front pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm sure I read somewhere that a charity cycle effort is invalid unless you do it on a 40 year old Raleigh Chopper with flat tyres and dragging along two ship anchors and a grand piano behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I won't lie... I do roll my eyes when hear people say things like they've done the mini marathon. Oh yeah? What time? I don't know, I walked it....

But at the end of the day it's for charity so as long as the charity wins who really cares.

But it is some time away, you could commit to training and doing it. You never know you might enjoy it :)

funnily enough, walking a couple of k can be a gigantic achievement for some, attempting to shame those that achieve such things, is just bloody ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And any blokes quick enough to actually challenge the elite women in the mini marathon would be risking getting booted from their club and being able to enter races again where they would be good enough to win the occasional free pair of socks, cheap bottle of wine or vouchers for running stores. Plus the eternal shame of having to resort to such tactics.

Wouldn't be worth it for those good enough to "win".

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sussedit

I’m laughing my head off at some of those comments.

the distance is 50km. My friend has a dodgy knee and we both wouldn’t be the fittest. I’m kind of shocked at how strongly some people feel about this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If it's an event where you are ranked and timed/ measured against other people then it's taken seriously and people tend to care a lot about fairness and that others are not seen to be cheating, even if it's only for where they appear on page 17 of a list of results on an obscure website.

If it's a ride around in no particular hurry, and nobody cares who gets there first, or last, or how they get there then crack on and participate in whatever way you see fit and raise the profile of the event by participating and raising funds for the charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I have to say this whole thread is very amusing

Best part is that nobody has realised that the battery on most ebikes only last 25-30km. And they only assist pedalling, you still need to pedal the bike

I haven't done many charity cycles but the ones I've seen have different length courses, 40km, 80km & 120km being one I've seen

So an ebike would only really help out for the shortest course, which tends to be the "fun" course anyway. It won't make any difference on a long course

I don't think bringing an ebike to a charity cycle is lazy. You could make the same argument against bikes with gears

And FWIW, I don't sponsor people for charity events based on the amount of suffering they're expected to endure

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

ah some people are just mental on the internets, hope you enjoy your 'cycle'

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sussedit

these bikes will definitely do more than 30km as I’ve used them before cycling the greenway. If you don’t use the really high settings they last longer. As previous poster mentioned you do have to pedal plenty. As for suffering, the last time I cycled 55 km on one I had difficulty going down stairs and getting off the loo for a few days so I can guarantee I will suffer a small bit 😂

all joking aside I just don’t want a scenario where people will be mean to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if it's next year, you've plenty of time to get in shape to do it on a regular bike - 50km is very doable, even with a dodgy knee.

can always have the eBikes as a backup plan.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Charity sportives usually highlight that it is not a race. If people take it seriosuly then they should take up racing but it is a fun social event that raises money for charity - nothing else.

Best part is that nobody has realised that the battery on most ebikes only last 25-30km.

erm, I did on pg1...

However, I would advise that depending on how long the charity cycle is, you could run out of battery charge and end up using as much energy as you would have on a regular bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’m sure a few will appreciate the pacing from an e bike on the day.

Donate to the charity & enjoy your day on the e bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement