Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a head unit on a turbo..why?

Options
  • 29-09-2021 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a Garmin 830.

there seems to be plenty of screens/profiles on it dedicated to indoor trainers.

I have a smart trainer and Zwift already

is there something this can offer that I don’t have covered with smart trainer/Zwift?

(I assume it would be beneficial for controlling a smart trainer if you didn’t already couple it with Zwift/trainer road etc - I just can’t see too many people going to the expense of buying a smart trainer and then just using it with a Garmin)

Thoughts??

Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

You can create a training plan in garmin connect and use the head unit for workouts in a similar way as you would with trainer road

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't have a relevant Garmin bike computer, but I think all the First Beat/ Recovery stuff only works recorded on a Garmin device. I think some is now taken from TrainerRoad workouts sync'd.

But yes, they can just control a smart turbo like TrainerRoad on a phone or Zwift whatever. With Wahoo you can build in Training Peaks and it'll sync (which also happens with zwift I think). I guess you could save a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cool.. I wonder if you could do these and Zwift @ the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It depends. I run TrainerRoad and Zwift concurrently. TrainerRoad controlling my turbo via ant+, turbo sending (but not controlling) power to zwift via bluetooth. You'd probably have to adjust the settings/ how stuff is paired.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I run a headunit while using Zwift for dual recording plus Zwift doesn’t give lap average power on screen with APTV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement