Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Griffith Valuations - Issues with some maps

• 29-09-2021 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I use AskAboutIreland.ie for all my GV searching, usually I have very few issues bar the map genuinely being missing.

I've been trying to view the maps for a certain area in Longford (Ballinrooey, Abbeylara) but the map doesn't load and remains white (see below)

I noticed this last Thursday/Friday and it is the same whether I am on laptop, phone, or tablet. I have even tried using Incognito mode and still the same.

For comparison, if I look up a map for anywhere else i.e Oranmore Galway it shows up no problem.

Am I out of luck and there is no GV map for Ballinrooey? Or could the system be glitchy?

Are there alternative sites that AskAboutIreland that I can look at the maps?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've actually posted about this a couple of times before (of course, searching stuff so a disaster on the new site!)

I've even emailed the addresses on askaboutireland to query it and some bounced and others never responded. No one is maintaining the site, as far as I know.

Findmypast also has maps - they're in a separate record set to the data. Just checked and they do have Ballinrooey.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Would the historic maps at Geohive been any good to you?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Thanks for the suggestion but those maps, and similar ones under Archaeology.ie lack the GV assigned numberings that denote the specific lands

@pinkypinky thanks, I'll have a look on FindMyPast.

Shame that AskAboutIreland's site hasn't been maintained, it's been a good tool so far to me!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yes, I thought that might be the case, unfortunately.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I had another query on the GV maps.

Taking the below example, I have traced a Moses McGuire/Maguire to Brittas in Wexford. I believe him to be this Moses:

However, when I bring up Brittas/Ballybrittas in the GV maps, there are only 6 plots of land to be seen, instead of the 14 in the sheets above.

I can't find another Brittas (in case I have been looking in the wrong area)

But has anyone noticed the sheets numbering not matching up with some of the maps before?

Yes, that's right. The maps on AAI are a generation later than the primary valuation so the numbers do not always correspond.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ahh okay, thanks. At least I have an idea of the area.

Some of the maps were not in good enough condition to scan and use.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

There is an option to view 3 other map views of Brittas on the top right corner of GV maps. It looks like #8 has been replaced by a #5 on map view 3.

• Advertisement

Take a look at townlands.ie

Townlands.ie is great but it doesn't have the plot references for Griffiths either.

I can't get the maps to work at all anymore on askaboutireland so I can't check what Lime Tree Farm is referring to, but I thought they showed the modern map overlaid in that section.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just below the "Overlay slider" on my screenshot, you can see the option for "map version", number 3 of 3 in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

I use a workaround for maps as long as I can get some map to show. Get the location on some other map and note nearby village, lake etc. Then get any map on askaboutireland and scroll the map until it reaches your location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theres a Brittas in Wicklow (townland of the beach of the same name. And a brittas in Dublin on the north wicklow south west Dublin border.

If you Google www.townlands.ie + Brittas - it will show Brittas in several Counties. Clicking on the option to "show more" will return many more Counties.

Townlands.ie has a link back to 1911, 1901 census and also to the same town land on Griffith's

Advertisement