Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Book Of Boba Fett - Disney+ (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Disney are completely reactive when it comes to all things Star Wars, Rise of Skywalker signals that 100% - but they're still the warm bodies that hold the power; maybe Favreau and Filoni have had enough industry nous over what would sell to those green-lighting the shows. Who knows. We can only speculate being a bunch of bored randos, but it is weird the two aired shows so far have been such ... oddly similar characters (visually at least).

It doesn't really matter in the long run, not if the two shows are entertaining, and that's where this first episode dropped the ball, ultimately. It was fine, but left a weird aftertaste all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

@Tony EH @Need a Username quit bickering. Agree to disagree, take it to PM. Don't think we need this kind of needling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think that's probably close. They were maybe a bit antsy and unsure just how people outside of the Boba Fett fanclub would take to a villain being top billing in the first live action Star Wars TV show. I personally thought that having Fett appear in 'The Mandalorian' was awful. But then, I think his resurrection is awful too. But dead doesn't mean dead in Star Wars.

I suppose that when the fans went ape, they solidified their resolve. But something tells me that the Boba Fett show was on the minds of Disney for some time and 'The Mandalorian' might have been an effort to ease the passage, as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I don’t know how the whole studio thing works there is enough information and gossip from behind the scenes on the movies and enough evidence on screen with the Sequels that Disney haven’t a clue when it comes to Star Wars.

Mando is Favereau’ s own creation and not something cooked up by suits.

• Advertisement

There was no bickering or needling from me.

I’m genuinely curious why someone would devote time to something they said they dislike.

I can live without the answer though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was alright. Nothing gripping as yet. I was worried that it would be heavy on politics which could be very dull. It seems the flashbacks will provide most of the interesting bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well the way Favreau tells it bringing back Boba was entirely a brainwave of his, he needed the character to advance the plot of Mando S2. We don't have to believe this I suppose, but I don't get the impression Disney are working to any great masterplan and on the contrary seem willing to sign off on whatever 'cool' idea their showrunners come up with, irrespective of how well it ties in with the 'canon'.

How did Boba Fett advance the plot of 'The Mandalorian'? If he never appeared it would have played out in a similar fashion anyway. He isn't important in any way to the central story.

As for Disney's lack of plan, I agree. That's been pretty apparent from nearly the beginning. They simply have no clue what to do with this thing which is why the sequels and 'Solo' were floundering messes.

Also worth reminding Boba Fett and Kenobi were meant to get spin off movies til Solo burned out spectacularly. I guess Disney didn't abandon the idea completely and saw potential in Disney+, itself needing "content" to fill its ranks.

Re. Fett's appearance in Mandalorian, I suppose he and Katie Sackoff's character helped expand Mando's own arc and stature by showing where he stood in Mandalorian culture, giving us some insight into the larger shape of the world. We learned our hero was actually a bit of a religious zealot of all things, then nicely tying in with the Bill Barr episode when that zealotry made a necessary infiltration difficult. Fett was, ultimately, fan service but at least he had a vague point and not a complete "please applaud" moment

• Advertisement

Well Bo-Katan offers something for the Mandalorian to mull over in that she is a Mandalorian, but one who has a different code to the one that Din has been brought up with. Fett, IIRC, isn't actually a Mandalorian. He and dear old dad just wear the armour.

The thing is though, while Bo-Katan has a part to play in how Din views things (mainly she's there to tell him that taking his helmet off is OK 😄 ) Boba Fett never appearing on the show would have meant nothing at all, even if his final appearance resulted in some delightfully angry fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Without Boba, Fennec Shand would have died. Then Fennec and Boba wouldn't have been able to help Mando on the planet where Grogu was trying to reach the Jedi when he was kidnapped by the Empire. Mando also would have been stuck there as they destroyed his ship.

Now, that's not to say they couldn't have used a different character other than Boba, but why not bring back Boba?

The way I see it, Boba Fett is an extremely popular character in Star Wars history. But it's largely undeserved imo. His character does f*ck all in the films other than track the Millenium Falcon to Cloud City. He doesn't capture them, Vader does. He just transports Han to Jabba, and in Jedi, gets taken out accidentally by a blinded Han and eaten. He was only ever popular because of his unique look and his toys. His popularity alone is what The Mandalorian was based off to begin with.

So The Mandalorian and now his own show are a good way of actually giving him a story. To see who he is and see why he was a feared bounty hunter. People are asking what the point of this show is, but I'd argue that we simply may not have seen it yet. There may be larger consequences to come out of it, or it just may be planned as a character piece for one of the most popular SW characters and give them their dues.

As a first episode it was a slow burn, but what we've seen of Boba in The Mandalorian and now this first episode have made him a far more interesting character than the movies ever did. I'm interested in the toll his history has taken on his body. I'm interested in his reasons for wanting to take over from Jabba. I'm interested in Fennec and her background, and their relationship with each other, one of respect.

Oh for sure and I accept that we may eventually get a purpose for the show; I'm just not sure how much time I'd spend waiting mind you. It's symptomatic of where TV is now h and the brand of Star Wars - that this loose structure is possible or tried. Could you imagine a network TV show airing a pilot this devoid of some kind of ongoing plot or direction?

I enjoyed Mando but the lead guy in this is just too old. When you've just watched an ep of the expanse, this doesn't hold up very well in comparison. One less show to watch, at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This is the essence of Favreau's version

Without Boba, Fennec Shand would have died. Then Fennec and Boba wouldn't have been able to help Mando on the planet where Grogu was trying to reach the Jedi when he was kidnapped by the Empire. Mando also would have been stuck there as they destroyed his ship.

Now, that's not to say they couldn't have used a different character other than Boba, but why not bring back Boba?

Agree it seems a fairly random, whimsical reason for resurrecting such an iconic character, but I don't get the impression there are more cynical, commercial reasons behind the move.

Just because Fett is the character that saves Fennick and turns up later on to have a scrap doesn't mean that he's advanced the plot of 'The Mandalorian'. Joe Bloggs could have saved Fennick and it wouldn't have mattered. In fact, she could have died and it wouldn't have mattered. You could literally write out both Shand and Fett completely and the plot of 'The Mandalorian' would remain intact.

Fett (and Shand for that matter) is completely superfluous to the plot.

But, of course, you're correct in that his entire resurrection is based purely on cynical, commercial reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The alien Mando captures in the very first scene of the first episode is in Season 2, helping Mando, Gina Carano and Carl Weathers (I can't remember their character names) break into an Empire facility. He could have been a different character, he didn't have to be the same alien from a previous episode. His inclusion was superfluous to the plot. Bill Burr's role in the later episode could also have been a different character.

There's nothing wrong with using recognisable characters in support roles, to avoid having to repeatedly set up too much backstory or history. But yes, like I said, this is them using these chances to create a show for Boba Fett due to his popularity as a SW character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Am I the only one who thought that was 5/5 ???

No the episode gets 5/5 from me. There are many others too I’m sure.

However, it is an internet discussion forum and the topic is Star Wars to the negative nellies are going to be ones posting the most.

Something really I like about the Disney+ shows is the amount of aliens being used for more than just display or to population the pubs.

in this episode Feet and Shand are the only humans in speaking roles (if you count Shand as human) - every other speaking role was alien a mostly Twi’lek but at at least alien.

• Advertisement

People are allowed their opinions: positive, negative or some mix of the two. That it's Star Wars doesn't mean it's exempt from the same kind of feedback a "normal" show might get - or automatically lauded either. If a viewer loved the episode, then cool. If they didn't, also cool. But everyone should feel their opinion is valid and respected, even while being challenged on it in the spirit of debate (and the charter lol). Don't think it's fair to assume there's a lurking cadre of "haters" either; I found episode 1 a flat, lifeless watch but if others found entertainment, as said. Cool.

I never said a Star Wars project was exempt from anything - feedback, criticism, etc. - nor did I say it should be be automatically praised.

please read more carefully.

I said it is a discussion forum and the topic is Star Wars - this does bring out the negative nellies who go overboard - I never mentioned lurking or a cadre of haters. There are those - not just for Star Wars, but for lots of things. You be mad to deny there is. However I never said they were here on this forum.

I just said negative nellies.

and I never said people didn’t have a right to criticise the show nor that there was anything wrong with people not liking it.

I asked one guy, who said he watch Star Wars even though he didn’t like it at all, why he did so and how he had the time to it. He got annoyed about me asking, you asked us to stop and that was it.

At no point did I protest against people posting their opinions

I don’t like that you putting words in my mouth (or whatever the equivalent is here).

@Need a Username I asked one guy, who said he watch Star Wars even though he didn’t like it at all, why he did so and how he had the time to it. He got annoyed about me asking, you asked us to stop and that was it.

Maybe it's you who needs to read more carefully there Mr. Superfan.

What I said was "Personally, I couldn't give a toss about Boba Fett or most of Star Wars, to be honest, as it's largely rubbish." That's not even close to how you're trying to frame it.

If you're going to get your knickers in a twist because some people on a discussion forum aren't as enthusiastic as you are about an episode of TV, you'd probably do well to avoid such websites.

Ah lads. Will ye stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

😁

LOL

Bored Wars more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Great start, seeing Jabbas palace and his escape from the Sarlacc pit had me really excited!

2nd half not as great, thought the four armed monster was silly, just an excuse to add a new type of creature ... would have been better if it were a smaller version of a rancor ... just for the nostalgia of ROTJ of course.

Oh yeah, unrelated but I can't wait for the Kenobi series!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: Started out feeling like the first episode but definitely improved towards the end.

So, now he's Boba Fett

of the clan McTusken! 🙂

Felt like an episode in 3 parts

1st the continuation of the feel of the first episode .. though credit for the Hutts.. I was like 'oh, maybe they were saving money to do the computer work to show the Hutts.

2nd Train Job. I thought this was alright, was kinda rootin for the warrior Tusken who went into the train, got a lol out of the psycho train driver droid 😁

3rd Dream journey and joining the ranks of the Tuskens. Getting an exploration of the Tuskens sounds good. Nods to Dune all over the place 😁 I burst out laughing with the lizard jumping into his head 😂 The dream itself and later the crafting of the weapon felt meaningful in itself.

I assume then for the future

It's gonna be himself and the Tuskens who do a takeover on Tatooine.. though saying that, he might have built up some of his valued "Respect" in helping the moisture farmers out in that tavern so they might be part of it too. So in these future scenes, he might well have a lot of allies that just haven't been shown yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

50 minute episode! And it was awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dances with Tuskens.

Was trying to tell but from the look of it the Super Tusken is female?

Considering the language barrier, how did Boba and the Tuskens discuss the plan for controlling the sands and tolls?

Boba just doesn't come across as very threatening in the present and it seems others have noticed.

Advertisement