Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH 1GB - Keeps Dropping - Common Experience?

Options
  • 29-09-2021 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have the 1000/100 connection FTTH with f2000 modem/router. I have it connected to an Orbi system in AP mode.

I'm experiencing way too many drop outs - i.e. the modem / router just turning off its lights. It started by turning off the "phone" light, and now every now and then its just got the power light on. It wasn't always like this.

The fibre routing was a chore through long ducts, but done and we were going really well for a while - no issues. Getting what we paid for etc.

Then, we had a few RCB trips in the house and the router got shut off a few times.

Since then, its been patchy with the router simply not lighting up for "internet" and needing a power-cycle. Twice tonight for example, and without any power issues.

On re-start, its all fine, until it happens again. The router just stops getting the "internet" signal. This is what troubles we. A modem re-start always seems to clear whatever the problem is until it happens again.

I notice on the GPON in the shed, that the "LAN" light is always flickering, never solid. I don't know what that means / indicates.

My only figuring is that the other boxes installed by KN-Circet are powered by a self-made extension cord - i.e. I wall mounted sockets and wired them over flex to a plug through a ceiling void. I always just figured power was power, but maybe its losing power even for a nanosecond, I dunno...the router itself is powered into a socket installed right off the consumer unit.

I can't figure it on being a fault in the line, as it works until it doesn't.

The set up is

Road Manhole to Fibre to Shed to Terminal to Cat5e cable to Router to Orbi

Any shared experience or hints would help.

HP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭allen175

This all sounds like it is a problem with the modem, on my F3000 I had similar issues, I would get no internet on any devices but when I go out to the modem all the lights are still on, it would need a reboot to get it back working again. Would also have the same issue with the phone just unregistering and the light going out.

I don't think it is a great modem at all, but we can't put a 3rd party one in place if you have the voip service from them.

Once all the lights are still on the gpon 2 solid green and the flashing lan light (which is normal, just indicates activity between itself and the modem) you should still have a solid fibre connection and that isn't dropping out.

I replaced my F3000 and I haven't had any issues since, so contact EIR and see if they can send you out a new modem, it should solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Drop the F2000 temporarily, use that a diagnostic step.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭happyplants

Not a bad idea. I'll line up a replacement.

Edit: Or, I might be able to use the Orbi as a router. I'll look into it!

Advertisement