Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Salary

Options
  • 29-09-2021 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

In my final year of an Accounting degree in IT Sligo and am considering doing a masters in NUIG. I just wanted to know would there be much difference salary wise between an honors degree and masters degree.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

It's been a while since I qualified but there is used to be a 1000 or so. A very small amount in the difference. The main reason for doing a masters was because the ACCA training contract was 3.5 years normally with 2 main sets of exams, but with a qualifying masters was shortened to 3 years and 1 set of exams(FAEs). Also, if you train with the Big 4, they will pay for the course fees.

Personally, I'd say those are minor factors in deciding to do a masters. If you enjoy academics, it's a good decision but if you've had enough of college and feel you want to get into the world of work, then that's the better option for you. In industry, there was never a distinction between who had one and who hadn't and the pay difference had disappeared at the end of the 3 year contract. A lot of partners/directors wouldn't have done one so your in good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Staunton96

Bit late but the answer is not really - like above maybe a grand or so. Training contract 3.5 years without a masters, 3 years with a masters. Don't do a masters unless you are being sponsored by the Big 4 is my advice.

Advertisement