Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reason why a case of a serious nature would go entirely unreported in the media here?

• 30-09-2021 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have recently become aware of sentencing of somebody I know regarding a crime of a very serious nature. There seems to have been no reportage of this case,both in national or local news media. What would the reason for this be? Again, I stress the crime wasnt a parking fine. Thanks.

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It could be a load of different reasons. Firstly the court reporter in that court was not present or was reporting on a more important case and didn’t have time to prepare the report.

Secondly, the court reporter might have missed the deadline.

Third, it might not have been an interesting case.

Fourth, there might be reporting restrictions. These might relate to the fact that reporting it might identify the victim or there are other ongoing cases that could be adversely impacted by reporting this case.

Or finally it might be reported but you have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Maybe the case wasn’t as serious as you considered it to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CaitCat

Newspapers have a limited number of court reporters and that means some cases will be missed.

There is a list of cases the news desk gets and it may have conflicted with one they have been covering or it did not sound like much of a case.

You could send an anonymous tip to a journalist. There may have been a news agency reporter at the case and they can publish that copy.

Advertisement