Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Costs Brake Pads, Discs and CV Boot cover

• 30-09-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi Guys,

Need to get a set of rear brake pads and discs and a new CV Boot x 1 cover for front fitted on a 2016 Hyundai Tuscon Diesel. What would you expect to pay?

Bestdrive are quoting me:

Brakes & Discs €290, CV Boot cover €120.

Sounds expensive..🤔🤔

Comments

These days should long gone where anyone changed the CV boot. Do not even dream about universal CV boot, it is garbage. These days they replace entire unit, not only boot. I think it is correct way to do because if the boot is already bad, it takes only short time until dust and sand goes in and destroy everything. I do not know what material was made the brakes what they offered to you but relative good brands for your car cost from 60eur discs and 30eur pads. CV boot 20eur. Add installation and these prices looks acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

First of all. Best drive are a rip off, go to an indie with good reviews, if the CV boot has just recently ripped, then it's okay to just change the boot and re-grease the joint in my opinion. If joint is filled with crud you'll have to replace the entire (I presume outer) CV joint. €290 for rear discs and pads is outrageous. Small pads and smaller discs than the front, If there's a electronic handbrake you'll have to bring it to a garage unless you have the software to release the e brake yourself, id recommend you buy the parts yourself, may cost around €120 for good quality discs and pads for the rear, ask a garage to fit them for you, they'll charge 1hrs labour, you'll pay less than €200.

Hope all works out well for you O.P

These days it is hard to find the garage who accept customers parts. They all like to sell to you parts, because there is big money. We calculate here only single purchase prices, the garages can get easily 30-50% discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

That's total rubbish. Maybe 20 years ago it happened. Motor factors are commonly selling parts to retail customers at the same price as they do to the garages.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What do you mean change the whole unit?

Do you mean the driveshaft? CV joint??Because if you do its more of your telling people the wrong information. Its quite acceptable to just change the boot.

Id hate to bring my car to a "local car mechanic" with a CV boot gone who then decides to change the whole shaft or joint - thats just plain wrong telling people to change the whole unit when a boot will do.

If it wasnt acceptable to change just the boot then dealers parts departments / motor factors wouldnt sell the boot on its own.

• Advertisement

This is your money what you burning so fast. Do you really like to do the same job 2 or 3 times. It goes that way because you like to save every time bit money. Thank for that kind of attitude, our junk yards is flooded by cars. Soon as CV boot is damaged and sand goes indise, that joint have left 500-1000km life time. Sure you can keep driving until it does not drive anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Sorry local car mechanic but your talking bollix.

I'm 40 years in the trade, and I'm well intitled to tell you that.

And don't bother replying as I won't be engaging with you.

Good, I hit the right spot. Tell to us what exactly hurts you? The pricing, sloppy work or something else? Less than 5 minutes and 3 posts, it must be something very hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd definitely stay away from bestdrive, take it to a good independent garage. I'd probably just put a cv boot on it unless a new complete driveshaft was cheap as its probably less work, I've used universal stretch boots for a long time and they've always lasted years

Advertisement