Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road signs and Irish Language

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

It was voted on when we adopted the Constitution, I suppose. I don't really see the point in a referendum. Either things stay the same or we vote to surrender an important part of our national heritage and become West England. It would be like Brexit - ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

Much better things to do with our political time. Like discussing adopting nicer roadsigns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If the Irish name's not used by the people who actually live there, then not having the English name on signage is a denial of reality really. It's speaks of a serious insecurity among the Gaeileoir community if you think that place names need to be in Irish to keep the language alive. Even when the English place names are in regular use by the majority of the population. It's like the way my name was Irishised in school for roll call even though there are no direct Irish translations for either of my christian name or surname and it was never used outside roll call. ie it was pointless.

I go back to my original point. Both English and Irish place names should be on all road signage in the country. Especially when barely anyone living in these places uses the Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Just popping in to say thanks to all valiantly working to keep this thread on-topic. Some very interesting reading.

To those attempting to discuss the use/prominence/status of the Irish language, a simple request: please could that be done elsewhere? There are entrenched views on both sides and it takes from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

All I ask is they get rid of the italics, even the Irish-only Gaeltacht road signs are in italics. Italics are brutal to try to read while driving. We can thank Pádraig Flynn (anyone remember him?) for bringing in this visual and cultural abomination in 1988.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/si/292/made/en/print

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@EthanL13 Thanks for the link!

Regarding the whitespace, my mistake - I was still thinking of one of the earlier signboard designs on the thread.

"Route numbers on the other hand - I think we'll have to agree to disagree. To me it's the best way of highlighting them, it grabs the attention of the reader and it distinguishes them from the destinations."

That’s kind of the problem. It grabs the attention, but the colouring scheme you’ve used means that regional routes grab more attention than national primary routes, because a white block with black text drawn on dark blue is more distinctive than a green block with yellow text. That visual appearance is at odds with the true hierarchy, where N roads are more important than R-roads.

"You'd just have to hope that people will know that N roads are the main roads and R roads are not."

... and that’s precisely the problem that you avoid when you take colour away. Our roads are numbered with the most important routes given a low number. That pattern of low-numbers being important is well understood from all areas of life, so seeing "N12" or "R201" as options, without any colour-coding, or knowledge of the Irish road network you will guess correctly that N12 is a more significant route nationally than R201, because 12 is a lower number than 201.

The ship diagram is better, but the waves are extraneous detail: if it looks like a boat, it does not require “water” underneath - just like there’s no need to put a cloud beside the plane diagram. Fine detail like this just does not work on a road-sign, which has to be read quickly often in bad weather. Simple, recognisable, shapes work best, and sometimes you have to give up real-world accuracy for intelligibility (this is why the speed-camera looks like a bellows, why we have steam-trains on signs and why services show a fork-and-spoon not fork-and-knife).

You’ve also removed a useful piece of information from that ship diagram: the truck and car indicates that the destination is a Roll-on-Roll-off ferry service that takes both freight lorries and cars. Without any vehicles shown, it’s a direction to a bulk port, as here:

(Note how L34141 jumps out on this sign - it should be on a white patch with the name of that neighbourhood on it. Although in this specific case, where the road is literally for local access to about 10 houses, I think this is is where the old “Local Access” destination should be used)

"But in my opinion, it's pointless in redesigning our signs if they're going to remain almost identical as they are currently. There are clear attempts on the current signage to move away from the UK design, such as more European gantries, the (awful) chevrons on roundabout diagrams and the use of grey backboards on flag signs."

I understand that the use of the chevrons was a deficiency of the equipment originally used to make these signs, but as it is now how the signs look, it has to stay. We have avoided the big diagrammatic signs used in the UK, largely because they’re expensive, but also because they are a kind of information overload, especially on relatively simple junctions that really only offer a left or right turn. For most junctions, our simpler "left for these places, right for these places" advance signage does the same job without the space or fuss. Ironically, the one place where diagrammatic signs do help, in cities, is the one place where they look ugly and oversized.

Grey backgrounds on flag signs makes the signs cheaper and more durable (the point is very weak on a fully cut pointer flag, so they usually require a turned lip for strength, which is more expensive to manufacture) and also more legible, as you can use the backing plate to obscure other signage that might be the same field of view. It also makes the stacking of flag signs simpler and less irregular. I see that as an improvement over British practice, not a deficiency. (the design of the flags themselves can be poor sometimes, but that’s a different issue, and would happen with or without the backgrounds).

"If all the signs are to be replaced you may as well come up with a unique design, like I've done (though it's clearly not perfect), or at the very least replace the arrows with something better and use only one font for all signs."

But a clean-sheet design is not practical: we have thousands of kilometres of roads with the current signage installed. The general design of any new signage must be consistent with what else is in use, otherwise you’re just confusing people.

These aren’t designs, they’re the products of a design system, and that system has rules that people pick up without ever seeing them written down (e.g., distances are always to the right of place-names; an arrow tells you what turn is coming up, a fingerpost flag tells you where the turn is)

A design like yours that re-writes the basic principles of the system could never be applied without wholesale replacement of all signage, which would create needless confusion. When we moved to this system, we had no widely-applied systematic design for signage, so there was no loss; now that we do, adopting any completely new system would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 EthanL13

It grabs the attention, but the colouring scheme you’ve used means that regional routes grab more attention than national primary routes, because a white block with black text drawn on dark blue is more distinctive than a green block with yellow text. That visual appearance is at odds with the true hierarchy, where N roads are more important than R-roads.

This solves this route number issue, now all route numbers stand out. But it's too colourful now.

Our roads are numbered with the most important routes given a low number. That pattern of low-numbers being important is well understood from all areas of life, so seeing "N12" or "R201" as options, without any colour-coding, or knowledge of the Irish road network you will guess correctly that N12 is a more significant route nationally than R201, because 12 is a lower number than 201.

The vast majority of European countries follow this system too. So there shouldn't really be confusion in the first place.

The ship diagram is better, but the waves are extraneous detail

The ferry diagram is German, it isn't something I've made myself.

You’ve also removed a useful piece of information from that ship diagram: the truck and car indicates that the destination is a Roll-on-Roll-off ferry service that takes both freight lorries and cars. Without any vehicles shown, it’s a direction to a bulk port

Perhaps an anchor symbol (for example) would suffice to differentiate between the two ports?

We have avoided the big diagrammatic signs used in the UK, largely because they’re expensive, but also because they are a kind of information overload, especially on relatively simple junctions that really only offer a left or right turn. For most junctions, our simpler "left for these places, right for these places" advance signage does the same job without the space or fuss.

The change to chevrons on roundabout diagrams was unnecessary though. If we kept the "British" style of ADS forks, why didn't we do the same for roundabouts too? But yes, definitely prefer our ADS signs over the British diagram signs. Maybe to develop on this, all diagram signs (with the obvious exception of roundabout signs) should be replaced in the same way? Sweden for example does not use forks on their ADS signs. But just a random idea, forks probably explain the situation better.

Grey backgrounds on flag signs makes the signs cheaper and more durable (the point is very weak on a fully cut pointer flag, so they usually require a turned lip for strength, which is more expensive to manufacture) and also more legible, as you can use the backing plate to obscure other signage that might be the same field of view. It also makes the stacking of flag signs simpler and less irregular. I see that as an improvement over British practice, not a deficiency. (the design of the flags themselves can be poor sometimes, but that’s a different issue, and would happen with or without the backgrounds).

It's definitely better in most cases, but I think it can be a bit over-excessive at times.

But a clean-sheet design is not practical: we have thousands of kilometres of roads with the current signage installed. The general design of any new signage must be consistent with what else is in use, otherwise you’re just confusing people.

I don't know, it still seems kind of pointless to me if the design is going to remain exactly the same with the exception of the text. Otherwise, you could keep the signs as they are and just follow the current practice of "replacing" text (generally for when there's spelling mistakes), just you're replacing every single instance of text.

Post edited by EthanL13 on

But we are talking about road signage, not sat navs.

The change to chevrons on roundabout diagrams was unnecessary though. If we kept the "British" style of ADS forks, why didn't we do the same for roundabouts too?  But yes, definitely prefer our ADS signs over the British diagram signs. Maybe to develop on this, all diagram signs (with the obvious exception of roundabout signs) should be replaced in the same way?

As I said, I heard that the chevrons change was down to a cost reasons initially, and then the design stuck.

We only kept the fork signs on or around divided roads, and I think they work very well there. Plus, the design doesn’t use much extra space. It’s certainly much better than other alternatives. Of the other junction types, only roundabouts really need a diagram, and for some, presenting the actual layout makes it harder to figure out, for example this beauty, Hangar Lane on London’s North Circular Road:

This junction functions like a large roundabout, that is really all you need to know about it to navigate it: you turn left to enter, turn left to exit, and check your lanes while on it. Showing it on the advance sign like this makes it needlessly complicated for drivers.

Sweden for example does not use forks on their ADS signs. But just a random idea, forks probably explain the situation better.

Definitely: That sign doesn’t really work for me at all. I think it really needs a second arrow, pointing upward, to the left of the road-numbers on the upper panel. Then it becomes something very much like our general-purpose advance direction signage.

seems kind of pointless to me if the design is going to remain exactly the same with the exception of the text.

For me, the text is one area that isn’t good on our current signage. Everything else is either better than the alternatives, or just a matter of taste. I do consider Kinnear and Calvert’s designs for the UK to be the benchmark in the field (Calvert’s pictograms in particular are by far the clearest set in use anywhere, although we always seem to pick and choose between her designs and the old Vienna set over here) - a reminder that there was a time when our next-door neighbour actually did things right. But the designs were done after most countries had already settled into their own signage, and it’s hard to replace good-enough with a-bit-better, even without considering national pride.

We still haven’t got gantries right, and some of the earlier designs have ug-leeee text placement. They do, however, function as required. And even speaking as a designer, I would prefer functional over pretty every single time.

@Piollaire Thank you for that link! I thought the change had been made in the 1970s. Just shows how little signage there was in the 1980s. There are a couple still in Cork, if you know where to look. These are near Turner’s Cross: I think they date to the time of the South City Link Road.

(Just noticed the small t in "Cionn tSaile"!)

Post edited by KrisW1001 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 deeznuts420

I've never thought there was a problem with road signs and the Irish language before honestly

• Advertisement

Thoughts?

Post edited by EthanL13 on

I think you’re trying to cram too much information onto one sign, and there are still far too many lines on the surface. Why separate the top from the bottom? That design might suggests that maybe J7 is coming up, but the list below it is on the mainline. The placement of the R406 boxout makes it ambiguous about whether only R406 leads to Naas, or to all of the destinations (which is the truth).

Remember for something like this, you only have around a half a second of the driver’s attention. Don’t make them work too hard.

There’s also too many destinations on it for an ADS for a motorway junction. The real sign (at 1km) omits Straffan, as you can see here:

Here’s how I’d improve that layout, but without throwing everything away.

In principle, this sign serves the same purpose as a fork sign, so I’ve tried to keep the item placement as close as possible to that design, which is very familiar to drivers.

1. arrow to bottom left adopts the the same pattern as seen on the roadside fork sign
    2. Angle of the arrow changed to match that on forks.
    3. the route number becomes part of the destinations list, but drawn larger (again, echoing the pattern seen in fork signs).
    4. Junction number moves to the top, where it is on fork signs (albeit at top-left, not top-right)

I think it’s better than what’s there (not hard), without needing to forget everything you’ve learned by driving here for years. It can also coexist with older versions of the same sign.

@KrisW1001 I've edited the image, so you can see what the current sign looks like. As you can see, Straffan is included on it, and the "Next Exit" is separated, hence why I did the same (it makes sense to me to have it separated). I did away with the text (slí amach does not translate to 'next exit' anyway; that would (an) c(h)éad slí amach eile, if I'm correct).

Also, if people are familiar with the concept of route confirmatory signs (motorway + E route numbers at the top, with destinations to the left and distances to the right), there should be no confusion at all. But fair point about the placement of the route number.

Personally, I would align the route number with the junction number (I don't really like the way either one is "floating", like with the current signs). Also dislike the angle of the arrow. The italics and capitals are just for example, not something you'd keep, right?

The italics are difficult to read. Maybe that's just me!

@hans aus dtschl yes, that’s the exact problem. The madey-uppey capital A, N and N make this worse. I didn’t mind the dotless I on the older version of this signage - at least that has a precedent in old Irish, where overdots aleady had a use: on consonants in places where modern spelling now inserts a following H. (for example: Teaċ Srafáın rather than "Teach Srafáin")

@EthanL13 I didn’t realise that you were redoing the “next exit 2km" sign. Your right-hand one is the better option, but if you are going to use the circular sign, it needs to be bigger. I’d put the route number at top on the left column, as that makes it less ambiguous.

Bear in mind, though, that your right-hand design only works because “An Nás / Naas” is such a short name - probably one of the shortest in the country. Also, I think the 5 tonne weight limit applies to Straffan too. Granted, that’s not very clear from the original either, but your design makes this even less so.

Anyone local knows Belmullet = Béal an Mhuirthead. Anyone who doesn't know how to get to Belmullet will use sat nav. Problem solved. The language of the signs isn't changing anytime soon. My advice is to deal with this fact. You already know that Belmullet = Béal an Mhuirthead, the same way you know that Lisbon = Lisboa, Venice = Venezia so I don't understand what the point of your complaint is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

A lot of destinations Irish names on signs look like they are just made up and not real.

There is no complaint, why does it agitate you so much when brought up in discussion?

In fact, just to prove how pointless this whole "why aren't the signs in English because I'm linguistically challenged (lazy)" argument is, I typed the least cognate places in the Gaeltacht into Google Maps: An Fhairche, Ailt an Chorráin agus Béal an Mhuirthead. They all appeared in Irish with their English translation too.

Ergo, there is no argument to be made about Irish-only road signs no more than French-only road signs or Italian etc. Locals in these areas know where to go, so no issues there. Tourists, visitors, truck drivers etc who would need to use sat nav anyway, will use sat nav which is equipped to work in either language.

You lot who spend your lives moaning about Irish on road signs seriously need to get a life and find something more useful to invest your energies in, like learning a language, rather than expecting the world to bend to your unilingual echo chamber.

Because you're burdening this very interesting forum which was & is about the design of signs, font of Irish etc with an utterly tangential rant about your insecure views towards Irish/bilingualism/childhood trauma learning the gender of nouns/God knows what else.

• Advertisement

Au contraire a chara, I made an innocent comment fully on topic and have since been swooped upon by the Gaelgoiri warriors. Culminating in you telling me to stop complaining and use a satnav. With regards derailing the thread, one thing I can absolutely gaurantee, you bully buchailllis will never ever stop replying because you crave getting the last word, you think you win the argument by shouting everone else down. I on the other hand have no such sorry affliction.

Dia ditch.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Ahhh...is that why there is no dot on the Irish I in these signs? Every day is a school day. It would make perfect sense if the signs were in the old script but we moved to standard Roman in the middle of the 20th century.

@HabibiLibneni You've fought the good fight and won the argument, but I would suggest stopping feeding the trolls. I can rarely tell if the persecution complex is real or fake, but it's usually best ignored entirely.

Yep I learned something new today too, thanks KrisW!

I like the Irish being on the signs because it often shows how to pronounce the Anglicised version. Bealagh Beama (Bealach Béime), Lauragh (An Láithreach) for example. It's convenient when you're far from home and not sure how places are called. But the italics makes it difficult for me, for instance the lower-case letters R and N together "rn" compared with lower-case M.

I understand that some people despise the Irish language. And I understand that some people love the Irish language. But that discussion really takes from this thread which has some genuinely interesting stuff in it. Thanks again to all feeding the thread with genuine info/detail.

I'm rose red scarlet for you, really and truly, that's a pitiful attempt at a come back, which completely ignores the fact you had 0 intention of contributing positively to the conversation, thus I and others rightly called you out for it. The sorry attempt to 'rise' me and others by deliberately misspelling Irish is like something I'd expect from a 5th class child. You absolute sap. G'luck troll. 😂😬👋🏽

Back to the topic at hand, I think there's a general consensus that the italics for Irish need to go and be replaced with consistency in font in both languages. Does anyone think the EU Commission might push for uniformity in road signage design throughout the union at some point? We're already an outlier when it comes to our use of the yellow diamond road signs, but every EU country has its own unique subtleties when it comes to directional signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Ah now 57 % voting yes from of 37 % of the electorate in 1937 is always up for ammendment.

I'd love to see what happened and Brexit is great anyone who thinks different is a Anglophile :).

Lad, even your own team is embarrassed by your hysterics and has told you to pipe down. Cuinass anois. Ta tu ag caint diarrhea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

declutter the signs and make the content in slightly bigger font, in one language... every Irish speaker speaks English so have the signs in English, big font so that a cursory glance reveals all the information as opposed to a cluttered up mess ...

@HabibiLibneni Unlikely in the short to medium term, I think. There doesn't seem to be any particular interest in standardising road signs across the EU, nor does it seem critical. I've never had a problem understanding the signs and signals in other EU countries, and besides, the Vienna Convention already sets some minimum standards.

I wasn't aware of the Vienna Convention. I agree, I see no need for it, but it might be something that could happen in future given EU harmonisation on so many other things. On the subject of colour, is it just me or has the green background on national primary and secondary routes changed in recent years? I know older signs from the late 80s were a kind of mustard colour, but the shade of green in recent years on new roads seems different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Everyone speaks and reads English , some people are fluent in Irish, all warning signs should be in Irish and English , signs exist to direct people where to go and to warn people of roadworks or some hazard, eg Road closed . Remember rural areas depend on tourism to some extent

You can't expect tourists to read Irish signs or warning signs in Irish maybe people from the Gaeltacht don't like tourists or need them if they

put up some signs in Irish only

Advertisement