Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭endainoz

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

crew/vendor/production? - that would determine where you can stay

Possibly more likely as an ATN headliner with the way things are these days, but who knows? The raconteurs owe us a tour next year, as do rage of course...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

they were phenomenal at Indie this year. Defo one not to miss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I know Salty Dog hasn't been announced yet, but just imagine the Mary Wallopers playing it. The place would be bouncing. Here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭rubick

I put her as first choice for ATN International Artist in the tickets competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Stillill42

all i remember from her gig at ep was freezing my tits off

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

This lot are deadly!! definitely on my list now. Thanks Stillill.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Phishwax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ec2022

.a

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ec2022

Working for a company who needs to have access to every part of it for emergency purposes and was told were getting all access wristbands just waiting for them now atm. But taught we could go into any campsite was wondering what would be the best

if its production i would suggest production camping, which has moved this year towards family a little more, no more than 3 minutes to main stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Saw them at EP 2019 on the 3 Music stage, one of my favourite acts of that weekend

They released a decent album aswell since then so well worth going tonsee them

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

One of the bands I won't be missing, also hoping for a late night salty dog set from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Lightning Bolt laid waste to Whelans last night. This is what we need at Irish festivals 😁😎

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I finished my first listen through of the acts on the Main poster, Fishtown, & Trailer Park yesterday. This is my shortlist so far. Although I’m not sure 41 acts is a particularly short list.

My definite list:

Fontaines D.C., Gang of Youths, London Grammar, Mick Flannery & Susan O'Neill, Orla Gartland, RSAG, Wolf Alice

Acts I’ll try to catch:

Amy Michelle, Cruel Sister, For Those I Love, Fred Again.., Griff, Havvk, Jack Lukeman, Just Mustard, Lime Cordiale, Lucy Blue, Naked Lungs, Perfume Genius, Rina Sawayama, Rowan, Scattered Ashes, Sun Mahshene, The Florentinas, The Oozes, Thumper, Touts, Willow

Acts I’ve already seen this year and would recommend:

Attention Bebe, Branwen, Cherym, CMAT, King Kong Company, Kneecap, KYNSY, Le Boom, Nixer, Saint Sister, Sorcha Richardson, Sprints, The Scratch

I also have a long list of acts that I’d be happy to listen to for a while. I can’t see myself being without something to do over the weekend.

I’ll be camping in Eco so I’ll likely see some of you over the weekend. As others have said I don’t think I could handle gen pop. In previous years I’ve found a spot where the tree line turns to the south west on the opposite side to where the entrance was last year. The trees there give great shade from the morning and early afternoon sun. I have a Fresh & Black tent for this year, so I’ll likely be closer to the entrance.

Other years I have noticed Mucker was frequently at the same stages as me. Looking at his recommendations so far that looks likely to happen again.

That’s the constructive element of the post over. Most of you should skip over the rest. I’m going to indulge myself with a little bit more capacity discussion.

I agree that the capacity of Terminus was 8,000 in 2019, that number is clearly stated in the press releases. Do you have a source for the capacity of the Electric Arena being 8,000? According to the press/promotion pieces below the capacity was 10,000 in 2017.

https ://imro. ie/news/king-kong-company-back-with-a-bang-with-new-single-my-name-is-now/

“Last year King Kong Company played the Electric Arena, and even though it was 3PM on a Sunday afternoon, and even though Waterford were playing in the All Ireland Hurling Final, 10,000 wonderful lunatics turned up and tore the roof off the place.”

https ://www.whelanslive .com/event/kila/

“Kíla’s 3rd live album and first on vinyl was released in 2017, and to promote it, they performed over 60 concerts. Highlights included UK’s Boomtown and Beautiful Days, Russia’s KAMWA World Music Festival and Ireland’s Electric Picnic, where they filled the Electric Arena tent to its 10,000 capacity.”

I’ve also found press pieces which give the capacity as 12,000 (Versatile); 13,000 (King Kong Company); or 14,000 (also Versatile) in 2018.

The Olympia is a good example to use because it is also owned by Live Nation. The space left at the sides is because they are required to keep a fire exit route clear from each of the bars. The space at the back is for the same reason and also because it is all restricted view and they aren’t allowed included it in the net viewable area calculation. They’re not leaving that space empty out of the goodness of their hearts.

The Olympia website gives the full seated capacity of the venue as 1,247. As you say the capacity increases by 374, to 1,621, when the 537 ground floor seats are removed. This gives a standing capacity of 911 (537+ 374).

I’ve always found the Olympia seats to be a bit of a tight fit. Based on this I’ve estimated the area occupied by each seat to be 70cm * 60cm on the low side and 80cm * 65cm on the high side. There are 20 rows in the seat block and 32 seats in the widest rows.

I’ll assume the standing area available is equivalent to 600 seats, which I’ve calculated from 640 (20*32 total seats in a full block) – 28 (Sound Desk) – 12 (space in front of stage left entrance/exit). These values give a floor standing area of between 252m2 and 312m2 which makes the range of the crowd density factor to be between 2.9 and 3.6 people per m2.

Alternatively, the FOH Seating Mix Position document on the page below suggests that the seat block is 15m from front to back and 16.5m wide at the widest point. This puts the standing area available at 247.5m2 and makes the crowd density factor 3.68 people per m2.

https ://www.3olympia .ie/about-us/venue-rental-tech-info

I would argue that the Olympia, like most commercial venues, is operating at the limit of what is allowed under the relevant safe holding capacity guidelines and fire safety legislation. 300/400 hundred extra people are not squashed in because the venue wouldn’t get insurance/would make their existing policy invalid and the directors could be found personally liable if an incident were to occur and the company couldn’t cover the damages.

I’ll agree the space available in the pit area is great. This is because it’s a small area with good sightlines to the stage from anywhere, so people spread themselves evenly around the area. It’s also helped because of people who get a wristband and then leave the pit to join their friends that arrived later.

The rest of the standing area is a different story. You wouldn’t want to have personal space issues if you were standing in the front third of the main crowd. Most of the back third has a restricted view because of the circle support columns so people press forward to get a view.

I’m not entirely clear why you think the crowd density in the Olympia is “for our safety” but the possibly smaller, and certainly in the same range, densities on the EP licence application are sardine crush levels.

However, having said all of that, I’m not sure why Festival Republic are using the value of 0.3 m2 per person. Unless they are allowed count the marquee walls as part of a multiple barrier system, or there is a section in the guidelines for temporary structures which I haven’t found, the relevant section of the guidelines they reference reads:

“(iii) in pitches and open areas, subject to the deduction of the area taken up by the stage and other structures, and the deduction of areas sterilized by viewing obstructions (including the mixer tower), sightlines, etc., the holding capacity should be calculated on the basis of:-

(a) 0.5. m2 /person for the nett area available where there is only one front- of-stage barrier, and

(b) where a multiple barrier system is used the holding capacity of the areas contained within the barriers should be taken as 0.3  m2 /person; outside of the barrier areas a figure of 0.5 m2 /person over the nett remaining area should be used.”

https ://eiai .ie/currentframework/code-of-practice-for-safety-at-outdoor-pop-concerts-and-other-outdoor-musical-events/07-safe-holding-capacity/

The full 118 page document also has an interesting piece on campsites which I think I’ve only ever seen being implemented for campervans.

“24.22 A safe holding capacity for each campsite should be determined with the Local Authority, Gardaí and Health Board. This safe holding capacity should take into account the above guidelines and also the provision of a minimum space of 3 metres, in all directions around each tent or other temporary dwelling. The number of persons permitted should not exceed 600 per hectare.”

I'll shut-up about it now. This was an interesting distration. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

To continue the praise for The Scratch, they're brillant live. Really get the crowd going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Hi CoffeeImpala defo will be at a lot the same this year again say hello as I don't know what you look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Tempted to go on Thursday for the first time. Saves an awful lot of hassle on the Friday. The only downside seems to be the restrictions on re-entry if you head into Stradbally village on Thur evening, but that’s only a minor issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

We went on Thursday at ATN for the first time and will be going on Thursday for EP.

I really thought it was a great way to start the weekend.

No matter how much I plan, I never leave as early as I plan to on the Friday. Then we are at the mercy of traffic and queues. It can become to much of a rush to get there, get in, get the tent up and get festivalling.

Compared to having loads of time to spare on Thursday, having a quiet enough evening and night to start the weekend and waking up ready to go on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

It really makes a difference. Would definitely recommend. I also really hope that the talk of opening up the Red carpark and main entrance on Thursday is true. It seems bizarre that they'd send 20,000 people through the paintball entrance. With increased numbers on Thursday they should open at noon rather than 4pm imo.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

The only thing I am worried about now is have they underestimated the impact of so many people (20k?) people all being driven to use one carpark and one gate/wristband exchange?

I really hope they do a last minute reconsider and open the red carpark and entrance.

We arrived at 3.40pm last time and there was already 100 people in the queue ahead of us at Paintball Entrance. There was a bit of a scramble for the line too at 4pm, they need to sort that. Don't think they were expecting so many.

Yeah I'm going for my first Thursday this year too. Also for anyone in pink moon, please note they also want an extra tenner for early entry because they're a shower of gouging b*stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Stillill42

So are we expecting anything today?

Salty Dog/Salty Harbour would be great.

Yaaaar.

• Advertisement

Really thought we'd get Hazelwood/spike island today .

I feel like I've been banging on about them all week 😂

Advertisement