Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

70k punters makes it one of the bigger festivals in Europe, and almost at Oxegen capacity.

They really need to up their game in the top 2 tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Interesting stuff here from Nialler9

Main stage capacity has increased.

The main arena will increase in size by 60 and the Jimi Hendrix arena entrance has doubled in size.

Body & Soul is no more – instead it’s called Mind & Body (a change first touted in 2020 with the B&S festival moving on).

Jerry Fish’s area is expanding to a carnival town called Fish Town, inspired by a love of theatrical tall tales, circus culture and amazing music moves into the woods and includes The Jerry Fish Electric Sideshow Circus Tent, pop-up sideshow stages, a cafe, and a bar.

The Mindfield will be repositioned beside it rather than behind the main stage, and will feature The Leviathan stage (grassroots political activism and critical thinking with entertaining and informative debates and workshops on issues vital to this young generation); the new Human Lab stage (science and technology), Manifesto (writers for print and screen), Ah, Hear! Podcast stage, The Hip Hop, Beats and Rhymes stage (slam poetry, grime, hip hop and performance) and An Puball Gaeilge (Irish language).

As for night-time offerings:

There’s a new harbour enclosure for Salty Dog, a bumper-sized Trailer Park and even-harder-to-get-into Berlinhaus, the night-time arena of Freetown is preparing for a population explosion this year: Anchored by industrial dance-cathedral Terminus, and flanked by a labyrinthine townscape which includes the cajun swamp-hut Spike Island, fiesta-centric latin quarter Providencia, a surveillance-heavy Lower 7th (overwhelmed by a dissident population hosting an underground trans club), Our Lady of the Consumption, a field hospital for the festivally insane called run by an unsavoury body of staff who mismanage their patients), and the shanty-scape of Northside Rises where foreign tunes seep from the upper floors of its flats.

Hazel Wood is back and growing – wander into the majestic woodlands of the Stradbally estate to immerse yourself in this artistic haven of theatre, spoken word, music, comedy and art. Speaking of art – if you’ve ever had an idea for a piece of work that you think belongs at the Picnic – keep your eyes peeled for the return of our open-call Art Trail, which will be launching in the next few weeks for both budding and established artists alike.More of a gallery attendee than an exhibitor yourself? Then you’re in luck! Enjoy seeing the artists creative juices in full form as the pieces will be displayed throughout the woods and fields over the festival weekend.

The Three music stage is back featuring a diverse mix of up-and-coming Irish and International acts.

New camping offering

The Silver Campsite. A premium campsite will offer hot showers, complimentary charging, pamper stations, a fully managed reception and onsite team and close access to your car. Located on the Abbeyleix road, it’s just a short walk to the heart of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,723 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ah could be worse I guess,Iooking forward to when RATM will be announced!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I'm happy enough with that, I can pick 13 acts from the poster that I'd happily see, and I know there'll be plenty of room in the tents while the headliner is playing on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

would be better if the swapped friday and sunday headliners. Not blown away but will hopefully get another dozen quality acts on. Distinct lack of decent american indie bands apart from pixies and bright eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭rubick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Yep, but on the 2020 poster, i assumed they were a headliner. In the new lineup, i would not. Pedantic I know!

I won't be seeing them regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They might have another headliner for the May/June announcement, like Blur being added in the 2015 second announcement or the 2018 one where they added the Prodigy in the last announcement. It looks like I'll have to do some investigating the acts as a lot of names there I don't know. Picks from the lineup for me.

Tame Impala, Fontaines DC, Pixies, Wolf Alice, Bright Eyes, Jeff Mills, Little Simz, Perfume Genius, Sleaford Mods, Just Mustard and Saint Sister among others. There's room for improvement so hopefully later additions will fill it out a bit.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

RATM in Kilmainham or somewhere hopefully, please jaysis god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

As always, the auld fellas in here launch straight out with the "worst lineup ever" hyperbole.

It's a good line up lads. Dermot Kennedy is a fairly big deal now, couple of songs on a quarter billion listens on spotify, if he cant do a Hozier style headline job at Electric Picnic then no current irish act could.

Impala and Arctic Monkeys are great live bands, will put on serious shows. Theres always the rubbish in the sub headliners - we knew Picture This and Snow Patrol would be hanging on in there.

Megan Thee Stallion is a great act, I'd say a lot of lads in here have written her off based on a few seconds of a Cardi B song. One of the best reviewed hip hop albums of the last few years.

Brilliant Irish cohort, that 4th strand is jammed with talent.

Pixies, Fontaines, Wolf Alice, London Grammar, Annie Mac are all very good acts to have mid tier, plenty of them would rival the headliners of the irelands other festivals.

The one area it's a bit light is big electronic spectacle - could have done with the Chemical Brothers clinging on in there, but to be fair, theyve played enough at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

far better lineup compared to 2020 so i’m happy enough, there’s a good few acts there definitely want to catch over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

You must've missed when we all voted it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

While some poor headliners there have to say there is plenty I am happy to go see (my time at headliners has been limited in recent years anyway). While not for everyone Dermot Kennedy live is really good. I count at least 12 acts I will happily go to and a number I need to discover so happy enough with this as a first announcement. Roll on more acts and September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Dear god no,EP is the perfect venue for them bit of sanity needed after the Dermot Kennedy dross!!!

Still feel there will be another large electronic act still to come in the style of Floating Points/Jon Hopkins/Kelly-Lee Owens to put on the Electric Arena for Friday and Saturday evening. It'll possibly be a live show from Jeff Mills too rather than a DJ set but you have to think both he and Helena Hauf are nailed on for Terminus. It's perhaps a disappointing first drop for Picnicers of a Certain Age but when is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm starting a campaign now - RATM for the Salty Dog on Friday night!

I'm sensing RATM are the new Radiohead Twin here.

They will be announced, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

little simz fred,again mall grab kojaque and jpegmafia is nice infairness

Yeah a lot of electronica gets added in the later announcements, Little Big Tent, Terminus, Red Bull in the Woods and Casa Bacardi as well as maybe there will be some interesting electronica in the Mind and Body area too.

In previous years, "first line" acts have dropped to second line acts in later poster drops, or headlining somewhere other than the Main Stage (Tame Impala in the Electric Arena for example on their last visit).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Another shambles of a lineup. You have to wonder if advance sales are now killing the need to attract top tier headliners. Definitely one in the eye for the EP hard on apologists around here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Of course they are.

The promoters need to make up for 2 years lost revenue so they have skimped on headliners.

No incentive to sign good acts when you can sell out in advance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'd like to think the reason is i'm getting old, but thats usually when i dont know any of the acts. When you do know them and still think its dreadful, its maybe a worse sign

Where's Seath haven't seen his comments on this lineup announcement yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

"New camping offering

The Silver Campsite…. A premium campsite will offer hot showers, complimentary charging, pamper stations, a fully managed reception and onsite team and close access to your car. Located on the Abbeyleix road, it’s just a short walk to the heart of the action."

Can't see info on this anywhere else only on Nialler9 repost by Rfrip, would be good as we're not on the eco camping past campers yet! Anyone know anything else about tge new camping or who is running it?

Regards from a "too old for the jimi hendrix camping experience"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yeah, I think for us, ahem, temporally challenged festival goers, the headliners will have less and less appeal as the years go by (that is to say, as we develop more refined tastes in music).

I remember going to Glasto as a young man and was amazed to see that there were older people (probably only in their 30s or 40s, but old to my callow eyes) who went to Glasto and never once went anywhere near the Pyramid or other stage, or even checked the lineup, and were there to see the less well known acts and were having a great time. Some went to Glasto with the intention of just going to e.g. the Jazz stage and just staying there for the whole festival, and taking in whoever plays.

In that context, this is a great lineup. I would see Fontaines, Glass Animals, London Grammar, Pixies, Wolf Alice, Bright Eyes, Perfume Genius, Sleaford Mods and a fair few others. However, that said, I've seen all of the above before, bar Glass Animals.

I am one of the people who lost out on the kerfuffle with loyalty codes way back in the mists of summer 2019 when the tickets first went on sale. I don't know what the scenario is with the new release tomorrow, but I think my plan will be to wait and see if there are any tickets going abeggin in the days leading up to the festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

If it was my festival I'd spend even less on the acts. No point wasting money when people will go regardless.

Advertisement