Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

⭐️⭐️ Google Reviews ⭐️⭐-Are Businesses Falsely Claiming High Social Media Ratings on their Websites?

Options
  • 30-09-2021 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

🧱Whilst looking up trade contractors - I came across an impressive & well designed looking business website stating a 4.9 Google Rating amongst other accolades complete with sample client testimonials.

I did a Google search of this company ... it exists but has zero reviews on google / and as for the business award it 'won' ...I could find nothing related to the particular award!

Is there a way to verify google reviews (-i'd imagine google search is in itself the best/only way?).

If an image on a website shows "4.9 Average Rating" ...along with google logo -is this legal .... or merely considered 'just an image' where no statement to the effect of having RECEIVED the credit is made? - therefore, not technically misleading in a legal sense?

Interested to hear thoughts / comments / experience

Comments

Yes, 100% in a previous role that I had colleagues created fake Gmail accounts to create reviews and they were very inventive - in a small office over 200 reviews were created the time that i was working there. Some reviews are obvious they've the same surname as the owner of the company. I take Facebook and Google reviews with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Is that legal?

If people are rating it from personal accounts, nothing can be proven I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I left a poor review for a restaurant once -it was scoring poorly and over the following days they started getting better. Reviews mentioned how great certain waiters were - seemed genuine though most reviewers were now leaving their first ever review .. as though they were prompted - seemed suss!

Anyway ... as for my OP - a website has image 'stickers' of ratings ...wonder whats the standing with these - false claims - or merely images subject to misinterpretation?

Advertisement