Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on CAAD 13

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Caads/Supersix have normal sizing IMO, they just feel big to some because of the race geo - bit longer, bit lower. Though the current gen bikes aren't as long or as low as previously. The sizing with Cube is definitely out of sync with most other brands.

I'm a shade under 6-1 and very comfortable on a 58 Caad10 with 120mm stem. At 6-5 broadly speaking you're looking at the 60 unless you've some unusual body proportions.

Post edited by Plastik on

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I wouldn't heed anything written in the cycling media

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

One other caveat that occurred to me out on me bike today would be the possibility of an imminent CAAD 14? The 13 is out a while now and there might be a new model in the pipeline?

Yup, that's something I am concerned about too. There was four years between the 12 and 13 so my guess it will be another 2-3 before we see a 14. It was launched in 2019 but only on the market about 17 months.

I have the money put away now and need a bike now so I can't be getting too worried about what might have beens. Inevitably, whatever I buy, something will crop up soon after that will be better value but I'm not going to get too worried about that.

I'm going to scour the new and second hand market for another week but if I can't find anything else by then, I'll go for the CAAD.

Thanks for all the advice folks, I think I have a plan now at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I had a caad 3 (I think) years ago. I thought it was a rough old thing. Could feel everything up through the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

This would be my main concern with any Alu frame to be honest. On bad roads they can feel very rough. Maybe CAADs are somehow different. The biggest change from Alu to Carbon frame that I noticed was it was a lot less jarring on bad roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nah, I've had some lovely Al bikes - a storck and a Bowman. Aluminium rides absolutely beautifully in my experience.

I presume that "3" isn't a typo for "13" and that Cannondale have improved their al frames in the interim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Correct, it was a 3 and not a 13. We're talking retro here ( except it wasn't retro then) and yes I would hope they have improved in the following 10 generations !

Just to update the thread - I gave two more weeks looking online (for new and second hand) and searched and rang loads of shops that were compatible with my Bike to Work but to no avail (60cm frame made it hard).

I bought the CAAD13 and got it last week. I've had two spins so far, one in crosswinds and the second on very wet roads today and have been blown away by how it rides compared to the entry level Cube I had.

I was off today and managed to get out for a good 1.5 hour tempo effort on hilly roads with loads of surface water, but came in at 33.2kph when my previous best time on dry roads and in summer gear was 32kph. It just feels so much quicker and smoother.

My wife is due our third baby in March and I plan on doing loads of cycling between now and then before an inevitable lull. I may have gotten better bang for my buck in the spring but the CAAD13 was the right bike at the right time for me, and I absolutely love it.

Thanks for the help and the advice, even if I ignored some of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MYP82

I’m looking at getting a caad13 but stock is hard to find. I’m 178cm with long arms do any owners here think there’s any point trying a 56 or is it simply too big? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've never looked at the Caad13 geometry at all but I am 178cm and have a 54cm Caad12 - there is no chance a 56cm would fit.

Bike fitter suggested I shorten the stock stem from 100mm to 90. The geometry is also a bit odd with the seatpost - I have much less seatpost showing than any other bike I have. If I was on a 56cm I think the seatpost would by right down in the frame retro style.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

I am 182cm tall. I ride a 54cm CAAD12 with a 120mm stem if that's any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

How 'bout this, I'm 183cm tall and riding a 58cm CAAD10 and SuperSix also with 120mm stems. How are you on a 54 at 182cm! When I sit on a 54 it feels like I'm sitting on a childs bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Lol. I'd get away with a 56, no doubt about it alright, but I just got the smallest frame that would fit. A work colleague has a 54cm CAAD12 also, and he's taller than me, but he has a 130mm stem

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Is the guts of 3k for an aluminium bike with 105 not a bit steep?

Bit late to be worrying about that now as it's bought now but I did pay over the odds for it, yes, though with BTW I paid less than 2k in the end. In terms of performance, it is light years ahead of the Cube Attain which I paid 1,200e for in 2018 and then had to fork out another 600e for new wheels as the stock ones were so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Would you mind to let us know real weight of Caad13 105 disc in 60 size with pedals and all?

Cheers

Advertisement