Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fined for Parking Motorbike on Footpath

Options
  • 01-10-2021 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

This week I received two fixed penalty fines - one for parking my motorbike on a footpath and the second for not displaying a tax disk (in fairness, my tax is out, so maybe that it where this one is coming from). The bike was parked on a semi-pedestrianised section of South William Street - so not in anyone's way.

I have been parking my bike on Dublin footpaths for 25 years and have never received a fine. Is this a new policing/parking policy? Has anyone else been fined like this recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If you were taxed gaurd would have walked on for his lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would really need to see where you parked it tbh. There are ways and means to park it which avoid complaint's and thus avoid a back lash .

A business owner could have phoned the guards on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Plus there was a "#MakeWayDay" in the last week or so asking people to report bad parking by motor vehicles and even bikes, where they block access for disabled people, people using wheelchairs or mobility scooters, etc. "Not in anyone's way" can be subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 slystone

I would be surprised if it was a complaint. I have been parking the bike i the same spot for the past 2 years. It certainly was not parked in a way that would inhibit movement of others. The  "#MakeWayDay" is somthing I have not heard about before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

As above OP, two factors were likely the culprit.

No tax is just asking for easy punishment by a guard. Adds a +1 to their internal scoring for the guard.

and their is a mobility awareness week happening with path blocking a big part of the push.

I reckon if you had tax, it wouldnt of happened, and if it was different week.. maybe the guard would not of checked in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You probably got unlucky. As Listermint says, the makewayday was a big thing they were pushing. And rightly so. To be fair most bikers park so that buggies/wheelchair users can get by but what we see parking a bike on path is still an obstruction to others. Sth William St wouldnt be the widest of paths either.

Thanks for the feedback. Just taxed the bike, so hopefully it is just a one-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It odd, because not allowed park on the roads. No designated motorbike parking on southside, only 3 locations on Northside...

Yeah, it is odd. I always considered free parking (and filtering in bus lanes) part of what makes motorbike riding in Dublin such a 5* experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For fun I'd lodge an appeal saying that there's nowhere legal to park a bike in Dublin's south side, so where am I supposed to park. It'll be rejected but no harm in making a point, provided the fine doesn't increase and you where parked sensibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Been parking the bike up on footpaths for years without a ticket (never blocking the path obviously). My tax disc was nicked twice also so it's not on display now but under my seat. Sounds like you got unlucky OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

It's a shame you seem not to have learnt your lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not a motorcyclist but playing devils advocate as I happened upon the thread....Would a person using a mobility aid... a walking frame or wheelchair have the ability to get past the bike without difficulty ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not recently, but I parked at the top of Grafton St on the advice of a guard, since (at that time, maybe now too) there were no official motorbike parking spaces. Got a ticket, went to court, got the Probation Act. It was probably the no tax that sent them looking for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

Can't comment on what happened with the OP,

but generally I was told, if parking a bike up on the foot path, do it tight to either the wall of the edge to allow maximum room and if there isn't enough space for a wheelchair then don't park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's nowhere legal to park a bike in South Dublin CC so bikes have always had to park on the footpaths and once they weren't blocking access they never got tickets, you will get a ticket if you use a Pay and Display parking bay. It's rare that you'd see a bike parked so badly to affect other users because if you park to open feckers will be jumping all over it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on what i see around the city, you can park trucks on footpaths and gardai don't give a toss.

there was a big grab truck completely blocking the footpath near us a couple of years back and i saw two gardai walk past it without a glance (though i may have commented to them that the tyres were bald - as in no tread left at all on them) which may have been why they went back to it.

Advertisement