Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Comment deleted

You missed one word there…

Irish Water are going to build a pipeline to pump treated sewage off the shore north of Ireland Eye

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

"Treated" mostly. Uisce Eireann are rampant at pumping raw sewage into waterways. Even after periods of heavy rain, they'll pump it in places where they actually have treatment facilities because those get overwhelmed

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

bracken and gorse are native to Ireland and neither would be considered invasive in that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I don`t see what the difference would be. Unmanaged both would in time take over the area to the great detriment of any other plant life as well as spreading to surrounding lands. They would give good cover for wolves, lynx etc. but that would not be much help to native wildlife in the area either.

I could not care less if a landowner wishes to perhaps salve his conscience on his colonial ancestry past by rewilding a section of his "granted" lands. For me it`s the again lack of green foresight on the outcome of this unmanaged rewilding and organic food production they favour. THe U.N. proposal on rewilding to "help" migate the scale and impact of global warming is rewilding an area the size of China.If that area was taken out of food production and the remainder farmed organically, what would that do for global food security ?

My money would be on global food wars and mass starvation long before climate change ever would.

• Advertisement

That's actually completely untrue thankfully. Not only would something like that make the news but the EPA would go mad

Unfortunately it is very much true according to the EPA from an Irish Independent article of 26th. October 2023 where the EPA stated that half a billion litres of waste water that has not been adequately filterded or disinfected by Uisce Eireann is discharged into rivers and coastal waters daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Some of the CSOs along the Liffey are in such poor state I suspect a lot of it doesn't even make it to the treatment plants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

How will these Greenies reach nature without public transport?

Uisce Eireann loses 40% of treated water daily because of leaks, so I very much doubt that figure is lower for leaks from waste water pipes going to treatment plants. In all likrlihood much higher than 40%

• Advertisement

It's very true. There's been numerous stories of raw sewage discharge. Some doing it all the time and they claim to have no funding to fix it. Or,a s I said, after heavy rain the plants discharge whatever is there. Lots of different articles about it.

Even on their own website

https://www.water.ie/projects/national-projects/eliminating-raw-sewage/

The EPA have also commented. Here's one such article - https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41255686.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Simple solution: bring in charges for domestic water and sewage. Ring fence the money for Irish Water and let them get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

First good idea I have seen on this thread in a long time.

Don't think it will happen mind you

To connect to the network you gotta pony up some euros. Should be a charge too though for utilities. But it must be state owned, never privatised.

Simple answers : it has been tried and failed in spectacular fashion. Not just in terms of state capital spend but in capital political loss which guarantees it will be a long time, if ever, before it is attempted again.

Had, as originally promised, the water and waste water networks been made fit for purpose before charges were introduced it may have worked. Doing that before attempting it again might work, but I would not bet on it. Not while Uisce Eireann are more interested on spending money piping water from the Shannon to Dublin to have 40% of it leaking into the ground.Two other problems that any government would have selling the idea. Getting people to believe money would be ring fenced, and a referendum promised nearly a decade ago without as much as a murmur on it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭ginger22

Irish water must be the most arrogant organisation in the state. We have water connections to 4 different farms. The latest scam they are pulling is charging for the same volume of "waste water out" as the water we use even though there isn't a sewer within 3 miles of any of the farms.

Have been onto them several times about it, sent from Bill to Jack on the phone, but getting nowhere.

I don't think FG or Labour will ever recover from the political loss of the Irish Water debacle. Fact is the main cost of water in this country is the infrastructure so it should only ever have been a fixed amount, no need to spend money then on meters etc.

A good idea would be to divert a few € of every homes LPT away from the council budget and ringfence that with Irish Water. Not only would nobody feel any pain but it would satisfy any current or future EU requirement for water charges. Some councils are spending €25 of the LPT having a pot of tea delivered. Surely leak fixing would be a better use of this money

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/limerick-city-county-council-staff-16167483

They may have changed their name and everything that goes with that from Irish Water to Uisce Eireann at the expense of the taxpayer, but they are still the same bunch of arrogant changers they showed themselves to be from the first day they were established.

I agree, I don`t think either will ever recover from the political loss of the debacle which is why no government will go within a country mile of water charge for the foreseeable future. The large amount of money that was wasted on meters was viewed by many at the time to have nothing to do with improving services and everything to do with privatisation down the line. With still no sign of the promised referendum after close to a decade now it is increasingly difficult not to see that view as being validated.

I do seem to recall around half a billion euro going from the LPT fund to Irish Water that ended up paying consultants so getting buy in from the public that taking LPT away from councils would actually be ringfenced for Uisce Eireann would alone be problematic. And that is before you could even get them to believe the water utility company under its present moniker would spend it as intended. Their were a lot of very expensive miscellaneous pots of tea and sandwiches likes items making it into Irish Water expense accounts

• Advertisement

The European Court of Auditors have come out and questioned the sense in phasing out ICE vehicles by 2035 as it could lead to an over dependence on cheaper foreign imports

In an unusual move, EU auditors have warned the EU’s industrial sovereignty is at risk if it sticks to a de facto 2035 ban on petrol and diesel cars without addressing its dependency on overseas suppliers for raw materials and batteries needed to produce electric vehicles.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/04/22/budget-watchdog-enters-political-fray-with-warning-over-petrol-car-ban

This bit is what has been mentioned here lots of times - the clash between green policies and the costs of those

“How can the green deal satisfy our climate objectives without harming our industrial policy, and increasing costs for European consumers.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The total phase out of ICE doesn't make sense to most people, even electric car drivers, or a lot of them anyway

In reality some people will need diesels etc and that's the reality. The issue is a lot of people in diesel never required them and never will.

They should focus on a mix but with a push on people picking the right fuel for them, at the moment it seems if anything is government led then some people will fight against it even if it makes perfect sense. Like every house with 2 cars and a driveway, in reality they could easily swap one car to electric without any issues.

The fabled long distance drive can be catered for by one combustion car.

It`s not before time, if anything away to late, that the European Court of Auditors have started questioning the costs and implications of implications of green policy.

Not just on increased cost for consumers and harming industrial policy but also the cost not just financially but the cost of human lives in relation to agricultural from this green deal policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭PommieBast

In isolation water charges would not have have been such a big deal, but they were the latest thing in a quick succession of increased costs and reduced benefits so became a lightening rod.

Organisationally Irish Water had its own set of issues but its predecessors had shown themselves not to be up to the task.

Well if the public want a solution to reliable water supplies and are concerned about discharge of sewage effluent into the sea - they'll have to bite the bullet at some stage. It's actually a complete no brainer to bring in metered water charges, in terms of both funding repairs but also to encourage less wastage.

I suspect department policy here now is to wait till the issue gets worse, a dry summer or two and they'll be implemented.

If there was one thing that emerged with credit from the water metering fiasco it was that as a nation we do not waste water. The Irish taxpayers have also shown that they are happy paying for their wayet services by way of general taxation. One of the things that got them riled over metering was that as far as they were concerned the network was in such a state due to funding being diverted for years to other government priorities and they were now expected to pay on the double for what they believed they had already paid for, so good luck to any future government that tries telling them about ring fencing.

The major wastage of treated water is the 40% leaks from mainsE even higher I imagine for waste water. Yet here we are with a utility companies priority appearing to be the laying of a pipeline from the Shannon to Dublin to keep pumping that 40% into the ground. Even a cart before the horse doesn`t adequately cover that.

Water unlike electricity is easily stored. We have greens telling us we are going to be washed out of it with rainfall for most of the year in future. Rather that waste revenue on some of these green questionable proposals, why not use it where it will do public and environmental good (especially in relation to waste water) by actually fixing mains and building reservoirs to store all that rainfall that is going to run off to the sea after washing us out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I can understand the argument for introducing user charges to reduce excessive waste of water but, in a so called wealthy country that can squander billions on a whim for pet projects, I can't understand why the State hasn't the capability to put in place infrastructure for a basic public service. Calling for user charges to address what is a failure by successive Govts is a cop out or simply a convenient ruse to extract even more taxation from the proportion of the population who pays for everything imo

The whole metering project started out as a farce with both government parties reneging on promise that got them elected, a CEO being appointed that skipped town in Galway City before he was ran out on a rail with a history of everything else he touched having turned to manure, a large spend on water meters consultants, and even laughing yoga classes for head office staff, and still somehow managed to go downhill after that.

It was a complete fiasco from beginning to end.

• Advertisement

"If there was one thing that emerged with credit from the water metering fiasco it was that as a nation we do not waste water."

LOL - You must be joking surely!!!! When you hear debates between people as to whether they have one shower a day or two, cars being washed, gardens being watered, massive paddling pools being filled and thrown out. I've little doubt but that public water consumption could easily be halved and more and we'd all be fine. Wanton waste.

Metered water charges made huge sense and still do. But wait & suffer before the truth hits.

Advertisement