Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes, but there are an awful lot fewer of us! That's why we look at overall nation emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

But we shouldn't, China has more people so of course it will have more CO2. We should discuss the CO2 per person and that is a better reflection

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on farming, although I do know one end of a cow from the other, but I was stuck behind a tractor yesterday on my way home from work and the amount of fumes coming off it was huge

Are electric tractors a thing? To me they look like a good solution. EVs have immediate torque, tractors tend to be idle most of the day and most farms tend to have a good deal of space to install chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not really unless you're into finger wagging. We'll get there but overall volume is currently what matters most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

just ignore the nuclear waste problem, yeah? Or bury it in the sea bed. yeah - brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,364 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Or have an anti-nuclear policy yet buy electricity generated from nuclear power from the UK and France...proper little Irish solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would not see a zealot as geographical, but rather someone who continually shouts they are right and everyone else is wrong. Especially when the refuse to recognise and admit to past mistakes while avoiding present facts.

A little hint for you on how dirty a fuel may be use your eyes. Or if blind simply get someone to tell you what they see. With diesel it is patently obvious.

I was not accusing China alone of extracting the urine, but they are doing very nicely thank you very much from the green energy policy of others.

A few points on China I have already posted but you appear to have missed or ignored as they may not have suited your narrative.

China produces over 25% of world emissions having 18% of the world population. If we are somehow supposedly taking advantage of China on emissions aren`t they doing likewise with others ?

58% of China`s energy requirement come from coal burning plants and they now plan to add new coal burning plants that will produce 73.5 Gigawatts compared to the rest of the world total for same of 13.9 Gigawatt. That 73.5 is for home consumption and does not include the hundreds of such coal burning plants they are planning to build worldwide under their Belt and Road Initiative.

Do you not somehow get that, especially in a post Covid world, the double whammy China`s economy will get from cheaper energy, while at the same time being the major supplier of the technology to others resulting, along with carbon tax tariffs, in those others being priced out of the market because of higher energy costs or do you just blindly not care?

the Chinese aren’t just going to decarbonise and destroy their industry. You are asking for the destruction of Ireland’s foremost industry, one of the few where we have competitive advantages. What we need instead is a way to help decarbonise the industry, perhaps try be a world leader there. In the meantime there’s a way to decarbonise by building out more wind farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

I did not say lifetime of batteries was 8 to 10 years. This is what I said

"The Greens promoted diesel cars that they want us to get rid of now.

The batteries in electric cars are very damaging to the environment but in 8 to 10 years time we will move onto the next technology thanks to the Greens."

In 8 to 10 years time the environmental damage in the production of electric cars will be more evident and we will move to the next technology like hydrogen fuelled cars. We are investing billions in electric cars and like diesels that the Greens encouraged us to buy these will be discarded with in circa 10 years.

Electric cars have been in the market since 2010. If you knew hydrogen is getting dropped by majority of manufacturers because the storage of the fuel is too risky and too costly for current garages to upgrade. They are also a lot less efficient than an electric car

The affect on the environment to create the storage for hydrogen will far out weight the additional CO2 required to deliver a battery, plus as mentioned the electric car is a lot more efficient. Hence why most dealers have more or less stopped hydrogen cars. Also if you talk to the manufacturers hydrogen cars are not made to replace battery cars, they are supposed to compliment them.

In 8-10 years time the battery technology will change as people are developing newer batteries, which is standard as the older cars flow into the second user market. Same as combustion engines today. Same as now the battery technology in the Leaf 1 is completely different to the new batteries as they improved them.

Even if in 10 years the World decided to dump all the electric cars, you would still take every battery and repurpose it for everyday items and solar PV. The car shell also could be fully recycled. A lot more than a combustion engine can

• Advertisement

You quoted me and somone else, the person who quoted about Limerick was incorrect and pointed out by sharing a link themselves from a shop owner praising the new area. Also as per another poster the footfall is up.

Ireland should concentrate in been the World leader in green technology and then flog it to the rest of the World

I honestly couldnt care what China does, I just find every one of these threads always ends up with loads of people pointing at China. In my opinion we are better off looking after ourselves. I think it is funny our CO2 per person is high than China who is supposed to be the most terrible terrible people.

If we make Ireland the World leader in Green technology we can then sell to the Chinese, or even better, have spare CO2 credits and sell to the rest of the World to pay for the investment in technology

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

A lot of towns built retail parks on the outskirts with big free car parks and then the local authorities put fees and parking restrictions in the town centres, Letterkenny is a prime example on how to kill your town centre, most shoppers don't bother going up the main street but it's nothing to do with cyclists, much as I despise them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Make Ireland a world leader in Green blah blah

Do you realise how deluded that class of nonsense sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is pretty much the best you can get, given that like the cigarette companies before them, the oil companies will be out there buying false research to promote petrol and diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hilarious today from Eamon Ryan.

Govt plugging it's massive investment in infrastructure and this fella comes out and basically says "none of this may happen".

😂

That is true. Then again when it comes to research buying I have found following the money has always been a good indicator, and there are a quite a few countries doing quite well out of this that are not exactly killing themselves when it comes to compliance.

You can ignore China all you like on emissions and coal burning plants, but that will just leave you with the cart before the horse as regards becoming World leaders in Green technology with no likelihood of that changing.

As another poster, and like you a supporter of this path we are going down, has already pointed out China are the World leaders in solar panel and lithium battery production. Something I have no doubt helped by their cheap energy source with 58% of their supply coming from coal burning plants, and something little old Ireland is unlikely to challenge with the Chinese set to continue to do with plans to open new coal burning plants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Rosahane

While the Co2 per capita figure in China is lower it's important to emphasise that it is steadily increasing while the per capita figure in the West is steadily decreasing!

• Advertisement

Have we decreased in Ireland? I didn’t see anything to suggest that’s teh case

I didn’t say to ignore China just concentrate on our own mess instead of pointing fingers, when we are the best then we have earned the right to point fingers.

If China want to open up coal plants that’s their choice. Just because they are doesn’t mean we have to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

You need to keep up with hydrogen development. theres a lot going on. Electricity for transport is a bit useless - especially in countries like Ireland where electricity is mostly made from fossil fuel. Could well be a component in the forthcoming electricity shortage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Shoog

... but I have demonstrated that your making a lot of what you claim up (the Burren been my example) so forgive me if I take everything you say with a large pinch of salt.

I Remember in 2009 the same people telling us we were going to be planting crops for bio-diesel, Ireland was going to be the world leader,

This is just a remix of the same tune, cronies jumping on the Green bandwagon until the next gimmick comes along,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is wrong, electricity is great for car transport at least and hydrogen is useless expensive and inefficient. There is a lot of hype about Hydrogen but the figures just don't stack up when compared to electric battery cars. Currently there are two ways of making Hydrogen - cracking natural gas which is just pointless as its more efficient to just burn the natural gas in the engine, and hydrolysis but this takes more electricity than if you simply use the electricity directly. On top of this compressing hydrogen into transportable liquid takes huge amounts of wasted energy and as a side bonus liquid hydrogen rusts and enbrittles everything it comes into contact with. Its a pipe dream.

The only thing going for Hydrogen is the idea of similar range to fossil fuel vehicles and its a lifeline to the straneded oil industries distribution infrastructure - but since electric range anxiety is largely a thing of the past and getting better all the time, even this seeming advantage is nothing of the sort.

Post edited by Shoog on

Why is electricity useless for transport? as already discussed the majority of electric cars are charging at 12 at night and actually helping balance the grid.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tractors will need a lot of horsepower to perform many of their required tasks. A tillage farmer will need something quite strong to plough for example and curently the range of a battery wouldn't be sufficient to do a few decent sized fields (bearing in mind that a tractor could potentially be operating for ten or twelve hours easily).

In addition, if the farmer has a limited window of opportunity e.g. to cut, bale and wrap silage with rain due in a few hours, then the last thing they want is for a battery to run out mid-way through. battery technology has come a long way but for agricultural requirements, it still has a long way to go.

Earlier poster said his electricity consumption had tripled charging their car, I pay around €2k a year in electric bills, currently spend around €40 a week to fuel 2 cars, wouldn't make economic sense in anyway to change that

• Advertisement

The cost per km in electric is a lot less than combustion.

Advertisement