Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Poster said the went from 4k units to 12k, that would equate to six grand in electric bills

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To my knowledge, people are not being told or coerced into changing what they have (although some of the mis-truths about the GP on here and elsewhere might suggest otherwise). However, what they are being told is that if they are buying a new car, then consider an electric one. Are you saying that you would not consider an electric car when you next buy a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Greens are full of it.

Where my parents live, 30 miles outside dublin, basically commuter belt now. One bus an hour, not to dublin either.

No cycle paths, no electric car charge points, hardly any paths for walking on.

Ryan and his cronies are living in a dream world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I'm thinking some big petrol engined yoke, big hurrah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

How many KM did they drive and how much would it have cost in combustion?

When I was doing standard mileage I introduced an electric car, with the change to night meter, moving white good to work at night only the electric car did very little to increase my monthly bill

Loads of people with similar experience. If someone is using 6k of night electricity to run a car they are doing a hell of a lot of mileage when you pay 0.006c per kWh

• Advertisement

In fairness, he has been in government for a wet weekend. Have you posted on here about your local TDs and councillors doing sweet FA for you or is it just all Ryan's fault just "because"?

Plus to be fair to him, he has started an increase in development of infrastructure for active travel but whilst his department might oversee policy, it is still the responsibility of the NTA, the councils, and so on to implement. But sure feck it, it's still his fault just because!

FFS can someone please post a credible complaint about Green Party policies or actions for us to discuss rather than this kind of useless moany crap?

Not sure what your point is?

FYI an electric charge point is anything from a standard plug upwards.

Look Eamonn, the truth hurts, get over it.

The amount of spouting you do on the tv, its pathetic

I think you will find the answer is no. Any of the "issues" people have turned out to be all implemented by FG

public charge points, you know to incentivize buying an electric car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You have demonstrated nothing, and neither have I made up anything in my posts..... but you keep pinching away at your salt if that is what keeps you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Electric tractors at the moment are totally fooking impractical, much like things like electric chainsaws for forestry workers.

What does a farmer or contractor do when harvesting crops or making silage, and the batteries run out after at most a few hours of intensive work?

Sorry we have to park up for a few hours to recharge, and shure what the fook if it is raining in the evening.

And yes you may know one end of a cow from another - it's not that hard to be honest, just don't stick your head at one end, but you know sweet fa about farming.

Your soul and your sanity.

I just love how electric cars are seen as the panacea for all our carbon ills.

Well that and screwing our only indigenous industry.

The laugh is we won't be able to keep the lights on if not this winter then probably the next.

And yet some want us to base almost all our transport on electricity.

Then that fool Ryan will be on about wind energy and the likes.

And when he is asked about no wind he will chime in about energy interconnectors and getting energy from UK or France.

Does that buffoon not realise France generates something like 70% of it's energy from nuclear ?

Oh wait maybe the interconnector will realise that the current has come from a nuclear plant rather than a windfarm. 🙄

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

FFS can someone please post a credible complaint about Green Party policies or actions for us to discuss rather than this kind of useless moany crap?

It's pretty clear the greens are just a punching bag for people to have a bit of a vent. Either generally when it comes to the topic of government, taxation etc. Or specifically about the climate/environment/sustainability. Every time I come in to this thread I see the latest nonsense of 'It's a gimmick, a fad, what about the workers, the cost, the dependency, China, India, climate has always fluctuated' etc etc etc.

And the only thing clear about all these comments is people don't want to acknowledge that there is a problem that should be tackled. Somehow.

You dont need a public charge point, a standard plug will charge a car and 90% of car have charged at home at nighttime with a wall mounted charger

Ill make it more clearer, its not for my parents house, its for the town they live in, no public charge point at all. For passers-by , tourists to use etc.

Yes and 100% correct, fast charging should be in hubs along motorways for long distance travel. Sporadic chargers dotted in villages are useless and expensive. This was the issue when they first started the charger network

The incentive is lower cost per km compared to combustion engine

Cheap tax as well, we spent billions to get our pre 2008 car to a post 2008 car for cheap tax

Will you ever listen to yourself!

You are on here pointing fingers at people in your own country who question your beliefs, (while happily ignoring and chastising anyone who does), with nothing more than an airy fairy theory that somehow little old Ireland, with a population percentage so low on a global scale it barely registers, is going to save the World all on its own and show we are the bestest when we have so far a litany of failed initiatives behind us.

How am I chastising?

I am pointing out incorrect information, hardly chastising. You seem to have an issue because someone doesn't have the same opinion as yourself. That's not my problem.

Where in all that I have said to you, (and there has been quite an amount you have chosen too ignore), have I posted incorrect information ?

I can list them all again if you wish.

• Advertisement

Putting your child behind a car to test the fumes would be the start

You seem desperate to start an argument so will leave you to it. Not really what boards is meant for 🕺

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm not a fan of delusional thinking, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Do your parents not have electricity in their house?

Not since Ryan apparently closed down all the power stations in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Biggest problem I believe for EVs is the price. A decent size one with half decent range (I-D3) is €35K after government rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Are people on this thread really blaming Eamonn Ryan and the green party for the whole world changing? Like Ford, Toyota and John Deere are all changing to electric for people in countries that are far bigger then Ireland. They've never heard of Eamonn Ryan and they dont really care much about a country that is a smaller market that north west England. If Ireland was a city we wouldn't be in the top twenty biggest cities.

Its not going to happen overnight, its going to be a transition over decades. If you live somewhere with no charge points then dont get an electric yet. Eventually they'll be there and the cars will be able to travel even further distances. Tractors will be good enough too. Remember when your phone was stuck to the wall and they started gradually putting up mobile phone masts. Then you had a mobile but the reception was awful. Today its better but still needs some improvements.

Ireland is subject to the rest of the world. We could do nothing now and align ourselves with 3rd world countries or we can beging to gradually change, upskill so we're able to create jobs in the change and do what we can.

There's loads of challenges ahead that people could have genuine concerns about but thinking it all rests on Eamonn Ryan and the green party is madness. They wont get into the next government and the next crowd will continue on as they did before this current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,309 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Absolutely, Eamon Ryan himself was staunchly behind a decision to promote diesel cars with tax breaks in 2008 by the government of which he was a member.

now just over a decade later he is anti diesel..... so what changed in that intervening timeframe ? nothing !

Ryan and the greens are the sort of auld geezer in the pub, drunk on 3 Beamish and pointing out what’s wrong with the world and everyone in it. But ask them for a tangible solution... you never hear “we will, we are going to...”

I think the poster might be a bit confused and think you cannot recharge an electric car without a public charge point

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Let me guess you are referencing John Deere's battery tractor with a duration of 4 hours?

Now of course they didn't specify if that was just 4 hours tootling about, a bit like the mpg on cars are calculated in benign conditions, or was it ploughing on a hill or dragging around a 18 tonne trailer.

Or perhaps it is John Deeres autonomous 400hp wired tractor?

Yes folks they have a wired tractor with a cable drum of 1km.

I guess it beats the slurry umbilical cord.

Just imagine all those wires running around the countryside back to all those farmyards.

Yes they are doing research, but it is far away from being a viable option for real work.

And yes the likes of Toyota are dropping diesel and going hybrid, they have really pushed it.

But they still build old diesels for applications like off roads, 4x4s and commercials.

Ryan is a fooking eejit.

All one has to do is listen to the man talk to know that.

And most of the other greens are half wits, they must be to have him as leader afterall.

Now a lot of the legislation and decisions are not the greens as they are never really in power thankfully, but other parties chasing the green vote.

And have people noticed most of the legislation actually involves more taxes on users.

And no I am definitely not questioning climate change as I can clearly see the climatic changes that have occurred during my lifetime, especially the last couple of decades.

But I am questioning some of the decisions about how to fight it.

Yes go electricity for public transport and short haul private vehicles, but in that case we need to seriously think about nuclear.

Some shyte about wind farms, that usually are complained about anyway, or wave energy that doesn't really exist aint going to meet the demand.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Quick tip, removing millions of cars off the road with the current electric technology available will mean the odd tractor driving around will not be critical

Advertisement