Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Who has personally attacked you?

Spain is one country in Europe, can you provide information on what all the other countries have implemented and if they have the same issues?

Or is the problem just with Spain because they implemented stupid policies.

Are you aware that Ireland has had a FiT trial going since 2010 I think, someone might correct, so we have been investigating FiT for 12+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not sure if a constitutional amendment in such cases is a great idea. We saw what state guarantees for bank bond holders caused here and who ended up paying for it.

If it is a poor thought out policy to begin with such as this one, or as another poster mentioned "the cash for ash" scheme, then state guarantees are not going to change that. They will just end up costing the ordinary taxpayer even more by encouraging more investors to pile in.

If the premise is sound to begin with on profiting from an investment, then that is a matter for the private sector. We have stock exchanges for such investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Cash for Ash was on purpose, existing scheme in England had an upper limit, this was removed in the Northern version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

No. It wan't blocked. The issue is that when some people in Ireland here public bank they hear political influence to get cheap loans for high risk activities and sure why would I pay back if the public owns it. Sure amen't I the public. If Ireland was such a tempting market Banks would not be leaving. The reality is that we have a corrupt part of the electorate who are demanding even more handouts. We have the highest mortgage rates in Europe because we have the lowest eviction rate for non payment in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Likely because a lot of them went bankrupt because of casual loans with little chance of repayment. Banks (and credit unions) are not for risky lending. We've never had so much equity or variety of loan sources available to lend so if people are struggling to borrow now you'd have to wonder how strong their personal/business plan is.

• Advertisement

KBC is a huge bank in Europe. Yet the only country they are pulling out of is Ireland. They are the bank which pushed for free banking once you had a mortgage with them, while BOI/AIB would prefer to screw you on every transaction you make. Once KBC leave then you can expect those fee's to rise.

As we can see below the reason why our rates are so high is because non paying customers are very difficult to remove and if you look at other parties they want to make this even more difficult for banks, so to expect rates to increase. As usual it is the same few people who work/pay tax/mortage etc are the ones who get screwed.

Mortgage lending in Ireland is considered risky, partly because banks here have difficulty enforcing security if a loan goes into arrears.

As a result, Irish banks must hold around three times the level of capital to safeguard against potential loan losses compared to banks in the rest of Europe and Irish banks say this is one of the main reasons why mortgage rates here remain so high.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0209/1278760-mortgage-rates/#:~:text=As%20a%20result%2C%20Irish%20banks,rates%20here%20remain%20so%20high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Looks like at least the green party will face some stiff challenges from one of its parthers in coalition in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Confirmation the Greens are thick. "LNG is particularly polluting" - no it is not - typical lying bulldusters. It's gas, the great hole filler and prop for renewables deficiencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

But according to eamon the green this morning on the radio we will be using hydrogen. Majority of experts agree that green hydrogen is not viable and wont be for another 30 years but eamon knows better..

"Much of the wind energy will be turned into hydrogen which can be stored and used when the wind is not blowing" he added

i love to know what he is smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Eamon is on it, dont worry about it he has it all worked out in that massive brain of his. We are just to stupid to understand.

What i cant get is that he spouts this shite on the radio/tv and is never challenged.

• Advertisement

The Greens are right, if FG or FF propose to change the programme for government then they should walk away from the government.

Bending over to the other parties now will do a lot more harm for the Greens in the future.

Did you read the article? the issue with the LNG is around fracking. It always has been.

Where is the fracking taking place and what governemnt is currently in power there and has responsibility for the environment?

Not sure what the point of the question is?

Last post you accused the Green of

Are you aware the issue with Kerry LNG is about gas supplied which has been fracked.

Answer the question and the point might become apparent.

I am aware that the issue the Greens 'allege' they have is with fracked LNG. Are you aware that most of the world's LNG isn't from fracked resources? The Greens are attempting to ban LNG from any source and they are using the fracking issue as a justification for banning all LNG in the hope no one will notice the dishonest scam they are attempting to pull.

But lets see if you can answer the question.

So the greens are right and everyone else is wrong? OK got that. Btw that's the greens "programme for government" which they've been using to bash the other government parties over the head with.

The world has changed since they last came up with their imaginary unicorns and fairy dust energy policy and that means they can now take a very long run and jump for themselves off the nearest cliff, because that's where their vote will be - at the bottom of one.

More bull manure.

Neasa Hourigan`s proposed bill does not distinguish between fracked LNG and none fracked LNG. it is nothing other than the Irish Green party attempting to have legislation passed to ban the use of LNG in any form.

I think we have to be careful not to end up with essay long posts because those are too much work for everyone 😉

1 My points on CO2 emissions stands and you have shown nothing to to show otherwise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the inaction of others is not a justification for inaction on our part. Regardless of what others are doing we need to get our emissions to zero. If others choose to do the same more slowly or not at all does not give us an excuse to do the same. I fail to see the logic in asserting that it does. "they are polluting so we should too", how does that make any sense?

2 The story was being sold that renewables would provides with cheaper electricity. It has not, nor will it be while electricity is being priced using the green favoured marginal model. Presently under that pricing regime if 90% of our electricity came from renewables we would still be paying the same as if 100% came from natural gas.

Again who said that about renewables? Maybe it was pushed at some point but I have no knowledge of it nor could I find any evidence of it. As regards your other point, does it not hold true that if non-renewables are removed, then whatever remains, if it has a lower cost model, would not suffer from the same issues that are being caused now by the increase in gas and oil prices? What i mean is this would lead to stable prices at least, no idea what the end cost would be though but it would be less likely to suffer from the peaks and troughs that plague fossil fuels.

3 Our indigenous gas fields will be depleted by 2025. We will not have 100% renewable energy by then, or anytime in the foreseeable future. We will continue to need a non-renewable source to fill the gap of unreliable wind energy. As we are the only option is natural gas due to other than gas fired plants being shut or downgraded. Our options for natural gas are, a pipeline from a none E.U. country, (and we see how that can work out), or the capability to source and buy our own LNG which would require a LNG terminal something. Greens have shown they are opposed to not just a LNG terminal but LNG.

So no natural gas, liquefied or not, and no nuclear, recognised by the E.U as the only other transition energy source, what do Irish greens think is going to be the energy source that is going to fill that gap ?

The target for 100% is 2050 though its likely to be hit well before then.

Our non-renewable source until then will be gas. Further to that end, we're building new gas plants to meet our needs for the next 25+ years while we transition.

This gas can be supplied through the Moffat lines to meet 100% of our requirements so we have no need of a LNG terminal, whether one gets built or not is up to ABP, but we will have no need for it.

The only increase in consumption for gas will come from the above gas plants, as new gas boilers for homes are to be ruled out for new builds by 2024 I think (don't quote me on the exact year). Virtually all new homes now are built with heat pumps and A2+ ratings so there is simply no requirement for gas to heat these homes as gas is overkill so there are feck all gas boilers installed these days anyway.

4Greens will not even consider the possibility of re-opening two turf burning plants that have just been shut for 15 months.Be that with a further application (where the most vociferous opponent to the previous application as far as I know is employed as a Green Party researcher in the Seanad) or by legislation with us facing a national energy crisis.

Nor should they. We discussed Moneypoint & Tarbert, and we agreed both were terrible polluters. There are no peat facilities in Ireland that are not several magnitudes worse in terms of emissions than those 2 and thats emissions from the burning of peat, emissions from the extraction and stripping of peat. BnM have already moved on from Peat and are investing billions into renewables. This is a dead duck in terms of power generation.

5 My mention of nuclear, (even if greens for years have been part of the problem rather than the solution regarding an adult discussion on nuclear), was again to emphasis that when it came to filling the gap of wind energy the greens have no answer other than going scrounging of others hoping they have a surplus when we need it. That`s not a policy. It`s crossing your fingers and hoping every time you need it will work out.

I'm guessing you are referring to interconnectors here. Electricity is electricity once its flows through lines. The source doesn't really make much difference. The power we get over the various connectors comes from a multitude of sources, nuclear being one of them. We export power, we import power. In that sense, an interconnector is really no different than any other part of the grid.

Having an interconnected grid is one of the primary requirements for a stable grid as it allows for distribution of generation across a huge geographical area and mitigates against risks and its on of the reasons the EU is planning massive investment in interconnectors over the next few decades as it makes total sense.

One prime example of how beneficial interconnectors are was seen recently when the EU connected Ukraine to the EU grid, thereby eliminating one of Russias major holds they had over the Ukraine after they started to capture the likes of the Chernobyl and Zaporizhzhia nuclear power stations. By hooking them up via an interconnector, the Russians could turn off the power plants and the Ukrainians should barely notice.

I believe I answered your point #6 already through all of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 29,299 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hahaha, with a vibrant and growing IT sector here! the reluctance for both fracking and nuclear is clearly understandably why!

So much for the narrative that was being spun here that the other two of that three legged stool were totally on board with the green`s attempting to ban the use of LNG.

The sad part is that it took a war for both FF & FG to wake up and see where that madness was going to take us.

• Advertisement

As usual never an answer to a question, just deflect with another question. 🤦‍♂️

The Kerry LNG is been banned because of LNG supply which could and in all probability be fracked, if not then the company would just say no fracked LNG will be in Kerry, but they won’t.

Just Google the hundreds of articles on it.

If you read the article it mentions 1 FG TD.

it also has a comment from MM which doesn’t confirm or deny anything, it’s a puff piece but at the moment these puff pieces are held up by some as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Me: Where is the fracking taking place and what governemnt is currently in power there and has responsibility for the environment?

You: "Not sure what the point of the question is?"

You: "As usual never an answer to a question, just deflect with another question.

ROFL

Well my previous reply to you was factual so I guess you simply don't like when other posters point out where misinformation has been posted such as your claim that banning all future natural gas exploration was a "cabinet decision" where what was posted on the gps own website shows that was not the case and yet you continue to push that false narrative.

And probably best to drop the attempt at reverse psychology tbh. If you have an issue with any comment I make simply report it. That you regularly choose to attack those you do not agree with is noted.

But to paraphrase - I'm more that happy to reiterate that you have a constant pattern of a particular type of posting which adds nothing to the discussion, because you simply ignore what posters have clearly shown to be inaccurate or plain old wrong and instead you continue to repeat the exact same tired old misinformation again and again and again. That's fine if that's what you choose to do, but you can expect other posters to hold those comments up for scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

We do after all live in a planned economy. Which pretty much means the government and business moguls come together and decide

"x number of people are going to make so much money pulling material y out of the ground"

"then we'll boot on the overpriced coffee/food industry & cheap high margin fashion"

"when material y runs out we have 20 years supply of material z in the ground, this will create a certain number of jobs for people in 2040-2060"

the "transition phase" is just one of those steps. You can bet your bottom dolla they're already lining up the next money spinner for once they've everyone converted to electric cars and heat pumps. It will probably some virtual thing that exists only in the metaverse because most of the materials have already been pulled out of the ground.

The puff piece was being push here that all parties were on board with the greens on LNG. Clearly that is not the case,and I would not give the proposed Green Party LNG bill much chance of being passed.

Hopefully the Irish Green party are daft enough to throw a hissy fit and cause a general election. FF & FG would have some explaining to do as to why they agreed to the Greens demands on LNG, but nothing compared to the explaining the greens would have to do.

I would particularly enjoy listening to Eamon attempting to explain, (something their supporters here have failed to do), what is going to fill the gap left by natural gas. Waffling about pie in the sky hydrogen I`m afraid will just not cut ice with the Irish electorate.

A general election would also bring electricity charges to the fore. I would enjoy Eamon attempting to explain the marginal model of pricing in operation that is so favoured by greens. All it will take is one question, "Eamon, if tomorrow we had 90% of our electrical needs supplied by renewables would the price drop" for the answer to result in a nationwide, "For fcuk sake" as so far luckily for the greens not many know what the marginal model of pricing is.

Even some of the greens most ardent supporters here hadn`t a clue until it was explained to them here last week. Yourself included.

😂

I suggest you read back. The first question I asked, Did you read the article?

As I already said, 1 TD and MM who confirmed nothing. Hilarious anyone would post this as "proof". Worse then people are incapable of reading the article.

If the LNG is not passed then the government will be dissolved and rightly so.

As I said already, if the Healy Rae family think the Kerry LNG is a good option then you know it is not.

I have no idea what you are rambling about at the end, I think you are trying to say you explained something to me 😂

Post edited by brokenangel on

• Advertisement

So not "another essay long posts"? 😅

Again that seems to be mainly arguing ad nauseum over a number of miniscule, mundane points. Which btw is also an accusation you leveled at other posters here. But no matter.

Out of all of that you have left out the single most important detail which is that the green party's own policy highlight the need to reduce Irelands dependence on imported fossil fuels and yet here in your post your claiming the exact opposite

"This gas can be supplied through the Moffat lines to meet 100% of our requirements so we have no need of a LNG terminal, whether one gets built or not is up to ABP, but we will have no need for it"

"Electricity is electricity once its flows through lines. The source doesn't really make much difference"

And this when with what's going on in Europe and the shitshow there that is the escalating competition for reduced supplies of natural gas and that for the foreseable future. What gives that you choose to ignore these basic facts?

Advertisement