Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

You keep asking this question and you keep getting the same answer. Moffat

Not sure why you keep asking it, are you expecting something to change in the short period between your repeating of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Poster asked how are we over a barrel.

My point is we will be getting gas in via a non EU country that we don’t have the greatest history with.

That’s how we are over a barrel.

Strange how you can’t see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Via the pipeline and as I have said renewable technology is not just solar & wind

Biomethane is one which hasn't been discussed and has huge potential in Ireland

https://www.gasnetworks.ie/corporate/company/our-commitment/environment/renewable-gas/

This is going on two weeks now, we had a week of accusing me of not answering the question when I kept saying the UK pipeline. Yet here we are again and its the same question. Maybe if others answer it the penny might finally drop

Maybe they'll invade and make us part of the UK then it'll be grand, err, I mean spiffing old chap

Its a risk you know!

• Advertisement

Grand but it still leaves us dependant on the UK. ir over a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The Barryroe gas field has already been extensively investigated. Located around 50 km off the south coast of Ireland in shallow water (around 100 meters water-depth) has been dubbed one of the largest as yet undeveloped oil and gas discoveries offshore Europe. It is estimated once final surveys are completed- gas extraction could begin with 1 to 2 years

So yes a very strategically important gas field coming on shore in two years time would indeed help with our energy security for the next decade at least.

Our prices for electricity are sky high because of the EU green marginal price model for energy which means that the costs of electricity generation is pegged to the most expensive/ most taxed part of that mix. Atm that's natural gas. The same natural gas which is in high demand across the UK, Europe and Ireland not only because of increased scarcity of supply because of whats going on with Russia etc, but also because gas is one of two energy generation methods chosen by the EU to support transition to renewables over the next 30 years

So double whammy there to Ireland, because we import most of our natural gas atm from the UK (and Europe) with our greens falling over themselves to make sure Ireland won't be able to avail of any new reserves of Irish natural gas or even any new LNG Supplies from the US etc. But as the Energy regulator here has recently stated Ireland requires it's own secure supply of gas independent of the UK and Europe. But with the greens having gone off down the rabbit hole trying to outdo every else inthe EU and banning exploration and imports of LNG here, but also effectively stopping the use of existing but otherwise untapped reserves we're going to be fcked eitherway during that period of transition. Way to go greens 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Described by who? The same companies who have been trying trying and failing to get investment to extract that oil and gas for 2 decades?

Providence estimate 1.6 billion barrels of oil. Independent estimates put it closer to 300 million, it's nothing but a distraction that will do barely any good for Irelands energy security or independence.

You don't get the urgency of climate change. We have very little time to prevent irreversible impacts including setting off positive feedbacks that commit us to multiple degrees celsius of global warming

Post edited by Akrasia on

No thats certainly not the problem. And no people do not think if LNG import facilities are approved then the price of natural gas will necessarily drop. Or indeed if our own natural gas is tapped then "suddenly we'll be making millions"

That's bs.

What our own reserves of natural gas means to us (and if that is not possible) then the need to import LNG - is that we gain a diversity and security of supply during the next 30 years or so until technology catches up the issues of renewables being an unreliable form of energy generation.

That has already been explained many times in this thread. And yet oddly enough the deliberate disinformation continues. What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Cuffe says we should be charged an arm and a leg to fly anywhere, easy for him to say on his on his MEP salary and expenses.

Can't wait for the next election, I'm going to enjoy watching this party crash and burn.

Excuse my french but that's bullshit Go read the recent reports and technical reports of the oil and gas findings for the Barryroe field.

And if Europe doesn’t somehow get the urgency of climate change by clearly stating that the EU (and by extension Ireland) requires additional supplies of natural gas for the period of transition - then the loons don't get to overrule them or even the people of Ireland. If anyone else wants to go of and live in the stone age in the short term - they're welcome to do so. But they shouldn't expect the majority of the rest of us to be joining them.

Yeah and I know you personally believe that civilisation is going to end very shortly. Thing is the IPCC don't support that particular doomsday scenario

Look at it this way - the extraction of natural gas from the Barryroe gas field ain't going to cost us a penny and if as you says there's fuq all there then you get to claim youre right all along and whatever technology is the next best thing will reign supreme. Win win regardless. Or are you desperately trying to pretend otherwise? And if so why?

Why do you invest so much time in all the potential problems with our own strategic sources of natural gas and / or the importation of LNG, but are quite happy to sign up to complete and utter dependence on the UK for an imported natural gas supply without any critical analysis?

A gas supply which cannot be guaranteed. A gas supply which by 2025 will be running out. A gas supply which certainly means that Ireland will ge looking down an increasingly expensive and scarce pipeline?

We lose nothing developing our own strategic natural gas supplies. If it turns out they're not needed then you win. However we risk potentially losing everything by being wholly dependent on the UK for natural gas over the next 50 years or so. Are you happy to do that? If so you're in a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Why do you not just read what the Chairperson of the CRU actually said rather than your "2-3 sentences" and imagining what she said. She certainly did not say that a LNG terminal was in danger of a damaged pipeline due to a sinking ship which you believed she said.

She clearly laid out the dangers of relying on Moffat pipelines and that even as we are now we are not in compliance with E.U energy requirements. Ignoring what she said is not going to change anything. What it is, is further acknowledgement that the greens have no idea how to solve either but rather are attempting to make a bad situation worse by hoping to ban LNG.

And will you have a bit of sense with your Russia bombing Kerry. Even the Healy Rae`s would be regarded as having gone completely demented suggesting that. Why would the Russians want to bomb a LNG terminal built by the state. Do you think they have some dastardly plan to invade ?

You explaining nothing. Seemingly you think calling everything “bullshit” will somehow impress us. Nope.

You have stumbled around LNG for weeks now without the ability to explain any of the details and suddenly now the answer is an oil/gas field in Barryroe which the company who want to drill say they will have no idea of viable till 2026.

I don’t think I need to go on but I think we can all agreeing waiting around till 2026 in the blind hope something might come of it would be the height of stupidity

That’s the thread I shared with you and told you to check if out, along with the battery one. 🤦‍♂️

You are just embarrassing yourself now, the little keyboard warrior act is pathetic and it’s not just me pointing it out. Grow up

Depending on a none E.U. jingoistic nation to supply you with an energy source to keep the lights on, especially when their own source is heading rapidly towards depletion, what could possibly go wrong.

You would seriously wonder what universe some people are living in.

• Advertisement

Well if something is bs and explained how that is so. Then it needs little further explanation. Sorry if you don't like that .

Again to reiterate. What you've stated is certainly not the problem. And no people do not think if LNG import facilities are approved then the price of natural gas will necessarily drop. Or indeed if our own natural gas is tapped then "suddenly we'll be making millions"

Who is the "us" you speak of? It's certainly not the majority of people in Ireland or even this thread. And no I've not been a big proponent of LNG - you've been battling that fight with various other posters. I've mentioned it incidentally. You do need to keep up.

Barryroe has came up recently because of the utter and gross misinformation being pushed by a small number of green advocates. Correcting that misinformation is part of that.

I quite agree you don't need to go on. I think I've heard it all before and still it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

You stumbled across it today and now you claim to be an expert on it, hilarious. You haven’t a clue apart from a few article we can all read on the web. All of which say nobody knows if viable or not.

For the last two week when everyone said no sites for found in 50 years in ireland you never mentioned it once. Now suddenly you are trying to say you knew all along? 🤣🤣

In relation to both Ireland and the E.U.the U.K. signed an internationally recognised agreement, The Northern Ireland Protocol.

How`s that working out ?

Seems strange then why so many are hell bent on getting alternative supplies in the form of LNG from other non-EU nations.

Has the penny not dropped yet ?

The E.U. will be getting LNG from the U.S. Seems for some reason there is going to be a severe shortage of natural gas in the E.U. due to a war in Ukraine. I would go into greater detail but you probably don`t believe that, so I`ll leave it to you to work out the reason for yourself.

I've "never mentioned it once" lol Really!! And you going to try tell me I have not discussed this very issue with you and others as late as last week?

Lol. Well you certainly haven't been reading the comments in this thread then. I've referred to Barryroe gas field in this thread previously. Infact you and I had this exact discussion previously

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118817768/#Comment_118817768

Do you pay attention at all to what posters actually write or is it a case of even more disinformation?

And yes the tecnical reports show the Barryroe gas and oil field to be commercially viable. Go do some research before making crap up. Not only have I posted about this several times - Ive also detailed previously your "50 years and no sites" was complete and utter hogwash. But whats new?

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

With regards to keeping the lights on, someone posted a while back something along the lines of if there are blackouts in the meantime so be it. Obviously someone who never lived in an area affected by at least semi-regular powercuts.

You seem to condemn gas imports from some non-EU sources and at the same time you seem to support them from other non-EU sources.

You should take a stab at politics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There are 15 energy providers in Ireland. What happens to their finances when 20% of their customers can't pay?

What happens when your energy supplier goes bust and there is less choice on the market?

Would the government (underwritten by taxpayer and ECB borrowing) be forced to step in and "nationalise" these companies like they did the banks during the last bust. The argument being they would need to stabilise the grid to prevent widespread blackouts due to being unable to balance the grid.

The policy being pursued for the last 20 years has meant that the costs of balancing the grid are rising as more random energy is put on the grid, Grids across Europe are becoming more unstable as a consequence. Domestically Eirgrid lacks the expertise to manage the grid into the future and have said they cannot guarantee power.

By 2025 it is estimated we will need to import 90% of the gas consumed in this country. The shortcomings of random generation sources are hidden by the availability of CCGT plants that use gas.

The plan is to shut the coal plant in Moneypoint in 2025.

We are in an energy crisis right across Western Europe likely to become worse than the 1970s caused by pursuit of various political policies that have been building for 20 years. The reality of blackouts and energy poverty are on the horizon and not a short term blip that the government thought it could manage with the temporary credit scheme paid out of carbon taxes.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

I saw that. Brownouts I think the poster termed them. I wondered at the time will the Green`s use it as their election slogan at the next general election if they collapse the government due to them not getting their way on banning LNG.

Advertisement