Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I wouldn't like to be dependant on the UK for gas, wasn't Priti Patel threatening to starve us, if they didn't get the Backstop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The government are paying . . . no they are not. The taxpayer base are funding this through environmental taxes and interest payments on debt.

These specification inflation appeal to the professional urban middle class voters who can afford these standards, they remove all the cheap entry points for accommodation and front load the costs on the generation starting out, very little build as you go any more. The Green party passed legislation in 2008 that took effect in 2013 when most of the poor people who lived in such accommodation provided by slum-lords, found themselves on the street. The most unfortunate among them died one died in front of the Dail from exposure as a consequence of the councils Intensified Inspection Programme between 2013 & 2015. The slumlords retired and sold out, a new class of developer arrived on the scene, did the places up and increased the rents. These places are now being sold to German and Israeli funds who need the yields due to the ECBs negative interest rate policy since 2014. Mission accomplished, property values increased, making banks and vulture funds whole. Don't be poor in the environmental utopia, you will pay for it with your life.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I suppose we’ll find out soon enough when the gas runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I am sure earlier on this thread we had people complaining because landlord wouldn’t improve houses, now seemingly the government are forcing them to upgrade and people are complaining. Really not sure how the government can win in this situation

• Advertisement

Priti is too much of a loose cannon for anyone to be afraid of what she will do, too much baggage with the bullying etc

The bigger issue is the current parties we have in opposition at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Are the shinners and the ruskies conspiring to blow up all the gas supply lines

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The government are doing these upgrades for free for families with at least one child who earn less than 541 euros per week

If you include the child benefit from that child, that's basically 30k take home pay after tax

Families with more children can earn thousands more, plus get the additional working family payments to top up their income further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Does it not tell you all you need to know about the U.K. government that your "loose cannon" Patel being Home Secretary is one of their most senior ministers as one of their Great Offices of State. They are respectively The Prime Minister, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Foreign Secretary and Home Secretary.

Some of the "so what" nonsense you post here is truly mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

For example you want standards as a result less people die in house fires, those regulations require regular inspections as part, that overhead cost is passed on in the rent. I'm showing you specific examples of the consequences at the margins of society. The voters wanted better standards of accommodation, they got it through legislation, there is a trade off, if some men die as a result of not being able to find sheltered accommodation, they were going to die sooner or later, might as well be sooner and today German and Israeli pensioners benefit from their sacrifice and the wisdom of the legislators over a decade previous. The politician can boast of the improvements their legislation bought about to their voter base, they don't tell you about the cost and who needed to be sacrificed and since this is not America, dead people don't vote in elections.

The reason I'm bringing this up, there is a severe crisis under way that is causing energy and food shortages and many people will die as a consequence. It is entirely a crisis created by the ineptitude of many, many politicians (not just Greens). It is a rude awakening for us all, we have a few short months of Summer to figure out how we will survive the energy supply crash ahead of Winter, irrespective of current events the electricty supply crisis in Ireland is pencilled in for the latter half of the 2020s, current events just bring it forward.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

The government pays for the upgrades using tax payers money.

I prefer a government that has these income supports and free upgrade schemes for lower paid workers, than one that would just reduce taxes and leave people to fend for themselves.

Those evil greens, trying to improve the housing stock in the country, taking away people's god given right to live in damp cold sub standard accommodation.

The lack of government investment in social housing during the period when the Greens were not in power is part of their cold calculating plan to kill off the lower classes.

So you want to become reliant on 'America First' Trump or Neo Trump who could very easily be in power in the US by 2024.

Isolationists to the east and west of us, means we should focus on our plan and try to play to our strengths of having some of the most abundant renewable energy sources in the world while building interconnectors to the EU as quickly as we can

I am not going down the rental discussion. The tenant wanted all the right, they got them. Now they are complaining because only large rental companies are in place and the small landlord is driven out.

I don't see how many people will die. We have the option now to invest in our own power creation using renewables which we know will work(solar, wind, biomethane) or we can continue with fossil fuels which will provide no immediate help and even if we give drilling licenses we could be here in 2030 and no further along.

We could have significant power generated via renewables in 12 months time if we start now. That will not happen if we invest in a LNG or some vague oil/gas field in the ocean.

Food wastage in Ireland is still way too high.

I heard tonight from a farmer that the milk companies are saying they will cut the price of milk if they go over a certain level in summer this year. So instead of encouraging our farmers to produce we are telling them to stop producing. That is f**king madness when you think people are struggling to buy food.

I am sure someone will blame the Greens for that but it has nothing to do with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

So the rich and poor get all the goodies.

A lot of people out there that don't claim any social welfare and have two workers who will very soon find it extremely difficult to heat their house. We cant afford to avail of these grants because we don't have the money, I'm delighted that the poor are given this option for free, i just wish they didn't forget a whole demographic who will also need these upgrades now more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

One word sums that up. Balloxs

You previously tried to claim that the Barryroe gas field was not going ahead because you (bizarrely) said it wasn't viable. And another here tried to repeatedly claim that we had no untapped gas reserves at all!

When the truth is that the extraction of gas from the Barryroe field is actually being held up by Mr Eamon Ryan himself after he has repeatedly failed to respond to requests from the company undertaking the work for the final phase of the project to proceed. So what's with the constant disinformation on this thread by a few?

The CRU has been mentioned because she has simply reiterated what many on this thread have been saying about the necessity of a safe, secure and reliable source of natural gas and whether that will be our own natural gas or LNG or both remains to be seen. And yet we have a few diehards who can't comprehend that reality for some strange reason.

It's irrelevant how long the LNG terminal will be operative for. The fact is that it is needed and the sooner the better. And of course everyday permission is pushed out because of the greens policy on banning LNG means that there will be yet more delays and the people of Ireland will end up paying heavily for that.

The available gas field in Barryroe is also been held up by thd Green Party and again that's an inexcusable delay considering that we need a safe, secure and reliable source of gas. Current estimates indicate that gas could be flowing by 2026 and before the Corrib gas field is fully depleted . But once again the prevarication by the greens means that this project being irretrievably delayed and the people of Ireland will end up paying heavily for that.

The simple fact is that natural gas has been identified at EU level as been necessary to support the transition to renewable energy generation for the immediate future and beyond

"Trolling"? Indeed - we have deflection, disinformation and heads in the sand rubbish being continously posted. If I was the paranoid, I'd say its no stranger than the regurgitated output of a bot farm So what gives?

They haven't, that is the SEAI grant system. That is what everyone else is supposed to use

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Where have I said I`m in favour of relying on the U.K. or U.S. for our natural gas. An energy source we will need for many many years to come before we are anywhere close to having 100% reliable renewable sources.

Interconnectors are another fingers crossed and hope with the E.U. shortage of natural gas.

I`m in favour of building our own LNG terminal where we would have at least some autonomy over supplies where we could source our on supply on the world market. What I am most definitely not in favour of is the inane attempt by the green party to ban LNG which would not only prevent us availing of E.U. sourced LNG, but leave us even worse off for E.U, compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

That would be all well and good except the greens will now add extra taxes onto our household as punishment for not implementing their recommended upgrades. And that's not even including the necessity for electric cars, as we have no viable public transport near us to get to work. So they will screw us over. Again. We won't be giving them any votes in the next election, and I sincerely hope they return no candidates to the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

Yea i was talking about the SEAI grant system, 10k to get solar panels, 15k heat pump, 2k attic insulation, 20k EWI, 8k windows upgrade, these are all prices with the grant baked in and they are only going to go up.

You constantly repeat that you've "no idea" and you "don't understand". At least that is a verifiable part of your comments tbf.

The poster to whom you reply above again was not blaming the green party "for everything". Rather they referred to the unrealistic attitude of green advocates pushing their ideology.

But yes As for the"greens" we do indeed have a number of controversial policies which have come to fruition under their programme of governmen where they have done plenty to try and drag this country back to the dark ages, such as the green parties efforts to ban all natural gas exploration, their attempts to block all LNG infrastructure developments and so on infinitum despite the fact that the country requires a safe, secure and reliable source of natural gas. Something the UK can no longer be guaranteed to provide.

And the curious thing is you don't even seem to agree with the green parties policy on the need for natural gas for the period of transition to renewable energy generation. You seem to have come up with a fairly cracked brain solution which instead involves us moving to even more renewables, such as tidal power even though for the short term that type of development is utterly unrealistic. How's that suppose to work?

For everyone pointing to a few comments from the regulator. Maybe watch this video from 49 mins.

You can take it whatever way you want of course. I am sure people will

You seem to be talking for another poster again. I am sure they can respond to me if they want.

I have no interest in you ranting at me

It's not 10k to get solar panels, heat pump I doubt start at 15k but maybe they do, but I don't see why everyone is obsessed with a heat pump. I don't know what EWI is?

With SEAI you need to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Add in new radiators, your floors ripped up, new piping etc etc.

You have no idea about the costs and work let’s be honest.

If you say so, I know Solar is not 10k unless you bring in a certain company with 8 in it

P.S if you are ripping up floor I guess you are putting in A2W so you don’t need new rads

So once again you fail to respond fairly to points made in reply to your comment because "reasons". Thats little more than a cop out. Though tbh I'm not surprised at this point.

But whats with the constant use of the same phrases directed at other posters here, where your stock answer is you accusing anyone replying to your comments as "ranting. You start by continually saying you've "no idea" and you "don't know". It's like you're on auto reply and deliberately ignoring what other posters are saying. How's that work?

There could be zero GP TD's after the next election and nothing you have outlined would change.

Carbon tax will remain and will increase annually

Emission sources will continue to get squeezed

and so on and so on

All parties signed off on the climate action plans so regardless of whoever is in power there will not be any reversals. In fact the way the legislation has been drafted, there is a legal requirement for govt to enact these plans and any reversal only forces (legally speaking) further, harsher actions rather than the gently/gently/slowly/slowly pace at the moment

• Advertisement

To quote yourself "I've no idea" what you think that proves other than what many posters here have already called out about the need for a safe, secure and reliable source of natural gas during the period of transition to renewable energy generation.Something the UK can no longer guarantee. If you imagine that she said otherwise you must be living in fairyland with rainbows and unicorn poop.

Advertisement