Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

I don't know what measure you are using when you say intelligent but wanting to give permits to allow people to drink drive legally has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever floated by pub owning politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Well then I firmly believe that 23% of Dublin Bay South voters are clear Dimwits. But I guess you could phrase that as 77% are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The Healy Rae want

Drink driving allowed: They own a pub

Want to stop electric cars and promote diesel: they own a fuel station

They want more roads built: they own a road's company

They do not want the government to change rental laws: they are the biggest landlords in the Dail

Now if you notice a trend please stop me.....the Healy Rae family are interested in anything that lines their pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

2 articles in a week by South Dublin historian, lecturer and Irish Times columnist Diarmaid Ferriter. Certainly the CV of a typical Green Party supporter.

Much of the latest article is condescending antagnositic twaddle. My issue is stuff like this is toxic to any sort of debate or any resolution to these issues. Just immediately turns people against the issues raised.

• Advertisement

I think the Green Party are now toxic really, they're being held up by their cheerleaders in RTE, academia and media at large. They have almost no support despite such media cheerleading, 2% in the polls? They have virtually no representation outside cities and even in cities very few representaives from working class backgrounds. Yet they wish to force their will on everyone else.

They do nothing but harm to environmentalism and the causes they supposedly represent. In my local paper last week most of the councillors were spewing venom at Eamon Ryan as he massively cut road funding supposedly, and doesn't care about it. And most of these were FG/FF councillors. Mind you I think Ive heard enough about FF/FG blaming Eamon Ryan when they went into bed with Greens and Ryan and go forward with their agenda. Seems a real cop out from FF/FG to continually just blame Ryan when they are in Government with him.

Good question. Seems like an eco extremist and extremely arrogant individual. Of course given free reign by Irish media. I believe he is some sort of campaigning journalist/academic and on some Green NGO quango or some other gravy train.

One of these NGO types thats wheeled out to tell us what to do and what we can't. Unelected but with sway it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Apologies for not getting to this sooner, but your mention of some of the Irish Green party having that dead eye fanatical look reminded me of something I read years ago and it took me some time to dig it up. It`s an article written in 1997 by William T Daly then Associate Professor of Political Science at Stockton State College on the subject of ideological fanaticism.

" The distinguishing characteristic of the fanatic is his highly simplified and rigid held view of social reality. He casts aside the complex and unintegrated beliefs about causality which others use to make rough sense of their world, in favor of a tendency to see the cause of all problems in a single force for evil and the solution to all those problems in a single force for good. He rejects the complex and unintegrated values which serve others as a guideline for moral behavior, in favor of a tendency to view as moral any behavior which contributes to victory for the forces of good and to view as immoral any behavior which delays or endangers that victory. Finally he views with contempt the willingness of others to act without reference to his explicit beliefs and values. He see it as weakness to act in accordance with different and often contradictory guidelines in different areas of life, and insists that all behavior conforms strictly and explicitly to his highly simplified sets of values and beliefs."

For the Irish Green party a description that sits well with that fanatical dead eyed look of some of them imo.

More or less stupid than an actual government minister proposing to legislate that it would be perfectly legal to sell and gift turf in a community of 500 or less, but that it would be Illegal to do so in community of 501 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Don't underestimate the amount FG/FF are willing to sacrifice to stay in power (even if it means accepting the Green nuttery). We can already see that they are willing to piss away 2.2 Billion (at least) of tax payer's money to save the seats of their Donegal and Mayo constituents.

• Advertisement

Pippa Hackett knocks that achievement into a cocked hat.

She was rejected by the electorate of Laois-Offaly in 2020, but still made it to Ministerial level on the back of 79 first preference votes a few months later.

lol, yeah I left that one alone, its too easy to poke at him about his "God above is in charge of the weather and we here can’t do anything about it" nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Interesting.

I note that before becoming a career politician, Mr Ryan founded Cycling Safaris, a company which organises cycling holidays in Ireland and Europe.

Ms Ryan has been a director of the Company since 1989.

Does that explain why Mr Ryan promotes bicycles?

Would the fact Ireland is one of the most obese countries in Europe not explain why EVERY political party would promote cycling?

I suggest you look back at the elections in 2020, local election in 2019, election 2015 and local election 2014

All have shown a steady increase in support for the Green party not just in the Dail but in local elections.

All parties now have a green agenda. As pointed out multiple times lots of the changes the Green Party get blamed for was implemented with no input form them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The future is renewables so says the Greens.

We will have wave generated energy, we will have wind farms.

Then ah no, you can put a wind farm there as it spoils the view.

You won't be able to put a wave generation farm there as it spoils the view.

Anyone that still supports the greens after seeing the amount of bullshyte the party representatives come out with are really lacking in common sense.

First we had Eamon cabbage head on about introducing wolves.

After all it was done in Yellowstone National Park.

Except that is a contigous land area the size of more than half of Leinster not a disjointed area in North Wicklow or West Mayo, the two proposed locations.

Then we had a pronouncement that only a few cars should do a village full of people. We could car share.

And now we have this nonsense about communities of less than 500 can buy and sell turf.

WTF ?

They are idiots and anyone that still supports them is also an idiot.

Oh and a piece of information for posters here, commenting on certain other posters gets you infraction, even though said posters appear to be either loons or sh**stirrers. 😉

I am not allowed discuss …

I didn't ask about any Political Party

I see you've also gone off on your favourite obesity obbsession

But to return to the question asked

I note that before becoming a career politician, Mr Ryan founded Cycling Safaris, a company which organises cycling holidays in Ireland and Europe.

You first.

...of course is does, but is it is main reason for doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah now be fair she was elected, well to Offaly county council anyway.

And then she stood unopposed for the agriculture panel for the Senate when another Green got elected to Europe.

Oh and here is the real kicker she gifted her county council seat to her husband.

Correct me if i am wrong, but usen't the greens frown on nepotism and the likes in politics ?

By the way she is originally from Galway/Mayo and went to college in Wales/England to do Equine Science (must be one of the horsey types) and eventually in Limerick to do sports biomechanics.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I think you give them too much credit. The only cause they care about is themselves.

Insane idea, but their die hard supporters love this kind of tripe. They're playing to their audience in a completely cynical way.

I did answer the question, people are fat in Ireland, people need to cycle. TD promoting exercise and you are complaining about it

If Ryan came out and told everyone to stay at home with no exercise you would complain then

Jog on as they say :-)

...of course is does, but is it is main reason for doing so?

I don't know. But like any career politician such as Mr Ryan or the Healy Raes that seems to be a matter of speculation.

The Chair of the Green Party, Pauline O'Reilly, stormed to victory to get her Seanad seat with 82 votes (having been rejected for the Dáil by the people of Galway).

true, but as you said, we dont know, my suspicions are, its not, but thats all they are.....

"I did answer the question, people are fat in Ireland, people need to cycle. TD promoting exercise and you are complaining about it

If Ryan came out and told everyone to stay at home with no exercise you would complain then"

Lol. Incorrect. You did not answer the question about Mr Ryan. Instead you posed question about Political Partys and obesity! Here's your bizarre reply.

"Would the fact Ireland is one of the most obese countries in Europe not explain why EVERY political party would promote cycling?"

I now see you've double downed on that, again going on about "obesity" and people "complaining"

And btw no one is "complaining" about bicycles been used for exercise or indeed any other reason except yourself

So again following on from your comment about the Healy Raes - my question

You first

Note: Any answer stating you've - "answered the question", "read the thread", "ranting" "rambling" "why are you attacking me" "its pointless having a discussion" etc etc won't wash. Youve tried all that sh**te a million times already on this thread

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 postmahone

ah i see you are all getting on well here at least agreeing on something anyway ,the greens ,the name should say it all green when it comes to reality,old sleepy head is away with the fairies cycles to work me arse and the limo guzzling fuel following him with his security lol what a plonker ,this country is in no fit state to drop fossil fuels for at least 50 years due to the fact there is nothing to replace them atm to keep the price down and the country tickng over ,lets not fool ourselves [not like some ]we are still at the starting gate and the race started 20 years ago,trying to be good europeans has cost this country dearly,bars ,resturaunts and hotels closing as one idiot stated we should be like our friends in europe and become coffee drinkers ,oh ya hes gone a long time and left a nice mess behind him ,remember these politicians are only around for 10 to 15 years or less before they get the big pension after that they don't give a **** and we are stuck with their mad stupid idiotic ideas they got implemented on a whim......we have off our coast over a billion barrels of oil and gas ,the waterford coast with easy access ,so lets be smart and at least use this as a stop gap measure till we get up to speed on other forms of renewables without running head long into another mess,its about time we smarted up and looked at the short term due to the fuel shortage with a view to the long term ,give eamon his early pension and let him go and spread his nonsense[bullshit] in another field😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The opinion polls are quite unreliable when it comes to estimating the support of small parties and that of parties with geographically concentrated support. The sample sizes are large enough to measure national party support levels but not local. That's why it is not unusual to see them gaining and losing a few % in polls. The Green support is also quite concentrated. Nationally, its support may appear low but it still got TDs elected much like PBP and the SocDems. The cult of Saint Greta brought the Greens some support and even votes but it was SF transfers that got some TDs elected in the 2020 GE. FF/FG needed the Greens as its usual choice of Labour had a poor result from the GE.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

You are aware that SF will need another party?

So the current trend of SF supporters slagging off every party in Ireland as terrible is hilarious because IF SF get into government they will need another party, then we will have the same posters trying to tell us how great they are

Plus very interesting if the Greens are so terrible, why did SF go and talk to them first after the last election? 🤣

Advertisement