Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,208 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

not at all, theyre just extremely short sighted, theyre a typical political party, theyve little or no connection to the average person

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How do you mean it's beyond stupid? If we decrease by 200,000 say and Brazil increase by 24 million, then what we do won't make any difference at all anyway. And they may increase even more because we're producing less.

but if we dont decrease, more than likely, everyone keeps increasing, including ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No idea, you'd have to ask Centrica or whatever Bord Gais generation is called. Hopefully there will be but who knows?

Look, this is all just absurd.

If we eat less meat we'll have to eat more crops. If we sow more crops that's more fertilizer and more CO2.

The only way we can substantially reduce CO2 is to eat less.

How do you propose we do that?

• Advertisement

grow less, purchase less, consume less, currently, roughly 30% of our food heads to landfill, something wrong there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

That wont happen. As recently as 2020 nuclear energy was being discussed and Moneypoint was identified as the most likely site (although the suggestion was not taken particularly seriously)

Earlier this year it was announced that Moneypoint will be the base for a €2 billion wind farm off the Clare coast which will be completed in 2 phases, the first coming online in 2030. Moneypoint is due to stop burning coal in 2025 so we may end up sitting in the dark for a few years!

I totally agree with you about waste. I throw away virtually nothing. Only been the case for the last year or so and yes I did eat too much and is the fundamental reason so many people are so overweight above the eating healthy reason often given. People pack their fridge so when they what to prepare something they have a selection of things to choose from and have something different to eat every day, and the end result is stuff goes off. All it takes is a bit of thought and management, and you can save quite a bit of money as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yep, that's not much of a plan for starters. If it really were that easy we'd have done it by now.

over consumption is far more complex than poor individual choices, even though thats a part of it, we re currently experiencing a catastrophic collapse in economic and pollical ideologies, on both the left and right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Okay , this one I can answer ,

If you grow food and eat it you can get the benefit of All those calories ..

If you grow food and feed it to something else ( a cow , pig ,a chicken ,a salmon or a mushroom ) ,and then you eat that something else ( or its product in the case of milk or eggs ) , then you only get the calories there in ... https://tabledebates.org/research-library/feed-conversion-efficiency-aquaculture-do-we-measure-it-correctly

I think beef cattle are some where between 6 :1 ,and 10:1 , so if give the animal 6000 calories you should get aprox 1000, I have no idea is that to fork , a live thousand kg animal would probably only give you about 480 kg of a beef carcass , and there'd still be a lot of bone in that ...

On the other hand cattle should eat mainly grass, and we don't .. plus while cattle aren't very efficient at turning grass to meat , what they don't use (manure) should be returned to the field , so that helps ...

Pigs and chickens are way more efficient converters of feed - but they tend to eat more of the same things as we can , and it takes way more energy to cultivate harvest and process cereal crops then feed it to pigs or chickens ,and spread the manure , than to grow grass in a continuous pasture , let the cow out to eat it ,and deal with its own manure - ( cows need to be housed and fed in winter though)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

The EU or the WHO have nothing to do with our environment and how much we pollute it, that is 100% our own responsibility. If you want to ignore the damage that is being done that's on you, but I would rather we work to protect the environment we do have.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Currently they use 11% of national grid capacity, which will rise to almost 30% by the end of the decade. If all data centres proposed are allowed, their energy use would comprise 70% of capacity by 2030, committee to hear. https://twitter.com/JCFJustice/status/1442771740241838082

As for enormous amounts of employment you mention, well they temporarily employ some in building them, but generally they are automated so don't need many employees to run them.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,535 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Maybe someone already brought it up, I haven't read the thread, but what did people think should have happened when Fianna Gael, backed by Fianna Fail signed Ireland up to the Paris Agreement?

The greens are being used as a punching bag for people to decry any sort of action or initiative which may impact any element of their life. FFS, people are furious at Greta because she is daring to open her mouth without having a feasible solution to the entirety of the problem which will not impact the quality of life of anyone as it is implemented.

You either think there's a problem, and want to see change, or you don't believe there's a problem (or don't care about it) and don't. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth at the Greens we see on here tells me that it is likely to be the latter.

If people are worried about the policies 'destroying the country' have you missed the Governments where they went to court to try to make sure Apple didn't have to pay a tax bill of 13B, or when they told Perrigro that they could write down their tax bill by a 1.3B?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is a take i had not expected to see. also, don't forget that a lot of crops are grown to feed livestock, and feeding crops to livestock to feed to humans is quite inefficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Nope...what we use is miniscule. You can go the whole per person thing but its nonsense.

Ireland could suddenly turn off all the power, stop all the cars , slaughter our entire herd , bring our emission rate to zero and it wouldn't even made a dent in emissions.

Until the big offenders are reined in the whole cutting emissions thing is nonsense.

But I firmly believe we're close to a cataclysmic collapse within the next 2 decades. If we don't achieve anything of note by 2030 the planet or more to the point humankind is screwed in the long term.

When China fired up more coal stations in 2020 than all the countries in the world combined then its farcical.

China is leading the world in new coal power plants, building more than three times as much new coal power capacity as all other countries in the world combined in 2020. It isn’t alone in its reliance on coal, however. China and four other countries, India, Indonesia, Japan and Vietnam, account for more than 80% of the coal power stations planned across the world.

Now they are leading the world in renewable energy but that's just China....the rest are still miles behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,213 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s the problem with the greens and their ilk... happy to point out the problems but when you ask them to be proactive and plan and be part of executing and implementing an alternative ....their party is one hell of an echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Has anyone explained how the Green are responsible for closing 2 power stations when in opposition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Those two tax cases are very different. Perrigo were deemed to owe us tax by Revenue and a deal was struck. In Apple's case Revenue had already made the tax decision and that €13bn doesn't belong to us anyway. The court case is challenging our treatment of the income so naturally the government has joined it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ireland, vs. brazil, the climate change debate:

ireland: we shouldn't do anything, brazil is way bigger than us.

brazil: ireland's CO2 per capita is three times that of brazil. let the rich countries curb their excess before preaching to us.

Wind isn't the answer though, unless we also invest in Very Large Batteries to store it for when there isn't any wind, or the wind is too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

While the Greens are guilty of being piss poor at governing and functioning, we certainly need Green policies, (maybe not our Greens).

The run on power has been attributed to Data centers and more are in the works.

However as with 99.9% of issues, the problem is poor or no planning. We can't put everything on the Greens or even FF/FG, other previous government such as FG/FF are at fault too. The ball should have been rolling on addressing this in advance. Not looking into it a few weeks shy of possible power outages.

We will be relying on gas and coal plants more now because nobody plans ahead. The Greens are supposed to be on the ball regarding energy needs and alternatives. Seems like they came in with a list and no due diligence. Like the Data centers getting the nod by FF/FG, with nobody looking to see how we'd get on.

The world is fucked and although our part is infinitesimal, it's important we play our part and do our bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Well the other idea for Moneypoint (which was also rejected) was biomass. Not sure if that would have been any better in the long run but they've settled on this wind farm which won't be operational the guts of a decade so that's that I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It was reputational too. The deal was low taxes for jobs, to whack on a huge tax bill after might make other companies look to alternatives. This is always glossed over by those that bring it up. It’s not giving away money, taking it has a price. One that could cost far more.

the wealth from such activities 'trickles down', so cant wait for my trickle down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The greens are a joke and that Eamon Ryan a complete muppet. I'm all for the environment but I certainly wouldn't vote for the green party.

What help to the environment have they ever done whenever they have been in power anyway ,can't think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So anyone able to explain what the Green Party had to do with the current energy crisis yet?

Advertisement