Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

To be honest the state can't do anything efficiently, it's just a money bonfire,every b'tard having to get their cut,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Most small and large towns in this country have a rural community, once you go a few miles out the road and turn off the main road. They are by no means as isolated as you imagine but being far smaller communities they don’t always get the attention that urban areas do and they have their own concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

partly agree, but partly disagree, and theres plenty of evidence to support this, we have been bombarding ourselves with our own propaganda about this for decades now, and its not entirely true, but only partly, at some stage we re gonna have to be big grown ups and accept this reality, and form some sort of public/private sector partnerships, to deal with what needs to be dealt with, both sectors have pros and cons, but both are equally needed

More Follywomble BS, nowhere in Ireland is the middle of nowhere,

I know of someone who was going to build an agricultural shed, they were told to apply for a grant, it would pay half and farmer pay the other half, use state recommended contractor, anyway they priced the materials and labour themselves and realised that it would be the same cost to them ,where was the grant money going?

• Advertisement

you cant make such a judgment on one event, theres plenty of evidence to support, without our public sectors, society simply wouldnt function, we have fallen into this trap of believing all state related activities are wasteful, some are, but some are in fact critical

There's too much abuse, cronies getting contracts for multiples of the actual cost, there's public/private partnerships that deliver but there is also a lot that are just bleeding the citizens dry, we need to approach cronyism and corruption with extreme sanctions, long prison sentences and seizure of assets,

true, illegal activates within our political system need to be dealt with correctly, but again, the public sector alone is not the entire issue, we simply cannot rap it up, and privatise the whole thing, theres also plenty of evidence globally that suggests doing so, would be detrimental to us all

I don't want privatisation ,I want efficiency, having to call an electrical contractor to replace a lightbulb or getting taxis to take someone 200metres down the road is the crap that's going on, if it cost a billion to do a full time and motion study on state bodies it would be worth it,

again, we re defaulting to primarily public sector inefficiencies, which do exist, but literally little or no talk of private sector inefficiencies, which sometimes, far exceeds public sector inefficiencies

• Advertisement

...or how about, we just build up, to try reduce sprawl....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If your living rural in a one off you have a massive carbon footprint compared to urban dwellers. Your also much more expensive to service.

Your post is delivered by a van to a few people every day, yet in urban environments the post is delivered by bike to thousands every day. Think of that van, the tax, insurance, tyres, replacement etc… 

If an ambulance calls to my house it’s in the hospital in ten minutes and back in action. If it has to travel for hours you’re one ambulance down for one patient for a day, that could be half the fleet. 

This goes for everything… deliveries, servicing, policing, etc… You’re car dependent. Towns and villages are dying, why? Nobody wants to live in them, they want their part of the countryside to themselves. They drive to outlets and forget about the butcher, the baker, the grocer, the pub..

Then everyone wonders why they and the post office closed down. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You could make the same argument about new developments in the city with no shops or facilities, people complain because they don’t have a local shop for milk but do their weekly shop in Lidl or Aldi as it’s cheaper.

Also farms still need to be in the country so are they supposed to live in isolation with no services but supply your food?

Irony is that the state are most likely entity to be sending letters, bar the odd birthday card nobody posts letters anymore

I'm talking about your average one house dweller that has no connection to the land, farms have to be in the countryside, they have the services they need.

You couldn't be more wrong. Since the pandemic An Post have never been busier, delivering more than ever before. They're planning a €100 million-plus investment in new infrastructure over the next three years to cope with the surge in deliveries driven by the explosion in online shopping in the pandemic.

...again, over simplification, not everyone can live in larger towns and cities.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

That would mean no social life for farmers as there wouldn’t be a pub due to low population so less young farmers would want to stay as a farmer.

All the Green notions about the entire population living in 100 storey buildings in Dublin while the rest of the country is wilded seems to be missing one thing, what will people do? You'd be looking at probable 60-70% unemployment, They cry that rural Ireland is costing them money but its nothing compared to what it will cost them if everyone who has a job has to pay for two that haven't.

Get a letter or two about once a fortnight, usually junk, any parcels are usually DPD or Fastway,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my parents in law live about 4km from the nearest town, surrounded by farmland. about 20% of their neighbours, at a guess, farm the land. a lot of the houses near them are children of the farmers, but their jobs have nothing to do with agriculture. the last place i'd want to live is next door to my parents - and i have a good relationship with them - so i just find that a little odd. i know the reasons why, but i just couldn't do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,364 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why don't the Greens subsidise one way trips to Switzerland, one less person on the earth would suit their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I love when a green party member is on the radio and they're asked whether Ireland should be increasing tourism (and thus have more people flying on planes) or whether tourism should be reduced (and thus have a weaker economy and lose tourism related jobs). They never know what to answer.

Funniest one I heard was one of them say we should look towards "greener tourism" which they said meant instead of flying into Ireland for a weekend, they should fly in for long periods, like a week. Made no sense to me how that reduces emissions. "but they can cycle along our greenways". Oh yeah...that helps the planet, flying people in on planes to cycle a few km...if you wanted to save the planet you wouldn't want them coming in in the first place.

"The total per capita emissions for apartment households varied considerably but, on average, exceeded those of both the inner and outer suburban households. This resulted from lower occupancy rates and higher emissions arising from higher dwelling operational and embodied energy consumption. Overall, it cannot be assumed that centralised, higher density living will deliver per capita emission reductions for residents, once the combined per capita life cycle emissions from housing and transport have been accounted for"

Those who would have us living in a high rise supposedly green utopia are misguided at best and likely blinded by ideology. As if an even medium sized city like Dublin has no footprint rurally through farming or mining. Double the density of Dublin and those footprints double. All you end up doing is halving the space live in day to day.

Farms require roads, electricity, communications. All the infrastructure is already there and must be maintained for farming regardless of who lives rurally. Sewerage is septic rurally so the government doesnt provide that. Other services are feck all.

The Australian carbon consumption atlas, prepared for the Australian Conservation Foundation by Chris Dey of the University of Sydney and colleagues, provides a striking illustration of this pattern.

Their work shows the highest per capita residential environmental consumption occurs in the higher density inner urban areas of Australian cities. The 37 tonnes of total CO₂ consumed per person each year by downtown Sydney residents is, for example, more than double the 16 tonnes produced by residents of Blacktown. There’s a carbon devil in the detail on density.

Such findings fundamentally confound the simple “high density good, low density bad” assumptions in current debates. High-rise apartments are far less of a solution to our urban environmental challenges than the prevailing consensus suggest

https://theconversation.com/the-carbon-devil-in-the-detail-on-urban-density-4226

According to some recent studies in Australia, the carbon footprint of high-rise urban residents is higher than that of medium- and low-density suburban homes, due to such things as the cost of heating common areas, including parking garages, and the highly consumptive lifestyles of more affluent urbanites.

most of our environmental impact is not from the land, water, and power that we pay for directly, and the emissions that result. Most of our footprint is from the land, water, power, and emissions associated with the creation and transportation of things we consume. Most of our transport costs and impacts, for example, are for moving things that we buy, not for moving ourselves. This does mean that those of us who are focused on personal transportation choices are affecting a small slice of the pie.

https://humantransit.org/2010/03/does-highdensity-life-have-a-bigger-ecological-footprint-and-why.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

No idea? am I supposed to know

Not sure what this has to do with the green agenda?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in that pie chart above, they are claiming that clothing seems to have twice the footprint that transport does? and that restaurants are significantly greater in impact than household and transport combined?

books and magazines nearly as much of an impact as transport too...

i'd love to see their methodology.

• Advertisement

also from one of the articles cited (https://theconversation.com/the-carbon-devil-in-the-detail-on-urban-density-4226), the author suggests

So how dense should we be? One possibility is a mid-level suburbanism. Focused nodes of three to six storey development – terraces, walk-ups and low-rise apartments

so his solution would certainly be considered high density in ireland. and he also has this to say:

More single, detached dwellings in low density estates at the suburban fringe also causes harms. These range from the destruction of bio-diverse habitats to the social isolation of new residents from work and services. My own work on household oil vulnerability clearly reveals the future perils from higher fuel prices already planned into the fabric of many of our car-dependent fringe suburban zones.

regarding his point about downtown sydney dwellers having a higher carbon footprint than blacktown dwellers, i've seen reference to studies which found that a massive factor in these findings is due to wealth (well, consumption); that you should really only compare areas of similar wealth, it's not valid to compare a high value, high earning part of a city with a poorer area somewhere rural. i'll see if i can find it (IIRC it may have been a new scientist article i read it in)

Advertisement