Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Yes and excellent plan and finally connected to mainland Europe. Now we should be looking at how we can use wind power and other renewables to generate excess power to sell into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

we have astonishing potential in regards off shore wind, we just have to get the finger, and cheque books out!

As I said previously on this thread, mainstream in the early 2000's had plans for what to do if Ireland got connected into Europe. We are nearly 20 years on and not really moved forward. It is time to progress and progress quickly.

It was interesting, I was talking to a construction exec recently and he was not very happy with the Green Party, I mentioned nothing but he was saying how it was unbelievable that offices/DC's etc are been built without solar panels been put on the roof. Now this is not a guy I would call any sort of environmentalist, I would have said the opposite.

He wants planning laws changed so that if any new office/business etc is built they have to put solar panels across the entire roof, without them planning should be rejected. So interesting that everyone is now starting to see the issues. He was blaming the greens for not making these changes since they got into government.

yea tis a bit bizarre to see all of this, but i can understand the backlash the greens get, theyre fairly typical lefties, we re a bit wooly at times, with all sorts of ideas, but no direct proposals in how to implement them, and you can be damn sure the typical approach of loading people with more debt and taxes, most certainly wont work! but at least we are finally getting a move on with this stuff, its about time....

Well the point of the guy I was talking to was that installation of solar panels at building phase, especially for offices etc is not huge when compared to the overall building cost. Retro fit is a lot higher. If installed on offices etc it will help remove the office electricity requirements during the day etc. Plus if offices then it's not costing the regular punter but could reduce electricity cost

Like my solar started at 6 yesterday morning and finished at 9 last night.....

The Greens will always get the blame to be honest, when I mentioned other parties in government he just laughed and said they wouldn't change the reg

• Advertisement

...but again, state supports in particular state financial supports, is a critical element of getting this done quickly, we all know building has become astonishingly expensive now, everyone, including businesses, require state supports to get the job done quickly, or it simply wont happen, and we ll be left with even more expensive solutions such as retrofitting, this is still failing at policy level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Considering they were your own comments which contained those bizarre claims about dinosaurs and the Russians bombing the LNG terminal amongst many others, its certainly bizarre that you would then try to point the finger at others and make snide comments about "remembering a discussion". But no matter

Perhaps more importantly its worth pointing out that the thread certainly has gone straight down the pipe hole with nonstop downright dishonest claims and general disinformation posted amounting to little more than a complete out of context smear campaign against a listed company and apparently for the sole reason that the company involved are currently working towards realising new sources of natural gas.

No one expects uncompromising greens to be fans of fossil fuels, but the shitethrowing and absolute hatchet attack on what is a listed company is beyond all normal levels of discussion

And all that despite it being widely accepted that Ireland requires a range of safe, secure and reliable sources for non renewables in the period to transition to renewable energy generation. And even though the potential to supply at least a proportion of those requirements will help Ireland achieve its move towards renewables. But no lets just throw shite and then go on the attack at those who point those uncomfortable truths out 🙄

I have to say if anyone wished to present a whole host of reasons why people should neither support nor trust green ideation or indeed the policies discussed here, then the comments in this thread alone would be enough to have done a brilliant job.

👍

No dishonest claim so stop lying on every post

A the information I provided was backed up. The only dishonestly was you trying to make out the share price for the company behind Barryroe was tanked as it is and has been for years now

Not if you can stop lying about me that would be great, thanks

You do seem to have a handy habit of accusing others you don't agree with of "lying".

But yes there has been lots of disinformation and dishonest claims and they have already been called out. And btw I'm talking about the thread in general. So you can get drop the faux outrage.

But if you disagree perhaps you could show the backup for your own claims about Russia bombing the Kerry Shannon LNG plant or indeed that there weren't enough dead dinosaurs of the Irish coast amongst other things including your bizarre denial that recent stock market activity does show that providence share prices are indeed rising.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

i can understand the backlash the greens get, theyre fairly typical lefties, we re a bit wooly at times, with all sorts of ideas, but no direct proposals in how to implement them, and you can be damn sure the typical approach of loading people with more debt and taxes, most certainly wont work! 

I think you hit the nail on the head there, with what's been posted on this thread to date very much reiterating what you've said.

And what's been achieved so far has been achieved ironically not because of the greens, but inspite of them. What's for certain is that the greens won't be getting elected in the next election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

With respect, that is a potentially disastrous strategy. Like the town planners who built massive suburbs and sure said, the amenities will follow afterwards.

Where is this pumped storage going to be? You need elevation for that.

And where is all this dirty lithium mining to be done.

Green Tech may turn out to be just as dirty and damaging to the environment as what it hopes to replace. Replacing one set of master for another.

Yes because all the batteries in phones/laptop etc don't use lithium.

Have you anything to back up how "Green Tech may be just as dirty"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Pumped storage, the next one is at Silvermines, supposed to be going into planning shortly. I've no details on others yet

Lithium batteries are not the only battery type, many others, more suited to large, grid scale storage, are in development. Some will be viable, some will not, but there's billions being put into the r&d of these around the globe.

Storage is a nut that is not for cracking today, it'll be a task for 2030-2050.

America, Canada, Australia, Wicklow.

Lithium is far more abundant then you give it credit for.

Green Tech may turn out to be just as dirty and damaging to the environment as what it hopes to replace. Replacing one set of master for another.

It's certainly a big issue and one that is largely unaddressed imho.

Don't know if you've read the book Bright Green lies which was made into a documentary as well. Whilst I think not all if its conclusions are correct - its an interesting and informative read

Some of our own "Bright Green Lies" include continuing to buy cheap renewable technologies such as solar panels and wind turbines made in China using coal fired powered Electricity and ignoring the consequences of that.

Being happy to import natural gas from other countries but refusing to acknowledge or accept we can continue to provide for the period required to transition to renewables at least a proportion of that need.

Blocking essential LNG facilities that would help provide additional sources of natural gas.

Refusing to acknowledge that new smaller scale nuclear has a potential role to play in a low carbon economy, but fine with buying Electricity from other countries that generate their Electricity via nuclear power.

The stench of hypocrisy from some of the green movement can often be overwhelming tbh.

While I acknowledge that no energy source is without impact, its impossible to take seriously some of the faux concern from some who raise this while at the same time advocate for continuing usage of fossil fuels.

That sounds like you're having a go at posters you don't agree with Daco?

But as you've called that- Let me try answer that one

As you must know at this stage Ireland requires a range of safe secure and reliable sources of non renewables in the period of transition to renewable energy generation. If you don't, I can only presume you haven't read the comments on this thread. So yes in that sense both the green party (believe it or not) and many others agree that some fossil fuels will need to continue to be used. Advocating for that does not mean that any concern for the environment is "faux"

So not is it only possible support the use of our own natural resources but also to acknowledge many of the significant issues of some green technology.

That's about it.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Advertisement

It is laughable how every discussion on the web its the same faux news story that are fired up as if nobody has ever seen before.

Debunked thousands of times but fired out ad nauseam

People complaining about batteries while posting from a laptop/phone with a battery in it and in reality built in China at the lowest cost possible and they are the reason for unethical supply of components

Is it? Tbh thats sounds more like one of those things you read on a facebook page

I would say it's possibly more correct to say that topics which some don't wish to be discussed are being labelled "faux news". I think Putin tried some similar recently

It would be just as easy (and just as silly) to point to those giving out about others, but who themselves are using Chinese laptops (with batteries) powered by solar electricity powered from cheap solar panels also imported from China. 🤷‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - So anyway, Green policies destroying the country...

Keep this thread on topic and stop having a go at each other constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 1 asimp2kids

I could not agree more with the comments. Please please find one accurate argument on the immediate effect of climate change and send to me asimp2kids@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Pumped storage... Expensive and geographically restricted .. but We're looking at entirely artificial islands being constructed to generate renewable electricity

Given that these are already being constructed, it should be quite easy to put some sea floor pumps that can pull water into a reservoir in the artificial island for use as a battery

The point is that megaprojects are required, but they're already being planned and financed

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

He was on rte radio talking about how the planning system needed to be changed to get the windmills built. Absolute bias to want to puke 100's of steel, concrete and fibreglass, construction sites into marine habitats when he won't even approve one for a gas rig

When the inevitable companies go bankrupt after the government tit is withdrawn who pays to save and remediate these habitats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

Thank you for admitting there is no plan and it's all smoke and diarrhoea

The planning changes are being done across the EU to speed up the delivery of renewables, 100%.

However, the devil is in the details. Basically they are looking to bring it from 10 year process to a 1 year process, without removing any rights from citizens. 

Firstly, an idea was floated by the Housing Minister for reforms which basically would have massively contravened Aarhaus and so would have been struck down by the courts as his attempt to speed up things was by stripping away rights to appeal, access to justice, access to environmental data etc.

Once that was quashed they came back with what is actually needed to speed things up.

1. Adequate resourcing of the relevant bodies by people with the appropriate skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications. Literally every facet of the system has been short staffed for decades. This has started with increased funding for ABP to hire a raft of experts in various fields.

2. Drafting and implementing planning requirements/legislation specific to the likes of offshore wind. This is already in place for the likes of oil and gas but wasn't there for wind. This clarifies the requirements for all parties. The MAC system has been launched as the pre-cursor to this.

3. Updating the planning legislation to ensure that its fit for purpose. This more applies to on-land development but covers literally everything on land, not just renewables. They're consolidating all the many planning acts, ammendments etc into a single document to bring some level of coherence to it. This is being done as it was often pointed out that it was difficult to understand what all of the many requirements were as they were spread across so many pieces of legislation.

4. The creation of a special court to handle only planning and environmental cases.

5. A new requirement for a pre-assessment of appeals by judges to determine whether the appeal is frivolous or likely to succeed / answer a relevant legal question.

Etc

• Advertisement

If you're going to start silly 1+1=3 level nonsense then I'll simply stick you in the ignore list. If you wish to discuss rationally, happy to continue

Advertisement