Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

No no. Does mr Ryan not have to approve the licence. Nothing to do with ABP. Seems very nit picky to me.

What licence application is that? Do you have details? Asking because I'm not familiar with what you're referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It feeds directly into their self-superiority complex. They log on to Ryanair to book a flight and "tick" the clever box that says you can offset your carbon footprint by paying something like €2 on top of the price of an average haul to London. They have grandiose visions in their heads that the extra €2 they shelled out is being used by Michael O'Leary personally to plant a row of native trees in some boggy field up in northwest Leitrim.

When the engines roar as they zip down the runway and up up and away it's soon forgotten as they ponder about how many selfies they'll take in front of Big Ben for the Insta. They'll be back Sunday night and by Tuesday they'll be sharing articles on Insta about how man-kind is killing the planet. I've seen this pattern...

Every. Single. Time.

• Advertisement

Bhutan is gonna take a big CO2 hit at some stage 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Borrow a bike and pedal the rest of the way, problem solved. I`m amazed Ryan has not come up with it as a solution. It`s no more off the wall than some he has come out with

I can well imagine that the EU parliament voting to reject a motion to oppose inclusion of natural gas and nuclear as environmentally sustainable economic activities under the European Commission`s Taxonomy Delegated Act giving you a shock, but I didn`t imagine it had caused amnesia. The Irish Green Party has proposed legislation to ban LNG and some of their supporters believing they should bring down the government if they do not get their way. Not much point in a private company building a LNG terminal if LNG is banned.

Eh? What does a gas exploration licence have to do with a LNG terminal?

The LNG terminal in Shannon is being done by a different company.

I'm guessing you are referring to the Providence licence for Barryroe? It's not a gas exploration licence they are going for, it's for further test drills to confirm the financial viability of the area. They are also not particularly keen on extracting the gas and only have plans for the extraction of oil. They *might* extract the gas at some point, maybe, but there's so little there it may not be financially viable, this is from their own investor reports available on their site, feel free to verify for yourself. But yeah, that licence application is with Ryan's dept for approval, I'll grant you that, but it has nothing to do with the LNG terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The same Green Party which are actively delaying a decision on the licence for barryroe……….

• Advertisement

Yeah they are waiting on your mate ER to make a decision:

Providence Resources, the Irish oil exploration company, hopes to receive a crucial licence from the government in the next 90 days so it can drill an appraisal well in the Barryroe oil field

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

My mate? Sorry, but I have never even voted once for any member of the GP.

You don't need to be a GP supporter to be concerned about the environment

Get outdoors much!

It`s been a cold miserable Summer and Spring was nothing to write about either. Grand mild Winter though.

The Government of Ireland is an amalgamation of three parties, FF, FG and the Green Party and the greens are the smallest party at the table. When the government acts all three parties have agreed on the decision. What is it that the turf sniffing, coal burning and oil pumping crew don’t understand about that fact, maybe it’s the core concept 🤷‍♂️

Why didn’t providence get their license for red herring harvesting before the 2020 election is it because red herring don’t exist in barryroe.

Banana and da cor you guys crack me up!

You’ve been on here defending the greens and they’re mostly crazy policies since day one.

Now that more and more people have come to the realisation that green policies around the world will in fact turn the lights off, your telling us it is in fact FF and FG who are to blame as they’re the big parties in power!! 😂😂

Charlatans the pair of ya.

In which posts have I defended the Green Party. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So you think scientists etc are just making stuff up so they can take your money is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Wait till about end of november when turf will be reclassified as green renewable fuel. Right after we will be cut off off French nuclear and there will be no more gas coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,873 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wouldn’t say they are destroying the country, but I do think the greens and others don’t seem to understand that while most people want to protect the planet, the way it’s been presented won’t bring people along. I mean it appears that it’s all or nothing(and not just on green issues) and feck it if people are inconvenienced by it. I mean that situation with households in the midlands where they burn turf as they sole source of heat, and in fairness you’d think those small number of houses was all that was holding us back, which was just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Shoog

You don't believe in taking personal responsibility then. If everyone took your attitude then no one would do anything to avoid catastrophic climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

They are getting annihilated at the next election. They've become as relevant as a the local drunk in the bar telling a group of young ones about when he was growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The climates being changing for millions of years. The arrogance of the human race to think they can stop that with a few electric cars and higher taxes 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Shoog

Now you just deny anthropogenic climate change. I see you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I certainly do believe in personal responsibility as far as keeping my "carbon footprint" low, the problem remains a large chunk of humanity who don't and won't as they look to build the consumer societies we're used to. And I can understand them wanting to.

There's snake oil all over the place Ceeview and the more divisive the topic, the more is produced on both sides to counter the other and we tend to want to only swallow the snake oil we already believe in. So on one side we have the media screaming about climate change, well it used to be global warming, but they moved away from that, like they did global cooling which was a thing 30 years ago when another ice age was coming!.. Add in a more recent interwebs driven need for information all the time driven by human nature and marketing which had tended to make us ever more panicky. So we have Red weather warnings!! for two days of warm weather in Ireland that's the same as a nice day in June in the south of France and their world doesn't end.

On the other we have the "ah well the earth's climate has always changed!" and "it was hotter/colder in the past!" and "natural cycles!" etc. All true BTW but just as simplistic as we're doomed because the mercury nudges 30 degrees in Ireland. Yep it was hotter, often much hotter on earth in the past, especially the distant past. Our world has been "alien" many times in the past. If you had a time machine it could come as a shock. Before around the carboniferous period(where coal mostly comes from) you would have needed to wear an oxygen tank to walk around. In the permian you'd need some way to cool down as the planet was becoming a furnace and by the end of the permian you'd be lucky to last a few days as you watched the biggest mass extinction in the history of this planet, which made the dinosaurs dying out look like a picnic. As for dinosaurs; Jurassic park could never happen. The planet is too cold now and doesn't have enough oxygen to support them. Land masses were very different, as were ocean currents and weather cycles. The earth cooled down a lot after their extinction, land masses shifted around and ocean currents changed. Closer to now we then got into ice age cycles and the like.

On that front; one reason some thought an ice age was coming was because we're overdue one. On the natural cycles of the last couple of hundred thousand years interglacials(what we're living in now) lasted about 10-12,000 years so we're overdue woolly mammoths. It does look like human influence on climate has staved that off. The agricultural revolution where we cut down and burnt forests and planted crops and caused farmland and open plains to take over seems to have nudged the cycle enough.

The other problem with natural cycles as a simple explanation is a) yes they occurred but were generally slow to cycle and b) when they weren't the environment changed rapidly and extinctions kicked off. Ice ages again an example of that. They were far more rapid in onset than once believed. From mild and warm to ahh jaysus it's baltic in a couple of decades, well within a human lifetime. So let's look at CO2 levels in the holocene(basically the bit from growing oats, spuds an' that to today).

You can see a notable rise at the start and up and down variations and a very slow rise overall. Then we get to the industrial revolution and we see a very clear and very rapid spike upwards. Now it's not a lot, about 50 odd PPM, but that spike is undeniable. If we look at temperatures over the same time again we will see natural up and down variations, some quite wild, but overall the trend is upwards and again spikes upwards in the largest shift for millenia over the last century or so. The other thing about natural variations in the past was they tended to be much more local, not global. EG the Roman and medieval warm periods were much more evident in Europe than in Asia, Africa or the Americas. In the latter their el Nino could cause horrendous swings, some caused local civilisations to fall, but weren't noticed much if at all in Europe. Then we have massive volcanic erruptions which can cause all sorts of mayhem, local and global.

TL;DR? yes we had swings in CO2 and temperature in the past, but the recent swing upwards in both has been more rapid and more global and almost certainly as a result of human action. What this means in the medium and longterm and how we deal with it are other matters, but to deny that is up there with flat earthism.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I am not a climate change denier, but I do believe there is a big con at play and that is that personal responsibility is not going to change anything. Even if every single person in Ireland were absolute angels and followed the green rule book 100% it would make absolutely no difference at all.

The big corporations have successfully relinquished all responsibility and made climate change all about individual responsibility.

We have been manipulated into feeling guilty for something we genuinely have no control over.

Similarly, buying paper straws is not going to save the oceans.

We are only recently now starting to see a move towards making large polluting corporations responsible. I read an article recently about a South american farmer suing an oil company (that isn't even based in the same country) for their role in polluting the planet and contributing towards the constant flooding of this local village. He is suing to fund the costs of building flood defences. The amount he is suing for is based on the % amount of co2 they contribute to the atmosphere. His legal challenge has only recently been made possible by the Paris agreement.

We are only now at the very, very start of holding those who are truly responsible to account.

I look forward to drinking my drink with a proper straw one day that does not disintegrate before I've finished my drink.

To add one more thing, by complying and accepting personal responsibility we are actually prolonging climate change by allowing the polluting mega companies to continue to get away with it Scott free.

The Greens would do well to stop pushing this guilt trip on people and taxing people for everyday unavoidable things such as using cars and electricity. They need to grow a pair and take legal action against the mega polluters of the planet. They now have the tools at their disposal to do this.

Advertisement