Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭dmakc

You really are in the looniest cohort of loonies.

People must conform to 1 kid maximum. Bicycle in and out of work whether it's hail, snow, regardless if they're in D1 or Cahersiveen. Stopping rural housing by herding everyone into a town. Stop buying clothes. We're going to burn to death. Stop consuming animal products etc, etc.

How many livelihoods would you like to see decimated?

Report this week that a 30% herd reduction loses 60,000 jobs in Ireland. Are all these green taxes to support the increase in dole? You're alright Jack...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

That’s a long drive for a pat on the back.

Sure, she can party with Greta that’s also having a nice foreign holiday. We can all go on foreign holidays as long as we are protesting. Let’s all go protest climate change in Ibiza.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I remember when conferences were held in cool places, places people wanted to see.

Glasgow!!

Nah she takes fancy racing yachts.

Except no one ever questioned how much carbon or oil based polymers and plastics was used to build that composite yacht.

It is like those famours types lecturing the rest of us on driving electric cars, whilst they speed around in lastest top of the range Tesla with half a ton of battries on board (with a fair chuink or rare earth minerals) and made with a half a ton of plastic.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 14,891 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's a fair description of PR, stating the obvious but to a lot of people.

Anyway she only left today so we'll have to wait to see the outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Let's be real here, we get more wrong than we get right. Particularly in terms of Infra and Public Services

Don't get me wrong, there are very clever "trust worthy" people in the country, but they all end up working for the multi nationals and/or start their own successful businesses.

But when you live in a country where you have to explain the concept of "It's/That's grand" to Americans and what not, it does raise an eye brow or two

Foreigners all think Ireland is great mind you, I suppose that's one thing we have going for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

This may come as a surprise to you but our electrical utility company is one of the best in the world with contracts in many countries to help develop and maintain their grid infrastructure. The problem they have faced over the past number of years is government interference in policy which means ever increasing prices coupled with a less secure supply due to pivoting to renewable at a rate that isn't sustainable yet.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Could they have not done this on zoom or Microsoft teams etc... Seems they like to lecture and tax the little guy into a crappier life whilst they jet around the world and get transported in fleets of limos. If you are going to guilt trip the entire western world maybe they should start by leading by example if it's such a big issue as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are times when you need to be in the room or need immediate access to a range of people. This is one of those times.

Holding arguably the most important meeting that there has ever been by zoom? Are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Doesn't have to be zoom, there are better systems available and I'd imagine have a significantly better environmental impact

• Registered Users Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think they are serious yes. It's so predictable. The usual anti every kind of change brigade are out with the same bullsh*t. The most important people in the world are gathering in person to discuss the greatest existential threat ever facing mankind. But yes they flew there in airplanes so that invalidates the whole thing. It's just so childish at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Not much point in having the most important people in the world when the biggest polluters in the world are not attending, don't you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Personally I would rather them have as effective a meeting as possible given the seriousness of the situation. I’m not into virtue signalling

But that’s just me

I wonder if these are electric vehicles? Could they not have travelled altogether on a coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

That's probably just Bidens convoy alone, saying that it looks a bit on the small side for him, he had 85 SUV's and cars in Rome so I douth he downsized for Glasgow.

It is just Biden’s motorcade. But all those people in all those vehicles are part of his team. If they were all on Air Force One with each other, why the fook can they all get on a coach together? That goes for every leader and entourage at this summit. PARK AND RIDE PEOPLE!

Maybe if virtue signalling is strong enough it can reverse climate change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Quite sickening to watch the telly and see the COP26 leaders together. A bunch of old, multimillionaires all coming together to decide how to push more and more into poverty and reduce our quality of life when their lives will be unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

What do you suggest we do to stop the growth, growth, growth? Maybe take our plastic bag for life and smother our children with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

COP26 is another way our government can sign up to an agreement to make themselves look good but with targets we know we won't reach. And of course the fines for not reaching such targets will come out of our pockets.

What do you think the Carbon Taxes are? The Europe 2020 fines came to around €600million. Who do you think pays for this €600 million? Services are cut, taxes increased, all to service fines that we as a public never signed up to. For agreements that were made just to make Politician A look good in front of his international peers.

There's nothing wrong with the targets. But why do we need fines? Surely if your people are passionate about it and you miss your targets, the elections will hold you accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If you were worried about climate change, you wouldn't have children in the first place. You'd stop at "child", if you had any at all. Overcrowding is another form of your "growth, growth, growth" and is as big a problem as fast fashion but no one seems to want to point at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Only having one child would certainly help slow down climate change but would fcuk us all from a pensions point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,891 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The job of the Secret Service is to get JB and his people to and from the events they need to attend safely and get them home in one piece.

They decide the best strategy to achieve that.

It's far from environment friendly and not likely to change anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Of course, there should be tax on EVs inc carbon taxes. Plenty of carbon emissions from their construction and generating electricity to run them. Maybe less than petrol/ diesel but they still have a substantial carbon footprint. There's no free lunch. Then there's the troublesome, dirty business of lithium mining and disposal of old worn out lithium batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There was a guy at COP26 saying that disabled people suffer 'disproportionately' from CC. Erm, I would have though that disabled people benefit most from industrialization especially due to contemporary modes of travel. I mean if your're in a wheelchair you can hardly cycle anywhere and there's no end of technology and medicines that they have benefited from. Apparently the medicine production industry is being targeted as well, and I guess that would include physical aids as well. They have to be made out of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

there are no technological solutions to us continuing to live the way we do, none. We need to consume less, waste less, have less stuff etc. The world is finite.

Also what are these techs "greens" are opposed to? Nuclear I suppose? I know in Finland the Greens are now not against nuclear, it'll probably happen elsewhere, either way Ireland wont be getting a nuclear plant anytime this century, but we do import nuclear energy from UK and France already.

We should be looking at how to live our lives in ways that use less power, not making power plants to carry on as is or enabling us to consume more and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When has the world ever come together to fix a problem, where 'everyone has to do their bit', to fix the problem.

I'm make an analogy with the obesity crisis.

To address the obesity crisis, 90% of people would have to do the following; completely cut out the everyday consumption of, burgers, chips, pizza, fizzy drinks, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, cake, bread, all manner of take aways, processed foods etc.

If 'everyone were to do their bit' in that regard, this would completely decimate all the take aways in the country, and put the confectionery business out of businesses, almost. No more several burger/fast food joints in every town, whole aisles of sweet products gone from supermarkets, and so on.

But if this were to happen then those that changed their diet would see a tangible benefit to themselves in 6 months, so there is a relatively immediate benefit.

Now compare that to what is being proposed in regards CC.

People are being asked to change the way they live their lives, in a way that I think is even harder than changing your diet, without any immediate tangible benefit, only the prediction that in 20 years time the weather won't be quite so bad or get any worse than it is today.

On an individual level one's personal health is much important to one than the environmental quality of life of people in the distant future, but even then people won't do their 'bit' to address their own health issues.

So, what hope in hell do we really have to expect general society to all band together and change the way they live their lives to change the weather in the future. Net Zero I'd say.

Advertisement