Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Make up your mind you can’t critise something one day and then turn around another and use what you discredited in a rebuttal to discredit something else. 🙄

What you have done yet again is pull down your trousers and piss out a response to article that you have not read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Presumptions are the mother of all fxxkups. I did read the article. VW are confident they'll win in early 2023.

Massive increase in Vermilions profits this year and that’s before the war in Ukraine. their the ones operating Corrib.

Fossil fools here say pump or own gas and all will be well 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

That would be due to an Energy regulator that just rubber stamps price increases when asked.

• Advertisement

So if as you the regulator is just a industry pigeon why were the crew here putting so much fate in her calls for more gas terminals to be built.

JFK announced that we are going to put men on the moon and shur nobody knew how to do that when he said it.

Can be dealt with via legislation. EU is working on Energy pricing as we speak.

Ya I see that and its about time but really that wasn’t my question was it🤔

The crew here were screaming blue murder that nobody was acting in what the regulator said about Ireland needing to build more gas terminals. Yet you just said in your post earlier that the regulator is effectively an industry yes man giving the suppliers price increases when they ask.

Isnt there a conflict of interest there in your mind. 🤔

@xxxxxxl said “That would be due to an Energy regulator that just rubber stamps price increases when asked.”

ABP not issuing planning. Also the Energy regulator need reeling in the gov in that case will need to legislate or fall afoul of EU energy policy. We are already outside the EU norm on price.

• Advertisement

Again your either inadvertently or deliberately not getting my point. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This what was said about gas storage in 2019 in the Dail, ER spoke, worth reading below

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2019-10-03/18/

When this project was originally put forward in 2008 it was not opposed. We lived in a completely different world then. It was in the middle of a Russia-Europe gas crisis when people across eastern Europe were freezing in their apartments after the gas supply had been cut off. Fracked gas was only in its infancy at the time and we did not have renewable power supplies at the cost competitive rates that are available now. Since then, everything has changed and the Department and Minister must now change their position. The first change was that the European Union responded to the Russia-Europe gas crisis by improving its systems of energy security to ensure gas will flow across the European Union efficiently and securely given the risk that Russian gas supplies will be cut off.

The Minister said that Britain's exit from the EU might increase risk. Our gas supply comes through Northern Ireland and I cannot see any possibility in any type of Brexit of that gas flow being shut off. One area of agreement across all the Brexit talks is that we will maintain an all-Ireland energy market and the energy links between the UK and the rest of Europe. The UK is also exposed because its security of supply depends on gas imports from the Continent. For this reason, I do not buy the argument on security.

Having observed the proposed LNG project over the years, I understood that it was dead in the water years ago because there is no economic case for it. I recall that the regulator made various calls related to the allocation of costs for the gas grid network which effectively scuppered the project. Nothing has changed in that regard. The only potential change is in respect of the only other project Ireland has on the projects of common interest list, namely, the reverse flow on the Moffat interconnector. In that case, it is important to listen to the European Agency for the Cooperation of Energy Regulators in Europe, ACER, which stated that there had not been a clear cost-benefit analysis done on the project and that the calculations for it had not been explained. That project should not go ahead. Without that project and without change in the Department or the regulatory position whereby the full cost of the grid will not be applied to this terminal, the project will not proceed on economic and environmental grounds.

On a radio programme this morning, a gas industry representative spoke about the opportunities presented by carbon storage. Back in the day, we did a very detailed assessment of the storage potential near the Shannon Estuary. After very detailed analysis by the Geological Survey of Ireland was that we do not have any storage location in the area. Contrary to what the gas executive said today, the economics of carbon capture and storage are completely unproven and the process would cost much more any alternative cost system we could get from developing offshore wind or solar power. There are other ways that we could provide storage and security. The development of hydrogen using electrolysis from wind power to turn into stored hydrogen will probably be how things will develop. Moreover, as the Minister noted, we will have Corrib gas coming in for the next ten or 15 years, which gives us time to make the switch and invest in the renewable zero carbon future.

We cannot bet on or invest in gas. There is already a massive oversupply and an overextension of the numbers of new applications for LNG terminals and pipelines in Europe, which if they are all built and used, will completely blow the European climate plans and budget.

This is key issue in Brussels. There are real issues as to whether the European Investment Bank, EIB, will fund this kind of gas infrastructure. I hope that the Minister's Department and this Government, contrary to the rumours I hear, will take a position within the European Union and say that we will take the money out of that sort of fossil fuel investment and we will keep it in the ground and develop the alternative renewable supply, which is the only secure, safe and safe for the planet energy system we should turn to. We should stop this project in its tracks. It makes no economic or any other sense.

ER 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

In another stunning example of Eamon Ryan asleep at the wheel, it turns out that Ireland is just one of two countries that failed to apply for EU funding to secure energy continuity. Luxembourg is the other country.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

The sooner we expand our off shore wind generation capacity, the better for consumers based on this which shows, based on current prices, off shore wind is 9 times cheaper than gas for the UK market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

What are you on about? I said exactly what I said before about prices eventually falling -- it's in post #14212 if you want to check: "There is enough NG globally to rebalance supply and demand, we just have a temporary import bottleneck."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The only EU country with a more highly paid public sector than Ireland is Luxembourg. The more you pay, the less you get.

You people really are desperate aren't you? As your article says: "(Update 24/08/2022: The article was updated with the latest power prices, which have risen significantly.)". Well of course it was 🤣. Not updated since, though, huh? That gas price will remain frozen in time forever in tiny Green minds. Here's the point where their clock stopped:

And here's that price spike in the broader context of the last two years:

The spike was 50 times the price in 2020. As I said before, if you want to put all your eggs in the basket of wind being cheaper than gas on one particular day in 2022, don't come crying when prices eventually fall again and wind is no longer competitive. Wind is a multiple of the price of historical energy costs which is a disaster for the economy regardless of its price relative to gas, not to even mention its intermittency. (And yes, of course, the current gas price is an even bigger disaster ... but, unlike wind, it's fixable).

Also, still no mention of why onshore wind power in Ireland is twice the cost (and rising) compared to offshore wind in the UK on which your article is based. Is the price of air higher in Ireland? 😏

I have already shown that offshore wind is at least twice as expensive as nuclear in the short term and around 5 times more expensive in the long term.

The sort of garbage you link to only looks at the cost while the renewable white elephant is producing energy, it doesn't take into account capacity factor and the costs of generating electrcity by other means to make up the difference.

Solar is indeed very cheap when the sun is shining - which is how these costs are computed, but the sun only shines here for 14.8% of the hours in a year.

With offshore wind, It's like recommending a cheap car that's a ninth the cost to run as another, but that will only start on 4 out of ten days you try to start it, forcing you to buy a second car that starts every time, but costs 9 times as much to run, which you drive the other 6 days. Your transport costs are not confined to just the 4 out of 10 days your cheap car starts.

"The first German Offshore Wind Park Alpha Ventus Offshore Wind Farm with a nameplate capacity of 60 MW cost €250 million (after an initial estimate of €190 million).[22] In 2012 it produced 268 Gigawatt-hours of electricity, achieving a capacity factor of just over 50%.[23] If the overnight cost is calculated for the nameplate capacity, it works out to €4167 per Kilowatt whereas if one takes into account the capacity factor, the figure needs to be roughly doubled."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Probably even higher margin of profit for renewable energy suppliers as they are getting paid the gas price.

• Advertisement

Your not even referring to your own posts correctly 🙄. If you click the link you’ll notice your responding to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Have you factored in the cost of needing to burn gas when the wind turbines aren’t producing?

If not- your only giving half the picture.

I'm sorry, but you have phrased your question using words containing more than one syllable. Please be more understanding of those with disabilities. Perhaps a cartoon with no text and just stick figures, then even Eamon could understand it?

Post edited by cnocbui on

Its like this was written specifically for the posters of this thread

Myths covered

• The climate has changed before and is always changing, therefore it’s all just part of a natural cycle.
    • There is no ‘consensus’ around global warming. Scientists are divided and nobody really knows what’s going on.
    • CO2 is plant food, it makes crops and trees grow, so it can’t be responsible for climate change.
    • Yes, climate change is real and serious, but it really won't affect me personally.
    • It’s too late to stop climate collapse, so why even bother trying?

Still won't convince some of the major pro-pollution folks though, oh well

Want to get pretty hot to turn half the earth into lava... Not really helping the argument with that.

"Its like this was written specifically for the posters of this thread. Myths covered ..."

I think you're talking about a climate-denying bogeyman you've conjured up in your own head. I can't speak for other posters but I am 100% on board with the fact the climate is warming.

What I'm interested in is: how much of the potential harm can be avoided and at what cost? How much very real and immediate harm will be caused by spending too much money on mitigation versus adaptation? What is the optimal trade-off of mitigation versus adaptation policies and how should future costs be discounted to a net present value? What technologies should we be promoting in place of renewables which have absolutely no chance of achieving climate aims but every chance of bankrupting us?

To take the most relevant example to us in this country: Ireland's extremely expensive mitigation strategy will, with absolute certainty, make zero (i.e. 0.0°C) difference to global warming. There is no value in it whatsoever. Nada. Zilch. The only explanation for the act of self harm being committed is puritanical zealotry on the part of Eamon Ryan and his acolytes. If they actually thought we were on our "last-gasp effort to avoid truly apocalyptic outcomes" as your article says, you'd think they'd be interested in policies that could actually work.

Please stop reading a refusal to submit to these dunderheads as climate change denial. Ryan's continual yakking on about a hydrogen economy by 2050 while actively sabotaging our current energy systems is the act of a man who has lost what little grip on reality he ever had. As I said, he is the most dangerous person in the country and possibly the stupidest to have ever served in an Irish government (and that's against plenty of stiff competition).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Jesus H Christ. Gibbons in that article sets off to "debunk" myths and after "Myth Claim 1" his first utterance is This is true.

Like listening to the drunk down the pub trying to conjure up a retort to something he heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

You keep plugging away I'll give you that.

Green party fanatics persist in trying to paint everyone in absolute terms such as climate change deniers and pro pollution to support their fantasies. No matter how many times its explained there has to be middle ground between nonsensical Green policy and destroying the economy they still refuse to hear it. Eamo Ryan's latest farcical suggestion is raise the price of electricity for businesses during peak times to "decrease power demand". He's off his head. I didnt know dairy farmers could just turn everything off during peak hours? Maybe they can just switch over to the night shift. Fvckin hell its lunacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Scientists have linked the Pakistan flooding to climate change

the Chinese heatwave/drought is almost certainly attributed to agw

Advertisement