Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Lightly. Lol Would love to see how far back and accurate they are recording in a country created in 1947 and the billions of people in china would have no bearing on the use of water. 🤪

There is never a happy median. Build green tech gradually underpin with reliable till something comes along. No it's the world is going to combust spend 60k on your gaf While the big players do jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm glad you find it funny, a normal person would find it sad and disturbing but as long as you're happy....

Happy median?

I suppose that's the bit of your post that makes the most sense....

Yes record keeping is funny or are you trying to say something else ? You do know Pakistan was part of India and India part of the British Empire Meteorological survey were not really a priority. Extracting resources was and exploitation.

• Advertisement

So you disagree with using current technology to underpin Green tech until something comes along ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

is it true eamon ryan cycles in and has all his files brought in via car?

I heard he has everything he cannot fit on his bike transported by gold plated unicorns powered by the disappointment of former GP members

That question makes no sense. I suspect your term 'current technology' is shorthand for 'gas' despite the existence of many many proven energy technologies that aren't 'gas'

You would think the Gov would be paperless now or very little paper. But judging by the crap that comes through the door prob not.

• Advertisement

Pick one and tell the rest of the class what one were going to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

That paper has more caveats than a barrister's opinion! However, the parts that leap out at me are:

The devastating impacts were also driven by the proximity of human settlements, infrastructure (homes, buildings, bridges), and agricultural land to flood plains, inadequate infrastructure, limited ex-ante risk reduction capacity, an outdated river management system, underlying vulnerabilities driven by high poverty rates and socioeconomic factors (e.g. gender, age, income, and education), and ongoing political and economic instability.

Both current conditions and the potential further increase in extreme peaks in rainfall over Pakistan in light of human-caused climate change, suggest that there is an urgent need to reduce vulnerability to extreme weather in Pakistan.

If you asked an affected Pakistani which would he prefer: wait for the world to spend $100 trillion on climate change mitigation attempting to return Pakistan to its pre-warming level of natural variability, or spend $100 million (a million times less) on improving flood controls and other adaptive measures ... which do you think he would pick? Which would save more lives?

Do you think Pakistan is suffering more from climate change or from being bastard poor. (Hint: GDP per capita is about 1.5% of Ireland's). What do you think they would do if offered a chance to boost their fortunes with extensive and reliable energy infrastructure?

What about the world's nearly one billion people without access to electricity and three billion without access to clean cooking fuels (which kills four million of them per year)? They're the reason energy use will double by 2050 without the remotest chance of renewables keeping up. Ireland's efforts serve no other purpose than to make Eamon Ryan feel good about himself.

I'll do that when you tell me what one single drug cures all illnesses

hahaha, Who would have thought. I wager one Drug curing all illnesses is impossible but cant see 1 million years into the future. Take a stab.

1 batteries various kinds all horrible for the Environment in manufacture and materials needing to be mined.

2 Gravity water storage. Flooding the Environment not a great way to save said Environment. Cant rem the actual name.

3 Solar. Prob is sun hardly shines here.

4 wind well that does not blow all the time needs a backup.

5 Fusion. Bit of a ways off that one.

5 Nuclear proven expensive. But well doable.

6 Hydrogen. Where to start.

7 Geothermal. No use in Ireland.

8 coal dirty but reliable.

9 Gas can be very green and reliable.

Could go on. Pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Likely increased somehow turned to "have linked" in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Dacor AGAIN I’ll ask:

Have you factored in the cost of needing to burn gas when the wind turbines aren’t producing? 

If not- your only giving half the picture.

(as other posters have pointed out I’m being generous with half!)

Also for the record I’ll state (again!) I recognise climate change- I don’t think there’s anyone on this thread who doesn’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't believe in Anthropogenic warming. Which is not to say I don't believe the planet might be warming due to natural causes.

So I don't mind being labeled a denier. My wife is a scientist and doesn't believe in AGW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s fair enough.

I said climate change- so I’m not saying everyone believes CC is caused by humans- just that it’s actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think this is going nowhere,

There is real disconnect between the two sides, when we should all be on  the one side.  I think the Greens are a bit like a child with ADHD, they will laser focus on one thing and everything else is a distraction to be pushed aside.

There is no denying that man’s industrial practices and our population explosion has caused the planet to get hotter. Yes there are natural warming and cooling cycles but they have always happened over 10,000’s of years not 300 as in our case.

We need to do something but the greens way, well its not very well thought out. Let's say for example we need 6000MW of power constantly throughout the day, the Green way is to have 6000MW of wind generation. That simply won’t work as wind isn’t constant, OK well add storage, but there isn’t a battery big enough to store a weeks worth of generation.  We will always need gas generation – Geens no you can’t have that.  OK well then we’ll ignore the greens and the problem never gets solved.

This needs to be turned on it’s head, instead of the Greens expecting everybody to work with them, they need to work with everybody else and listen to the problems and help find ways around them. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Planes flat out taking off and landing from the new runway two at Dublin airport last night and this morning.

As I said it’s the little man who gets hammered by the greens.

The big players get off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The green party are a joke in this country which is basically what this thread is about but of course some cant get their head past, thinking the green party are a joke must equate to being a climate change denier as posts above have proven.

Weren't you complaining early on that the language isn't scientific because it's too 'certain'

And here you are, when the scientists qualify their findings, ignoring the conclusions and jumping straight to the uncertainty.

The merchants of doubt - Basically emphasise all of the uncertainty and ignore the findings where despite the uncertainty, we can be confident that these events are linked to climate change driven by human activity

And your question you'd put to affected pakistani citizen is stupid. Its not a choice between adaptation or mitigation. Adaptation is a cost of failure to mitigate climate change. Rainfall intensity has already been increased by climate change, that adaptation cost is already a reality, but climate change is continuing to get worse, and if we don't reduce global emissions, then the costs of adaptation will continue to increase. at some point those costs will be too severe and people will abandon these lands and we'll have hundreds of millions of climate refugees (and the hundred million figure you mention is a ridiculous undercount of the costs to adapt to the flooding. You're comparing the total cost for the entire world to go carbon neutral, with a 100 million adaptation cost? That's ludicrous on multiple levels.

Why don't you ask that person a different question. 'Would you prefer the rest of the world spends what it takes to reduce their emissions, or for you to be turned into a displaced climate refugee?"

Your reference to the worlds poorest people using a tiny bit of energy to cook food to survive as an excuse for the richest people in the world to not spend money reducing our carbon emissions is pretty pathetic.

What 'natural causes' do you think are causing this warming?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well since I don't know what caused the Roman warm period, the one the first settlers in Ireland seem to have been in, evidenced by the Céide Fields site in Mayo, 6,000 years ago, or the Medieval warm period - which by the way, was global, and not just isolated to Europe - I don't really know. It could be just another one of those regular warming events or it could be the precursor to the next galciation event.

Glaciation events are presaged by very rapid rises in temperature and atmospheric CO2. Check. They also involve the slowing and stopping of the AMOC (Atlantic meridional overturning circulation) current, which has been slowing for at least a millenia, with the rate of decline accelerating around the mid 1800s. Check. The last indicator I am aware of is large icebergs breaking off Antarctica and drifting substantially further north than usual. An iceberg was spotted off the coast of NZ in the early 1900's and another was spotted a few years ago. If such icebergs become more frequent and numerous, then I think that would be the final clincher and 400 years from now it's going to get awfully cold again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Climate Change and human influences on it are a thing only not in the manner the green movement try to convince you. Humans changing the landscape through deforestation, increased and intensified agricultural practices, ever increasing amounts of urbanisation and suburbanisation are having effects on 2m temperature recordings.

The 2m temperature recordings I refer to is the height above the ground level on which a Stevenson's Screen sits and houses carefully calibrated mercury thermometers. You'll have many in the green movement try and convince you that Satellite temperature recordings taken from space are accurate. They are not and in my opinion are basically snake oil datasets - ditto for the automatic sensors employed more widely, often in very substandard locations and in miniature non-standard screens.

For example, here is the apparatus that recorded Europe's hottest temperature on record, 48.8c in Sicily during Summer 2021:

For folks not familiar with temperature recording equipment - the above sensor is in housing that is way too small and not only that, there is a large rectangular cut out in the side of the sensor which is also mounted a few inched above black metal bars. In addition there seems to be a fair amount of overgrowth and open road close to this sensor.

To summarise, this station's 48.8c recording should not be allowed with an asses roar of being considered an all-time continental record. But the main takeaway points are:

• The media will have already convinced many that 48.8c is now the official European heat record
    • Temperatures recorded in non-standard equipment are acceptable for some
    • Temperature records in the past are being wiped/disregarded as "it was not established if these recordings were made in standard equipment" (see Phoenix Park 33.4c in July 1886 or Markree Castle 33.3c in 1851).

What is happening to weather records is nothing short of bastardisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Your reference to the worlds poorest people using a tiny bit of energy to cook food to survive as an excuse for the richest people in the world to not spend money reducing our carbon emissions is pretty pathetic.

There are millions if not billions of poor people. All these "tiny bits" add up.

Please clarify how I'm a green party fanatic given I'm not a member nor have I ever voted for a GP candidate in any election.

Tell us more about this pollution filled utopia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

Pedantic cherry picking and ignoring the vast majority of posts they dont want to talk about. Another regular tactic on here.

• Advertisement

So do I have to sign something for the GP or do I just get a t shirt or what?

Still not sure how I'm in any way tied up with the GP in your mind.

You do understand that someone can be an environmentalist and have nothing to do with the GP.

In the same way one can be a Nationalist and want to see a 32 County country but have nothing to do with SF.

It's astounding that this still needs to be explained

Advertisement