Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Many modern combustion engined cars are so efficient and so filtered that they actually produce cleaner air than they take in in urban areas, so your rhetoric is a misplaced a bit there.

But granted, overall ICE vehicles aren't great, especially in the heavy commercial diesel sector and so the end of mass production of ICE by the end of the decade and its replacement with full electric or zero emission hydrogen fuel cell models for the vast majority of vehicle classes, must have you dancing with joy?

Likewise, a step-change in the propulsion of aircraft is coming, but it will take longer and so the reduction of emissions will have to be burdened onto the sectors that create the most; industry and energy generation and the neutralisation of housing stock both in new build and retrofit.

However if you think the genie of private personal transport and air travel for leisure, business and freight is going to be put back in the bottle, for ANY reason, I'd suggest you're delusional.

Humanity moves forward, not backwards and it is the innovation of solutions to the issues caused by human progress that is the raison d'etre of humanity itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I will quote a local Pakistani civilian

“Our irrigation departments are not in touch with locals, our environmental protection agencies are not in touch with locals, and the Balochistan disaster management authority is currently the most useless institution in the country. And while climate change is important in water policy and government discourse, I think the federal and provincial governments place a lot of blame on climate change and use it as a scapegoat for their own incompetence.source

Back in 1939, my local village got washed away. Lesson learned, most survived and rebuilt on higher ground. There is a reason in Ireland we don't recommend building in areas subject to flooding. We have also been modifying the landscape and improving drainage and building new housing estates which has meant that sometimes streams are covered over or filled in, surprise, it rains in Ireland, that water needs somewhere to go. It is very easy for politicians, engineers and county planners to absolve themselves and bleat "climate change", it does not change the fact we need to maintain the infrastructure to deal with this.

Build near a river, and surprised when it floods. The very name Corcaigh means area of marsh and guess what? they get floods. It's the same story across the country the infrastructure needs to be managed to prevent flooding damage, because in Ireland it rains!

Cork City has a long history of flooding. It has been estimated that the damages caused in the 2009 river flood and 2014 flood amounted to €90m and €40m respectively. 

The OPW, in conjunction with Cork City and County Councils, are now advancing the Lower Lee (Cork City) Flood Relief Scheme. The scheme will run from Inniscarra Dam to the City Centre, protecting over 2,100 properties, including 900 homes and 1,200 businesses, against tidal and river flooding. source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just to back you up on that, Lufthansa Technik have launched a project into hydrogen powered aero engines. Its a collaboration with universities in Hamburg and other institutions. As you say, humans progress, they don't go backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Would you grow up and step away from the computer games.

Utterly doomed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Lol.The only loop around today was the one you made to hang yourself with where your own source showed that the total CO2 missions for the 10 largest emitters in Ireland is just 5% of what Drax in the U.K., a supposedly green energy provider, is emitting. 😎

• Advertisement

This is frikkin awesome! The EU is tightening up even more on vehicle emissions and not just those from the ICE exhaust with the likes of particulate matter from brake pads and tyres coming under the EURO7 regulations so EV's wouldn't be exempt

Woohoo for cleaner air! 🥳🥳

By 2035, all cars and vans sold in the EU will have zero CO2-emissions.

However, the Commission says that by 2050 more than 20% of cars and vans, and more than half of heavier vehicles, will still emit pollutants from the tailpipe, while electric vehicles will still cause pollution from brakes and microplastics from tyres.

Particle limits will be tightened for lorries and buses while the lowest existing limits for cars and vans will apply regardless of the fuel used by the vehicle.

The new rules will also set emission limits for previously unregulated pollutants, such as nitrous oxide emissions from heavy-duty vehicles.

RTE news : EU proposes new emissions standard for road vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I look forward to receiving my free of charge zero emissions car from our government/ EU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I won’t be in a hurry to trade in my 300bhp twin turbo diesel for one of those meh cars 😆👍😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

The Allam cycle is forging ahead. The novel technology has received relatively little fanfare, possibly because Greenies despise the original sin of fossil fuel usage regardless of zero emissions. NET Power has been testing this for years, including putting energy on the grid for the first time a year ago from its 50 MW demonstration facility. Now it's going ahead with a 300 MW commercial gas-fired plant with 100% carbon capture. One of these is also planned for the Teesside industrial cluster in the UK and some midwestern states are investigating the possibilities for pulverised coal.

Did I mention that it's way more compact than traditional plant because of the tiny turbine driven by high density super-critical CO2, and can be produced in an air-cooled version requiring no cooling water? Wins all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

😂Did'nt read it did ya, its quite clear the Greens are still pushing wood pellet stoves through the abysmal retrofit scheme, wood pellets are neither sustainable or green, this mirrors the debacle Gormally presided over to encourage people to buy diesel cars.Feel sorry for householders who will be stuck with these pellet stoves.Relevant passage below.

"Grants for residential pellet burning heating systems are not available as an individual measure. However, grants for pellet burning stoves are available when included as part of a wider energy efficiency upgrade under the Community Energy Grant Scheme and the National Retrofit (One-stop-shop development) Scheme."

No chance of that, it will be easy for a few wealthy elite greenies and those that qualify for a free vehicle upgrade just like some are getting free housing retrofits at the moment, the rest of us will pay through the nose for it.Dont forget the EV grant is ending in July 23, greens feel most of their supporters and acolytes have availed of the scheme, so now is the time to end it and stick it to everyone else.

Post edited by kabakuyu on

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I totally agree. The earlier a totalitarian system is set up the better we ( i mean the Party) can establish (i mean control) the parameters ( i mean the people). All it really takes is a vanguard ( i mean black shirts) to make people agree ( i mean comply) with the agreed ( i mean enforced) best policies ( i mean ironclad rules backed by law) to reach Utopia.

You know, people like George Lee have pointed at the wonderful new ways we might do this. Isnt life great?!

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2022/1109/1335215-cop27/

That was probably the best link decor could have dumped here, just one of the 1100 coal power plants in China has more emissions than the top 10 emitters in Ireland, shows the futility of crippling our economy while China rampages ahead.

I really had to laugh when I used it for the U.K. for power companies emitting CO2 and Drax came up as number one with 107 million tonnes.

Embarrassing for Da Cor with him such a fan of throwing up E.U. wish lists for an emitter that according to the E.U. is carbon neutral which on it`s own, according to this new favourite site of his and George Lee`s, is emitting 20X times the emission of the top 10 Irish sites he listed using that site.

Somehow I don`t think the E.U. will be as enthusiastic on that sites as either Da or George Lee. It just shows the E.U up as massaging figures on renewable percentages. Even if that site is as much based on guesswork as anything else. .

Thats a very good article by George Lee now that you mention it

This young lady makes some very good points

Especially about educating on climate change, its impacts and what we can do to address it, right from the minute education starts right up to Phd levels

She's definitely on to something there.

That`s the same site that made a farce of your top ten Irish emitters when compared to our next door neighbours largest electricity generating plant which by E.U. regulations is carbon neutral.

Not that I pass much heed to George. He`s like a jackdaw chasing new shiny things. From what his campaign manager when he won a by-election said as the reason for him then giving up that seat after a few months, the scientific name for the jackdaw is even more apt.

If you are sitting down for a cup of tea for 10 minutes. You might give consideration to this video from the Galapagos islands where they drive diesel powered electric vehicles.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Take a look at this individual interviewed on Sky News. This is what the whole Greta nonsense is doing to some younger people, making them hysterical and some certifyably crazy. They genuinely seem to believe the world is about to end. What's being put in their heads is dangerous to them, will cause them big anxiety in their lives and affect their own prospects.

This is not worry, it's more an inflicted illness.

Jesus Christ. I’d say Sky had her on to deliberately undermine the whole thing.

Look back at the 1980s back when the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) and the women of Greenham common where the en vogue protest movement. They did not achieve anything, by the end of the 1980s the Soviet Union came down which wound down the threat, which is only recently being ramped up again from the Russian federation. You won't see the upper middle class twits from XR or just stop oil out camping in a field full of mud and drizzle in January. They are signalling to their peers, if they were not establishment, they would be sitting in jail today.

Meanwhile in Britain another problem is developing using smart meters. Poor people don't give a toss about "the science", they are trying to stay warm. That will be us someday.

Energy firms remotely swap homes to prepay meters

'Disconnection by the backdoor'

Once a smart meter is installed, it is a much simpler process for a supplier to swap the customer into prepay mode at the push of a button, rather than having to apply for a warrant and install a physical box.

Ofgem's rules state that energy companies must speak to customers before moving them on to a prepayment meter, but the regulator said it was concerned this was not always happening.

Suppliers may put customers on prepayment meters if they struggle to keep up with bills, arguing it helps them to control how much and how often they pay for energy.

Having read that i just wonder how i would approach that girl in a conversation. I don't think i'd be able to make her think about the limits of her thought processes and about the amount of indoctrination it presents and that that actually might harm a child instead of help. Helping children to find their way in the world by educating them HOW to think instead of WHAT to think. The concept is clearly alien to her and i wonder how she was educated herself. To learn about the limitations of one's thinking and that one day the opposite of a stated reality might present itself with different facts and viewpoints coming to your mind's surface. Instead we present our young ones with the Truth and indoctrinate them to become foot soldiers for other people's war aims. There is more than a whiff of the Jesuit spirit here. A pungent form of child abuse. The poor 'educator' has no idea of what she is doing. No understanding. Likely because she herself was poorly educated. She thinks she is doing the right thing and maybe she ought to be pitied for her ignorance. Such naivity. I blame the parents, the education system, social and broadstream media for this truelly systemic malady..a sad state of affairs. The Irish Examiner probably thinks this is all grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nail on the head.Young minds are highly impressionable.

A bastion of journalistic prowess and integrity there lol

Thanks for the article.Again, i blame the generation above it and the generation above that for the Greta Thunbergs of this world. They actually create child anxiety.Greta has moved from the climate to total anti-capitalistic communist talk now. This child's anxiety was never really about the climate but finding a worthy cause to hang her anxiety on which can be replaced by another. She was cheered on by Brendan o' Conor who interviewed her on his show on RTE last weekend. Im rather fond of Brendon's show and it is an indication how intelligent people become so easily swayed by all the alarmism which is relentless.

Btw, i think we can stop calling this a cult. It has fairly moved into the religious realm but one that accepts everyone. It makes you feel part of something bigger. It is very attractive, especially for young people.

• Advertisement

😀The dacor returns, you had a tough day, good to see you trying to get in the loop again.

Advertisement