Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Have you seen their monthly reports? Very interesting stuff. Take for example, December where rainfall was way down on the average as was temperature

Yes, very interesting that when temperatures were at their lowest as you rightly point out - electrical and heating demand also set a new record.

Where was the wind generation throughout the coldest part of 2022, specifically between December 3rd and 16th incl.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I will tell you what he will do, he will increase the carbon tax and tell you to use public transport and bicycles

More bog rewetting gets underway

There's something like 77,000 hectares planned for rewetting

You can expect all those with company cars to start shouting to convert them to EV's asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh, I'm with you on the gas turbines and the ability to retrofit to eventually get to 100 hydrogen. It's why I'd rather see the likes of Moneypoint and Tarbert upgraded to gas with a view to going 100% hydrogen in the future. Right now though the tech is just not fully there.

Economies of scale should come for low emission hydrogen production but until it does we only have existing figures to work with. You'd still have to admit that at the existing price point it's a super expensive option, just like the Hinkley C plant you don't like.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

It's a truly wonderful thing this climate change stuff.

Too warm - climate change

Too cold - climate change

Too wet - climate change

Too dry - climate change

It seems the house always wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Funnily enough I always found it common courtesy to mention the main points of a reports findings.

Which I did so why did you not do the same, or are you attempting to say that what I posted was not what was said word for word in that report ?

Something you should perhaps consider in future before attempting to denigrate someones post. Honesty is the most basic of common courtesies

are you attempting to say that what I posted was not what was said word for word in that report

There's one of those assumptions that I was referring to earlier

Your short a pot.

From Reuters Oct 5 2022.

"The U.K. Government recently awarded its first Contract for Difference (CFD) for a floating wind project to developer Hexicon through a special pot in the UK Round 4 renewable energy auction" That CFD is £87.30/MWh (€99).

If the same is applied here for this wind+hydrogen 30GW plan, then the strike price for just the offshore electricity generation alone to the consumer would be double @ €198/MWh as 50% of that electricity is earmarked for hydrogen. On top of that €198 would be added the cost of hydrogen production, storage, generation and distribution. Figures again you have failed to produce.

As I said in my previous post, a strike price in reality of at least €250/MWh. That is over double for the most expensive nuclear price you could find, and £150/MWh for hydrogen is not within a half a percent of the most expensive nuclear you could find @£92.5/MWh. It`s over 60% more expensive. And that is all without the fact that the CapEx for the offshore part of that plan alone would be many multiples of the Capex for nuclear that would provide the same 6.3 GW. All the associated hydrogen costs, (which you again have failed to provide), increases that multiple even further.

Funny how thinks are flipped here when it suits. Nuclear would be a problem here because of a shortage of water, but when it comes to hydrogen suddenly it`s no problem whatsoever. And could we please get rid of this pretend game that the CapEx costs for offshore are going to be passed on by investors to the consumer free of charge. It`s disingenuous nonsense. Nobody other than the consumer is going to be paying the pipers for all costs involved plus their profits on their investments.

• Advertisement

And there`s another of your running away posts rather than admit that unlike you I actually included the finding of that report in my post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've given the time lines for nuclear in 28 countries in Western Europe and the Americas and beyond.

In the last 30 years between them they have started and completed ONE reactor. And it broke down after less than 30 days on full load.

Nuclear isn't cheap when the average plant is late and over budget. The two reactors in the US are only costing $30Bn if you ignore the sunk costs of $9Bn when the other two were abandoned. The Reactors in France and Finland are only 4 times overbudget if you ignore the costs of providing power for the years and years they didn't. In the UK Hinkley-C could have replaced a Drax worth of fossil fuel, but it hasn't.

Nuclear isn't reliable, decent up times, but drops off the grid when it feels like it. You still have to explain why nuclear could work on our grid when Germany had multiple losses of 2/3rd of nuclear power.

NOX is a talisman , keep clutching it, it's been sorted with current turbines. If the situation becomes so strict that it would require emissions capturing , which is an option for power turbines, it would also require the cessation of all jet aircraft.

I know that greens are pretty much rubbish when it comes to mathematics. Be that either for convenience sake or just an inability to understand even the basic concept, but even so I would imagine that doesn`t include basis reading skills.

If wind generation was 34% according to a post of yours for the 11 months until the end of November, and it was 34% according to your post now for December., how does that add up to 35% for the year. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I know you think you are being all edgy and cool, but its called climate change for a reason.

There isn't 1 single earth climate that is getting too hot, all the climates are changing. There is a pretty useful reminder in the name itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's a view that looks to be popular with some, so much so that a boat tour industry is appearing offering sight seeing tours.

Will be something to watch out for with Codling given the size of the turbines in that farm and the scale of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

I guess it could also double as a giant pictographic billboard, telling you when you're allowed run the dishwasher. 😒

EV's are becoming so popular and numerous that some of the perks are being curtailed

Waterford council stops parking incentive for EV drivers

As the numbers increase further we can expect to see other incentives reduced over time.

Analysis is linked below on the incentives as they exist, comparisons to other jurisdictions and options for the future was published middle of last year which gives an idea of what might happen as EV's take over from ICE options

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I'm capturing this for the record. Its climate smear site activist John Gibbons spouting his usual nonsense. Listen how he trips himself, yet again! The presenters give him lots of rope and he hangs himself . . . every time.

[Matt Cooper] 1 min 30 seconds in. Ok, John Gibbons is with us for our weekly environment spot. John, did you hear the minister for agriculture Charlie McConalogue there. I put it to him that you have tweeted today about this deal with China. How is it possible to export beef to China as well without increasing our emissions, but he implied basically it will just be beef going to China probably at a better price, rather than going somewhere else.

[John Gibbons] Good afternoon Matt, and happy new year. Am, yeah, I obviously listened to the minister and I noted he made no commitment whatever to actually limiting beef production, so essentially what's happened here is they have opened a new market, fair enough. New markets beget when you've got an outlet like that, that begets increased production. I mean nowhere did the minister saw for example, as we open the Chinese market we'll sell off the French market, we'll cut back on the Dutch market. So essentially they have created a new market and that market naturally will be serviced by increased production. I mean that's a QED situation and I think the minister was fairly clear in avoiding any commitment, even at capping it and it's probably important Matt to say we're not in a capping situation here, we're in a situation where, legally, his department, his sector is bound by law over the next 7 years to reduce emission by 25%, and I should add, that 25% is by far the lowest sectoral commitment of any sector in Ireland. So they've got the lowest targets,a sector whose emissions have been rising the most quickly, as we know over the last decade they are up 19%, and here we have this afternoon the minister for agriculture celebrating the expansion of the most emissions intensive form of agriculture that we have got. So, I'm not really sure how exactly we square this with climate commitments, I would suggest what we are hearing this afternoon is, ah, the agriculture minister simply throwing them out the window.

[MC] OK. Let's move on to other things. We have Sarah Slattery in our travel spot coming up in just a little while, and I am going to ask her about whether people can get their money back, if they go to empty ski slopes, where they find there isn't any snow for them to enjoy skiing on. But, You're going to look at this in a different way, that there is an issue here about why are we not having snow in the Alps this Winter.

[JG] Sure. I mean, again. This is really basic stuff and this isn't specific to the Alps. All over the world snowpacks, are melting, this is basic physics, as the global temperatures increase snowpacks are melting and we've seeing this in the Himalayas, we've seen it, ah, Greenland in particular, we've seen it in the Arctic circle and even within Antarctica, the coldest place on earth we are beginning to see a loss of ice from the land based ice, so all over the world we know that as temperatures go up, ice turns into water, this is basic physics and this is happening Matt, obviously the most vulnerable glaciers are the land based glaciers, the smaller glaciers like for example in the Alps. So, what we see in areas like the Alps in France is areas below 2000 meters are now essentially, above 0 degrees, which is kind of crazy I mean this the first week in January, the absolute depths of Winter, and theses are at high elevations, 2000 meters we are talking about, what's that 6-7000 feet up and above 0 degrees, so this is a complete transformation over the type of climate that existed there, 10, 20, 30 years ago. And a dramatic, and you've seen it I'm sure in the footage from these regions, essentially the ski slopes, the infrastructure that has been built there in the confident expectation that this year will be like last year. They are now basically stranded assets and we are going to see, by the way an awful lot more of this around the world, because we're operating now, not against a fixed background, but against a rapidly changing background.  We know we have already increased global temperatures, surface temperatures by about 1.2 degrees and we also know, that that increase has been, ah, extenuated high up in the Arctic, and we know the Arctic is warming much more quickly and that in turn is having other effects on our global climate system.

[MC] But hold on. If you are saying that how come we has such heavy snow in the United States before Christmas?

[JG] Yeah. The United States was an interesting anomaly. What we have there, basically, One of the effects of climate change that we are seeing. Meteorologists have understood this for some time, is that the jet stream which is basically a high altitude stream of fast moving air, which is kind of pinned between the mid latitudes and the high latitudes. So for examples its the reason why your flight from America comes back maybe and hour quicker going from east to west. It's basically fast moving air. So that jet stream has a huge influence over weather in the Northern hemisphere. Vast influence. Now, when the jet stream basically, what happened last month in December, in the US, the jet stream bulged down from the Artic and because of increased temperatures the jet stream is becoming wavier. It's unable to hold its position on its line so it bulged down into North America, and, basically it dumped Arctic weather directly over North America. So that's what happened there. What we are now seeing in early January, is the jet stream bulging upwards, and dragging up air from Africa up over Europe, in the depths of Winter. Now do, we, If you look back over the record, have we had anomalous weather conditions before?. Yes we have, however, the record breaking that happened in early January this year, there simply, there is nowhere on the record, and I've looked at this in detail, I'll give you a small example, Matt. The temperature recorded in Warsaw on the 1st January, 19.1 degrees. That broke the high temperature record for Poland by fiiive degrees!, in a single day. Now that is the equivalent of somebody running 100 meters in 4 seconds, you'd say what the heck is going on? Essentially we have, we have, if you like we have a weather system that is on steroids, and these remember in Europe, we have fantastic detailed instrumental temperature records Matt, going back hundreds of years, and they are falling like nine pins at the moment.

[MC] Of course there are people who say they are happy enough, because this means we don't have to spend as much money on gas and electricity, maybe on these Winter months.

[JG] Yeah, It's an ill wind that blows no good. I mean the higher temperatures in central Europe may give us some slight reprieve there is no question about that. Unfortunately, its a very small consolation considering the overall disruption that travels with this, and, you know, it's really throwing nature of of whack. Ah, we've got, ah, we're breaking down the seasons and as I say we are seeing temperatures happening, and this, by the way, again, this is not a regional thing. The particular anomaly we are talking about swept from France, Spain, Poland, Germany, the Czech Republic, Holland, Belarus,. This is a huge system.

[MC] I'm just looking at some of the figures, like 25.1 celcius in Bilbao airport in the Basque country. People sunning themselves at the Guggenheim museum, in January. The start of January, you had temperatures of 25 degrees in the Southwest of France as well, not far from there.

[JG] That's right, and that actually brings me nicely to one point as well about this and that is how we talk about these events. So for example I was looking at the BBC website earlier and they had a report on this extraordinary heatwave and they illustrated the report Matt with a picture, of a group of people, one of them wearing a Santa hat having fun on the beach in Spain. Now, of course it's amazing and it's great, but guys we really got to look at this.

[MC] A listener says it was freezing up to Christmas in Ireland. What are ye on about?

[JG] Well, I guess we've got a . . .{interrupted}

[MC] It was only 2 weeks of extreme cold weather in what was the warmest year on record in Ireland.

[JG] That's correct, exactly so that. I think we have to understand the distinction between weather and climate and as you correctly said, what we are seeing is the climate system we have just had our warmest year ever recorded, was 2022. Within that we still have weather variability. We are still going to get days that are cold, of course we are.

[MC] Ok. Listen, a final brief one. Tell us about the new governmental legislation that came into force today on tobacco companies?

[JG] Yeah, The plan here Matt. Is basically . . . Cigarette butts, they are small but they have a huge impact. We find for example that half the plastic litter in Ireland, halt the litter in Ireland is actually cigarette butts. They are very difficult to pickup, they are very difficult to manage, and also they get into rivers, they get into streams and they get into our oceans. Globally these are massively toxic. We know that worldwide nearly a million tons of toxic litter. And people might say well sure cigarettes are harmless they are only a bit of tobacco. The problem isn't really the cigarette, its the filters. The filters are made of a thing called cellulose acetate. It is basically a plastic, and that plastic the tobacco companies discovered a number of years ago, that people thought the the filter made the cigarettes safer. It doesn't at all by the way. So, they put filters on, filters are made of plastic, and those filters are also when you smoke them, they become contaminated with all the gunk there is in cigarettes. Now when they end up in waterways, for example we know that the concentration of one cigarette butt for a liter of water kills all the small fish and plankton in that liter of water, so these are highly toxic. And what's happening here is the minister Smith is making the, basically, bring in legislation that s you said has come into force today, its in line with an EU directive on reducing single use plastic. Now what we'd like to see happen of course would be the an outright ban on plastic filters on cigarettes, that is where we need to get to. Bit, in the short term what the minister is saying to the cigarette companies, is you are creating this mess, you are going to have to pay to clean it up.

[MC] John Gibbons. Thank you for being with us for your first of our weekly environment spots for 2023. John will be with us each Thursday, throughout the rest of the year. 

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Was listening the some of that also last Friday evening. Tuned out before the end, couldnt listen to the drivel. But before Gibbons came on they had the minister on and questioning him about the Chinese market opening up for Irish beef and there were messaged sent in saying we shouldnt be exporting to them because of human rights issues but three was no issue by these same people about the tat they are using everyday that comes from China. The mind boggles at the twisted logic by the woke generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Everyone knows why gibbons is anti farmer and his family history in agriculture.a dangerous crank given too much airtime to spread his bs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭prunudo

And then add in the others between Wicklow and Courtown, you're looking at up to 800 all within sight of the Co. Wicklow coastline. I understand we need to address power supply, but anyone down playing the visual impact of this volume of turbines is not being sincere.

If those pushing these projects published accurate renders and a plan with the location of each base it would give people a better understanding of how they will all look when completed. Because these are seperate companies making the applications, you can't see how whole area will look when they're all built.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Arealred

John Gibbons is a mouthpiece for the Big Pharmacueticals. His company Medmedia is funded by them. Now look at everything he says through that prism. Also he has no qualifications in climate change, but gets so much airtime.

Further actions by the EU to advance climate actions outside of its borders. More of this please

A groundbreaking EU deal to ban the import of goods linked to deforestation has set a global benchmark and will hasten the passage of a similar law in the US, American lawmakers have said.

A football pitch-sized tract of forest is lost every second somewhere around the world, mostly to agricultural expansion. From 2024, the EU will require firms working in deforestation hotspots to certify that their goods have not harmed forests after a cutoff date of 31 December 2020.

The EU says this will in effect prohibit the import of commodities such as beef, soya, palm oil, coffee, cocoa, rubber, charcoal and paper, and derived products, unless their origins can be traced, using geolocation data.

The EU’s environment commissioner, Virginijus Sinkevičius, described the agreement as “the most ambitious legislative attempt to tackle these issues worldwide ever”.

From 2025, a review clause in the law could allow it to be extended to “other wooded land” such as Brazil’s Cerrado – the source of an estimated 65% of the EU’s soya-related deforestation – and to other commodities such as maize and biodiesel. From 2026, the law could cover other ecosystems with high biodiversity value or heavy carbon content.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Won't stop unscrupulous Governments allowing forestry clearance, so long as other unscrupulous States will happily buy the resulting product.

Thankfully the new (old) President in Brazil seems like he wants to reverse the mass deforestation policies, but they are far from the only offenders.

What the EU are doing here is a step, but globally we need much larger carrots and much heavier sticks alike to end and reverse deforestation.

All around the globe, climate activists are taking legal action against corporations for greenwashing and climate damage

• In 2021, a landmark case against Shell saw the Big Oil giant ordered to slash CO2 emissions by 45 per cent. This paved the way for further litigation, like the ongoing efforts in the US to bring Shell, BP and Exxon to trial over their climate tactics and greenwashing.
    • In July, a US federal judge in California granted preliminary approval for a $10 million (€9.5m) settlement after single-serve coffee company Keurig was sued by consumers who accused it of inaccurately marketing its K-Cups as recyclable even though they are not in many localities. Keurig has denied wrongdoing and liability.
    • Another suit was filed in California state court in 2020 by the US environmental group Earth Island Institute against Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Nestlé and several other global consumer goods companies. It seeks to hold those companies accountable for their alleged contributions to plastic pollution. The suit raises public nuisance, breach of warranty and negligence claims.
    • A lawsuit announced this year by London-based environmental law firm ClientEarth and other nonprofits is trying to kill a £2.6 billion (€2.9b) ethylene facility proposed by British petrochemical giant Ineos in Belgium. Litigators claim approvals by the Flemish government failed to take into account the environmental impact of the plant. 
    • Sweden-based Oatly, which advertises its oat-based milk alternative as the result of a less water-intensive process than that of traditional dairy milk, was hit with three lawsuits in 2021. In US federal court in New York, investors claimed the statements amounted to “greenwashing”.
    • In Denmark, the European Union’s biggest pork producer, Danish Crown, was hit with a lawsuit in 2021. It was alleged that the company misrepresents its climate footprint through marketing that says its production is "more climate friendly than you think". 
    • A lawsuit filed by Indigenous groups in France claims French supermarket chain Casino has systematically violated human rights and environmental laws by selling beef linked to land grabbing and deforestation in the Amazon rainforest. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

One of the Green policies I do not agree with is this business of rewetting the bog of Allen instead of doing what should be done with it ie using it as a horticultural hub. It should be covered in industrial greenhouses and used to feed 500 million people just like the Dutch do in the Hague. In fact, using the bog of Allen to feed millions is terribly important in 2023 because Dutch farmers are being threatened with confiscation of their farms if they use nitrates (ie fertilizer). Obviously the Dutch government think if they stop farmers using fertilizer they will have no reason the complain about the price of fertilizer and therefore no reason to protest against NATO`s war in Ukraine (but that is a different matter).

The point is, 2023 will be the perfect storm with so many factors causing food shortagers and if the ECB pivots on interest rates, general inflation (including food inflation) will go berserk. Gotta redrain the bog and put it to use. Bogs are only carbon stores anyway, they do not extract carbon from the air like forests do. Why is there no effort being made to encourage the plantation of deciduous forest in this country with an emphasis on trees which are food producing such as cherry trees, crab apple, chestnut, plum, sloth, hazelnut, walnut as well as trees with specific uses like willow, birch, ash and so on. There is a lot of marginal land that serves no use but it could be used for forests. And not all forests need to be spruce/pine only. Why grow those trees if we are not going to process them ourselves? What a waste! At least if we processed them we would get some value. I see so many fields with reeds growing in them that are not much use for anything other than wasting fuel because there existence increase the distance people drive between places. If trees were planted on that land, they would serve both man and beast.

All that said, left wing parties tend to have it in for the Greens but that is just politics. The Greens did well in the last election because they were the ones speaking out on issues like global warmer and they were seen as being spot on because the news was reporting vast forrest fires from Europe to California to Siberia to Australia. The Greens are right to be concerned and my guess is FFG are shackling them and blaming them for their own failures. The opposition are no better, I recall the Greens being lamblasted by the likes of Sinn Fein and Labour back around 2011 but as soon as Labour was in government they tried promoting the very policies they previously criticised the Greens for having (things like promoting wind power). I have nothing against wind/solar but I reckon nuclear is the future. I also think Ireland should promote itself as a proof of concept hub for developing wave energy. Geographically, we have the perfect location.

That is my two cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement

Closer to home, a legal case taken by FoIE against Trumps Doonbeg golf course results in victory with the removal of fences along the sand dunes

The case is still due before the courts though

Advertisement