Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

So its only everybody else that has to cut back. Same as the COP crowd do as I say not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You're right, but the planning process has already been changed in recent years to improve delivery of strategic infrastructure generally, including data centres, waste incinerators, hospitals, universities, road and rail.

If it has to be further reformed to enable 21st century energy solutions, so be it.

SMRs are ideally co-located with industrial consumption and onward to the national grid. They don't necessarily need a large water source for cooling like Gen III and earlier Fission Reactors, but can be mineral or gas cooled, so options are many.

I'd start early exploration for potential sites at:

Huntstown Power Station complex, Coldwinters, North Dublin

Grange Castle, West Dublin

Ringsaskiddy Peninsula, Cork Harbour

Shannon Industrial Zone, Co Clare

Moneypoint Power Station site, Co Clare

Tarbert Power Station Site, Co Kerry

Belview Port, Co Waterford

Great Island Power Station Site, Co Wexford

Greenore Port, Co Louth

New Docks, Galway City

Lanesboro and Rhode former Peat fuelled Power Station Sites, Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

ORESS-1 offshore wind auction seems to be about six months delayed. Auction now targeted for early May with results mid-June.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Discredited 97% consensus? The consensus has actually been repeatedly confirmed in multiple independent studies using varied methodologies

Let me guess, your 'discreditation' is one of those petitions that keeps doing the rounds every few years promoted by shills like the GWPF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I want to pause here and talk about this notion of consensus, and the rise of what has been called consensus science. I regard consensus science as an extremely pernicious development that ought to be stopped cold in its tracks. Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had. Michael Crichton

Here is how Cook did it, essentially a keyword survey of abstracts that are really a meaningless proxy for biased government funding, and profoundly unscientific. Cook and Nuccitelli were additionally called out by Richard Tol in the Guardian. This happened back in 2013 and it was a public relations coup being used used successfully in the run up to the Paris agreement in 2015 where it became the killer argument in every private discussion and public debate, you know the drill by now: "I am just following the science." Commentators and public service advisors used it to intimidate politicians and the public, yet practically no one has read the all-important paper by John Cook and associates, or even knows someone who has. Cooks original attempt has been demolished, but the propaganda value is such that it has been reformulated, however if you ask the right questions you will get the "right result".

I have covered consensus as a political and religious tool previously before and the conclusion is science is not done by consensus: Interests, Bias, and Consensus in Science and Regulation.

Psychologist Daniel Kahneman explains that scientists tend to experience what he calls “theory-induced blindness”: once a theory is accepted and used as a thinking tool, it is extraordinarily difficult to notice its flaws. Even when one comes upon an observation that does not fit the theory, one assumes that there must be an explanation that was somehow missed.7 Therefore, no consensus of experts can be an argument in scientific discussion.

The sin for journalists, politicians and their advisors is to ignore the views of the significant number of very highly qualified scientists who are not alarmed. That may be harder since Steven Koonin emerged on the scene, untainted by incorrect political affiliations.

The two parts of the Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming (CAGW) meme:

1. Warming is going to be catastrophic and,
    2. Human activities are driving it.

Both of these need to be established in peoples minds to justify trillions of spending on projects that inflict massive environmental – like chemotherapy for the planet. Both of them! Not just one or the other.

If the warming is dangerous and we make little or no contribution to it, then we can do little or nothing to avert the danger.

Alternatively if the warming is not dangerous then the extent of our influence is a matter of scientific interest but we don’t need to worry about it.

Starting with the first leg of the double. The case for the danger of warming is laughable because nobody can credibly deny the benefit of warming over the last 200 years, and the advance of warming has been glacial in recent times.

As for the human emissions of CO2 that are supposed to drive warming, we can point out, starting at the shallow end of the scientific pool. The geological record shows that high levels of CO2 never caused runaway warming. The level of CO2 at present (including a small fraction from human emissions) is nowhere near the geological record high points. Doubling atmospheric CO2 from 400ppm at present, with the current increase of 2ppm per annum, will take 200 years. There is a diminishing return from additional CO2 and most of the effect of rising CO2 since the industrial revolution has been used up with the one degree of warming since then. And so on and so forth as you go towards the deep end of the pool to learn from Will Happer and Richard Lindzen on atmospheric physics.

I know many of you have no interest in challenging the narrative, you might however consider how consensus is used in advertising, those of you old enough might remember the "when asked 8 out of 10 cats prefer Whiskas" adverts from the 1980s. A complaint was filed with advertising standards and since it was obvious that cats could not be asked that question, their owners can be asked. Likewise you see the same sleight of hand with the Cook paper, the researchers and scientists behind the papers that Cook did his keyword search on were not asked whether they agreed with the consensus.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Good to see England getting on board with banning single use plastics. Not completely but a good first step, with more to come in 2025

RTE news : England to ban single-use plastic cutlery and plates

So the fellah who wrote Jurassic Park is your first point of call to say the Climate consensus is 'discredited'

You then go on to quote Kahnamen to say that scientists are affected by 'Theory Induced Blindness' but that has nothing to do with a 'Scientific consensus'. It refers to individual scientists who become married to a theory that they themselves have come to accept, whether that's a contrarian theory, or a theory that happens to be mainstream. This explains the cooks and the cranks who refuse to change their mind even when the flaws in their accepted theory become overwhelmingly obvious to an observer who doesn't have that pre-existing attachment

There is no competing hypothesis that explains why the climate is currently warming (which it definitely is despite your assertions to the contrary) better than the GreenHouse effect driven by human changes to the environment. If one of the skeptics was able to provide a testable hypothesis for an alternative explanation that explained observations better, then climate scientists would adjust their theories accordingly.

Richard Lindzen, for example states that climate sensitivity is less than 1 degree celsius (for a doubling of Atmospheric CO2 from Pre-industrial levels)

Well, guess what, we've already seen more than 1c of warming and we haven't reached a doubling of CO2. So he's wrong, demonstrably. and yet he refuses to change his mind. This is what Kahnamen referred to as 'Theory Induced Blindness'

Up and coming scientists don't suffer from this early in their careers, they have incentives to find new and better explanations for established phenomena, and it is often said that science advances one funeral at a time.

Another option for rural dwellers

New subsidised local hackney service to be provided in over 20 rural locations where no current full-time service exists

The Minister for Transport, Eamon Ryan TD, alongside the National Transport Authority (NTA) has today launched a one year pilot programme for a localised, specially licenced hackney service to help improve transport choices for people living in rural locations across the country.

The Local Hackney Pilot is a grant aided programme, which is designed to encourage new part-time local hackney services to operate in communities which could not support a full time taxi or hackney operation. Applications to take part in the Pilot Programme can be made at localhackney.ie

The pilot programme will roll out across 21 rural areas, stretching from Donegal to Cork, for one year. All drivers will be licenced, insured and Garda vetted and will be able to pick people up from their doors to drop them to where they want to go, providing that essential “last mile” connection for people living in more isolated and rural areas.

Commenting at today’s launch, Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan TD, said: “One of our key priorities in transport is to improve connectivity across rural Ireland in particular, not just in towns, but in the areas around those towns where so many people live and farm. This pilot responds to the reality of rural life in Ireland, in a creative and local-based way, connecting people from their doors to local towns, healthcare centres, the post-offices, or onto other transport stops and hubs.

With this new pilot service, rural communities across Ireland will now be given the opportunity to have a part time local area hackney service available to them. We will monitor it over the coming year and learn from it so that we can roll it out across many other areas. This Pilot is an important tenet of the Government’s National Sustainable Mobility Plan 2022-2025 and a key deliverable under Our Rural Future 2021-2025”.

Each successful applicant for the local hackney license may be granted €6,000 as a subsidy to ordinary fares income, to run the service. This grant is designed to contribute towards the fixed costs associated with providing this service. It is payable by NTA over one year, in equal monthly instalments, where the service provider can show that the services are being used and the local hackney service is of benefit to the community.

This special limited local licence is designed to ensure that existing taxi or hackney services already operating and providing appropriate service in any area are not displaced.

The local hackney, which exclusively operates on a pre-booked basis, may only pick up passengers within a designated area of 7 to 10km from a chosen point, normally the residence of the licenced driver. The drop off point has no restrictions, with trips to healthcare facilities and transport hubs further afield anticipated.

Analysis of the potential to stay at just 1.5 degree increase of climate change. It doesn't paint an optimistic picture

Climate modelling is becoming an ever more sophisticated science, but there are still more than 1200 different future pathways outlined in the latest IPPC report, depending on what we humans choose to do next. Now a team of journalists and scientists has assessed those pathways to find out if any of them is genuinely achievable.

The Washington Post article the video is based on is linked below. Its an exceptional piece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why oh why do I get the distinct feeling that some of the posts here come out of an office on Suffolk St dublin2 ?

Regular as clockwork, day in day out, always with links and a little blurb attached just to satisfy the posting guidelines about not just dropping links.

Imagine how much energy would be saved if they didn't use so much electricity, or perhaps they have a bicycle powered laptop. 🤨

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/01/09/coalition-members-at-odds-over-proposals-to-expand-asylum-system-to-include-climate-migrants/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Another dozy of a proposal coming from the Greens, this time it's Roderic rather than Eamo. When Ivana Bacik is agree with you them you know you're on the wrong side of the debate.

There are so many issues with a possible proposal like this. The first and obvious one being how in the name of lettuce window boxes do you even police it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Off all the green shite this is the most stupid proposal I have ever seen. Climate migrates , wtf are they, swans and swallows. Crazy bat **** stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I wonder do they check if it's windy outside before they post..

Some fresh pics of the EV buses coming soon to Athlone for anyone interested

ok i would have thought most people are aware that the changing climate is going to cause drought and famine and conflict in the world. this will lead to millions migrating to greener pastures i.e. europe and north america whether you like it or not.

i know the greens despise rural ireland, apparently, but it's funny how they're the only people who have ever at least tried to do something about the lack of transport options. this hackney thing is a great idea, and also new bus services to connect rural villages

so even after they're ousted after the next election at least they'll have improved transport somewhat in rural ireland after it having being ignored for 100 years by FFFG

I'd love to dive into that last statement some more. What do you mean by "whether you like it or not?"

Last time I checked we still had some semblance of democracy left. There's extraordinary aid packages being proposed to help regions experiencing drought / famine etc directly in the areas affected. Are you suggesting we should completely do away with border security in the name of climate change? That would lead to some interesting debates on the political landscape and not one that could be easily shouted down as "racist" because it would have a huge impact on every citizen living here.

England are to ban single use Cutlery

The Tories aren't exactly the green party but It's a brilliant policy that we should adopt over here

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/01/09/a-drop-in-the-ocean-england-bans-some-single-use-plastics-but-does-it-go-far-enough#:~:text=England%20is%20now%20set%20to,November%202021%20to%20February%202022.

• Advertisement

remember the streams of syrians etc. coming into germany a few years ago? it'll be like that but non stop. sure we will put measures in place to limit it but unless we start machine gunning people at borders it'll just be incessant. ireland probably wont feel the worst of it as we're an island but we may need to take a lot more to give europe a dig out.

oh and i wouldn't be at all surprised if we see machine gunning at borders in my lifetime, already had some nasty incidents at ceuta.

Maybe, maybe not. I have a more optimistic outlook myself. We need world leader's to start actually leading instead of jetting around the world on jollys worrying about CO2 when far more pressing matters are at hand.

Syria wasn't caused by climate change. The famine in Yemen isn't caused by climate change. The increase in Afghan refugees wasn't caused by climate change. The destruction of Sudan wasn't caused by climate change.

Are you starting to see a pattern yet? Most of the issues causing an increase in migrants are political problems and reducing CO2 won't do a thing to solve them.

Ok, but you're waiting for

world leader's to start actually leading instead of jetting around the world on jollys worrying about CO2 when far more pressing matters are at hand.

What does that mean? You're waiting for 'world leaders' to just decide to fix things? But they can't fly in planes when they're fixing them?

I'm really struggling with this one.

You want world leaders, to all coordinate with each other, to fix things, but they can't coordinate by 'jetting around'...

Or are they allowed to fly around to fix the famine in Yemen, but have to do everything climate related via zoom?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Another dozy of a proposal coming from the Greens

And people call them a 'woke' party...

Who calls them a woke party?

They're the Green party

What's 'Woke'?

Where did I say they couldn't fly anywhere?

My point isn't that difficult to understand.

If you don't not want politicians to fly anywhere, why complain about them 'jetting around'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

The issue is the mad greens in the first place moving from wood. Biodegradable, Pellets seem to be nice and green why not sporks made of wood. Rainforest no longer cut down for wood just burned for beef production.

Advertisement