Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We're trying to stop human caused climate change. Anthropogenic Global Warming.

That is not the same as controlling the world's weather patterns

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

But you are saying humans have the power to change the planets climate by saying man made climate change - yes?

So you are 100% sure humans have any bearing on what the planet does- even though the planet has done this many times before humans were around?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

have you not been listening to what scientists are saying? the climate is being changed by man pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

When I listen to the scientists you mention regarding climate change this quote below from the great Gatsby always comes to mind. Lol

"I read somewhere that the sun's getting hotter every year," said Tom genially. "It seems that pretty soon the earth's going to fall into the sun—or wait a minute—it's just the opposite—the sun's getting colder every year.

ok well they seem to know what they're talking about and are pretty much unanimous on the subject that man is causing the climate to change. i realise the experts like yourself on boards.ie don't believe this to be true based on god only knows what but climate scientists seem pretty certain of it. that's why it's always in the news etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I never said climate change is not occurring but to just put it down to humans is plainly not credible and reminds me of the millennium bug tbh... Believe nothing that you hear and half of what you see. It's good to question things and not be a sheep. Science is constantly proven right then wrong then somewhere in the middle as the saying goes its not an exact science.....

why do you think the consensus by 10s of 1000s of scientists is that it's man made? do you think they're all wrong because you have a hunch?

How did it change before humans were around? Unless you are saying it didn’t change? 🧐

you got me there, the scientists must be wrong, and temperatures are not accelerating in an unnatural fashion since we started pumping the atmosphere during the industrial revolution. you should tell all the researchers and universities you've found evidence they're all wrong, because the climate used to change naturally.

Well don’t get upset about it.

Im agreeing with you that the climates changing- but I’m asking how this happened before humans were around?

• Advertisement

i've no idea. do you not believe that the climate is changing more rapidly in recent times because of human activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It's not even before humans were around. The climate has changed multiple times in the last 2000 years. It's well known that vineyards existed in England around the time of the Roman conquest. For these vineyards to grow you need decent early Spring weather with temperatures of 15c to 18c - more akin to modern-day late May, not early March. The Vikings were able to farm southern Greenland around 1000AD such was the mildness of the weather then. There are far too numerous examples to list here without flooding the thread.

So, begs the question - what were humans up to around the 700AD to 900AD period to change the climate in such fashion? It's a conveniently side-stepped when laying the blame of modern day climate change at our feet. Of course the Climate Alarmists will just handwave that away, as usual.

so why do you think the consensus of pretty much every climate scientist is that humans are changing the climate now? is it some tax grabbing conspiracy? or the WEF you'll own nothing mullarkey?

Who knows?

But the question remains- why did the climate change so many times before humans were around and as danno has pointed out when we have been around in ancient (human timeline) times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah now you missed ...

Lets reintroduce apex predators to Ireland because they were ntaive here when fook all people lived here and the country was covered in woodland - besides it was done in the likes of Yellowstone National Park, but we will do it in a small unfencable National Park a 20th of the size beside our biggest urban area.

Lets decimate one of our only true indigenous industries to cut methane and carbon emissions as shure the shortfall in production can be taken up by someone else hacking down rainforests to meet world demand.

Lets not bother with gas storage because we can always get it over interconnectors, oh wait is a fossil fuel so we shouldn't have it anyway.

Lets decimate our tourist industry by inviting in every Mohamed, Giorgi, Jemal, Adebyi because they are fleeing a warzone, persecution for being different, had their feeling hurt and/or climate change and place them in hotels that would cater for tourists who would being money into other ancillary businesses and establishments, all the while offering these immigrants housing we don't have and social welfare we can't afford.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not just me, The vast majority of scientists and the IPCC have said it is "Unequivocal" that human activities have caused the climate to warm

Just to be unequivocal about what the IPCC meant by unequivocal

Climate has changed in the past due to well understood interactions between atmospheric concentrations of GHGs, the planets' orbit and the wobble in our orbit (Milankovich cycles) as well as changes in solar output over time, and Geological activity such as volcanic activity

We have spent almost a century examining this and have ruled our all of the 'Natural' explanations for the observations, while the increase in atmospheric ghgs and land use changes, explains the warming perfectly

So all the natural reasons you mention above that have caused climate change since the inception of the planet, have been proven 100% ruled out as contributing to the current climate change this time around? Is that what you are saying? 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's a consensus that the climate is changing. There's a consensus that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. There are now some scientists questioning whether it's the main proponent in climate change and whether we should be spending trillions to reduce CO2 based on modeling that uses assumptions that aren't very clear.

I'll clarify the above by saying we absolutely should be doing something to reduce emissions and pollution of all sorts. I just disagree with the scale of changes being proposed and the economic impact they will have is going to be enormous. We need to focus resources where they will have the biggest impact and using technology available now. If hydrogen comes along in 10 years as a viable energy storage option, great, let's move to it then.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

well one way or another the current economic model has to change as it's currently based on hoovering up all resources on the planet to the determent of the environment. if we don't try and consume less and stop with the infinite growth we are screwed. and yes i know i'm posting this from a laptop etc.

• Advertisement

Ok that's what I'll do. You should give Doughnut Economics a read, some good ideas in there.

Reducing CO2 won't do anything to solve that though. We are going to hoover up a vast amount of minerals and reduces to build the wind backed future so heavily supported around Europe without a care in the world.

Maybe here in the developed world be could consume less, be more self sufficient as a country, etc etc. However, putting that model on a global scale only serves to keep a vast number of people in abject poverty.

Our growth may plateau and we see small decreases but overall we will still be exceptionally well off. Developing countries may see growth explode and thats a good thing as it takes more and more people out of poverty.

Yes. All natural explanations have been thoroughly investigated and ruled out. Actually, the earth should be in a slight cooling phase at the moment. Instead, the planet is warming and this is unequivocally because of human impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so climate change wont interfere with our global supply chains, in particular our food, health care needs, and other critical needs, thus maintaining our overall global dominance in regards wealth?

Ok.

Can you post a link to where all natural inputs have been ruled out as a driver of climate change and the only input is attributed to humans- as I’ve not sure I’ve read something as unequivocal as that anywhere.

IPCC AR6 Working Group 1

There are no credible alternative hypothesis that explains our observed warming.

There are lots of discredited theories which continue to fly around the blogsphere because of political ideology or whatever, but they're discredited. No serious scientists dispute the reality of AGW.

Even the likes of Richard Lindzen doesn't dispute causes of the current observed warming, he just looks for reasons to pretend that there are other mechanisms that will counter balance the climate change we are observing. His theories have been discredited and there is absolutely no reason to believe he is correct.

If you think I am wrong. Please provide me some examples of scientific explanations that explain our current observed warming.

can i just ask why you think pretty much all scientists are in agreement that man made climate change is real? what's their end game? or are they just all wrong or what?

are you this distrusting of scientists and doctors etc in general or just with climate related stuff?

I'd love to say I'm shocked but...

A new study of ExxonMobil’s own climate projections offers fresh evidence the oil giant’s models accurately forecast global warming decades even as it publicly sowed doubt about the climate crisis.

A review of climate projections made by Exxon for the years 1977 through 2003 found that the company anticipated warming of roughly 0.2 degrees each decade, according to a new study published Thursday in the peer-reviewed journal Science.

That projection aligns with academic and government studies, as well as observed increases in temperatures over that time period.

I’m not disagreeing with climate change.

I understand there is a large body of scientists that agree with the theory of man made climate change.

However is it not prudent to explore an alternate theory- that actually the planet has cycles that it goes through consisting of warm and cold periods and there isn’t really much us as humans can do about that?

Isn’t that the whole idea of science- to challenge hypotheses and theory?

• Advertisement

Please correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the Summary for Policymakers section approved by a review from government representatives with a consensus required by them before being published?

Advertisement