Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

but surely you realise those who came to the conclusion that it's man made, have spent countless hours and years and collaborated studies worldwide looking at all of the alternatives to it being caused by man? otherwise they wouldn't be able to come to any definite conclusions, which they have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You cherry pick nuclear costs by using a corrupt company using desert land, indentured labour and funding it from increased fossil fuel exports, I tend to use the whole industry like the global 77% capacity factor in 2021 or the scarcity of new reactors bing delivered in most countries that have actual long term experience of nuclear. (once bitten twice shy??)

If we had the same sort of planning regulations as the UAE we wouldn't need nuclear as we could throw up GW's of onshore wind in jig time so that cost comparison fails too.

I take it you are climbing back down on your scaremongering claim of a trillion. The most recently grid connected French nuclear plant started construction in 1985 so how exactly are you comparing costs on a like for like basis ? That's nearly 40 years ago and the cost is completely irreverential if you can't actually build the things anymore.

The people shilling for fossil fuel are the ones proposing nuclear, because they know that it will be late and will divert funds from the real threat, renewables being delivered. There is no other purpose in supporting nuclear because it can't deliver on time or on budget. And if/when it delivers it won't be able to compete with renewables as nuclear somehow keeps getting more expensive (except in brochures).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's a whole right to repair discussion there too.

But the problem with laptops is that CPU's and most other components are soldered to the motherboard. This means you can realistically only upgrade the drive and memory and it's way more difficult than before and many of the entry level ones just can't be upgraded, which is criminal when having 4GB of RAM means it's pretty much e-waste unless you have a very specific single app use case for it.

Upgradable CPU's stopped with Intel's Generation 4. Anything newer means you have to replace the motherboard. There's now a new generation every year because marketing. On the old HP G2 Elitebooks you can upgrade memory without needing any tools. Chromebooks have a best before date.

Microsoft are insisting on newer CPU's for Windows 11 , so there'll be a load of e-waste there. No technical reason either. You can install on older hardware , you just can't upgrade.

/RANT

well i've never bought a new phone, very easy to get hand me downs or second hand. some people just want new models of everything all the time which i never understood.

• Advertisement

When I was on bills I got new phones twice but for nearly the last decade I just buy secondhand. The improvements are so small now across generations I don't know how some can justify getting the latest models.

the problem is that eventually they make new OS for Android and Apple incompatible with old models, and then they make new apps that aren't compatible with the old OS, so you're bunched sooner or later and have to get a newer phone. The EU should bring in some rules on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But they have explored those alternative possibilities and ruled them all out.

If you think there is a sensible hypotheses that scientists have ignored, please refer to it here

True but you're talking seriously old at that rate and anything suffering from that issue is likely a poor performing phone at that point anyway

I never buy the latest phones but I'm really excited about this one when it comes out

• Advertisement

i don't know, i had a tiny iphone 5 for years i loved it, but eventually i couldn't get the apps i needed for it because you couldn't put a newer iOS on it unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Which is why the SPMs have typically understated the severity of climate change. For some reason, OPEC countries don't want action that cuts into their profits

But the report itself is very clear that the fundamental science is well understood a d humans are overwhelmingly responsible for the observed warming

"Framing and Context of the WGI Report

The WGI contribution to the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) assesses new scientific evidence relevant for a world whose climate system is rapidly changing, overwhelmingly due to human influence.....

Understanding of the fundamental features of the climate system is robust and well established. Scientists in the 19th century identified the major natural factors influencing the climate system. They also hypothesized the potential for anthropogenic climate change due to carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted by fossil fuel combustion. The principal natural drivers of climate change, including changes in incoming solar radiation, volcanic activity, orbital cycles, and changes in global biogeochemical cycles, have been studied systematically since the early 20th century. Other major anthropogenic drivers, such as atmospheric aerosols (fine solid particles or liquid droplets), land-use change and non-CO2 greenhouse gases, were identified by the 1970s. Since systematic scientific assessments began in the 1970s, the influence of human activity on the warming of the climate system has evolved from theory to established fact."

Understanding of the fundamental features of the climate system is robust and well established. Scientists in the 19th century identified the major natural factors influencing the climate system. They also hypothesized the potential for anthropogenic climate change due to carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted by fossil fuel combustion. The principal natural drivers of climate change, including changes in incoming solar radiation, volcanic activity, orbital cycles, and changes in global biogeochemical cycles, have been studied systematically since the early 20th century. Other major anthropogenic drivers, such as atmospheric aerosols (fine solid particles or liquid droplets), land-use change and non-CO2 greenhouse gases, were identified by the 1970s. Since systematic scientific assessments began in the 1970s, the influence of human activity on the warming of the climate system has evolved from theory to established fact.

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/chapter/chapter-1/#faq-1-1/

This is a classic example, showing how climate propaganda operates. In this case you will have come across it under the Exxon knew public relations campaign. The Irish Times has taken material from Bloomberg wire service, who in turn got it from a press release issued by the climate activists Geoffrey Supran, Stefan Rahmsdorf and Naomi Oreskes. The authors are supported by a Rockefeller Family Fund grant (G.S.) and Harvard University Faculty Development Funds (N.O.). See The Rockefellers vs. the Company That Made Them Rockefellers.

If you are interested in the background to the most recent attempts to smear Exxon via the count system in the United States - see Municipalities of Puerto Rico v. Exxon Mobil, Part 1. The authors have been very active in public relations and have been directly involved in disinformation campaigns on the UK BBC and American PBS, and mostly funded by Rockefeller money.

Exxon scrambles to contain climate crusade (2016)

The seeds of the Venus flytrap closing around Exxon were planted in June 2012 in the wealthy seaside town of La Jolla, Calif., where two dozen scientists, lawyers and academics huddled for a scholarly conference on an issue that had vexed the environmental movement for decades: How, on a planet filled with 7 billion people, do you hold oil companies liable for their role in worsening climate change?

<snip>

But attendees emerged with two strategies that would set the tone for today’s anti-Exxon fight.

First, they underscored the importance of building a catalogue of peer-reviewed research making the case that individual corporations could be held responsible for their contributions to climate change, a step that could serve as Exhibit A in future legal action. That tactic took a page from Exxon itself, which funded research after its 1989 Valdez spill arguing that Alaska’s Prince William Sound was already recovering from the damage.

Richard Heede, a climate researcher who helped organize the La Jolla conference, said the attendees realized the “value” of having credible peer-reviewed research.

Working with other academics like Naomi Oreskes, whose book “Merchants of Doubt” drew parallels between the climate and tobacco fights, Heede published articles in peer-reviewed journals that placed the responsibility for climate change at the feet of major fossil fuel companies.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Understanding of the fundamental features of the climate system is robust and well established."

That's an incredibly ambitious statement to make if we take a step back. Even the most advanced CFD modeling and analysis struggles with small areas with well known inputs, like very large buildings or campuses.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I wonder is this the beginning of Sinn Féin getting behind the idea of PT for rural communities

Bray to Sandyford Luas is not a rural area. Here is an example of empty bus syndrome running in Dublin.

https://www.finnegan-bray.ie/scheduled-services/timetable

that's hilarious, zero comments on the tweet. if that was a green politician posting that it would be swarmed with people posting negative comments.

i wonder what the next greenless governments approach to public transport and restricting cars will be, they wont have my beloved greens to blame then if they introduce any measures.

• Advertisement

Empty buses? A bold claim, although I'm guessing you made it up based on past posts but maybe you will prove me wrong by showing the data on passenger numbers for the service

Its a big report. All of your stated concerns are included in the report. In eye watering detail.

If you object to a sentence in the report being 'ambitious' maybe you should read the chapters that provide the relevant supporting evidence

Me too! It's a honestly astounding the rate of rollout of these LocalLink services, with new ones being launched every few weeks. Based on a quick tally on the TFI site there are now 110+ routes around the country.

I'm calling BS on making an incredible statement like that. As they say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and from my experience with CFD analysis and modeling I doubt it's even possible to get near a working model without an incredible amount of assumptions and buffers built in.

Trying to get convergence on a relatively small model with well defined inputs for what would be a closed system can be difficult at the best of times. Once you step outside it becomes even more difficult and can lead to low confidence rates for outside areas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be "fair" to apple, on this score at least, their kit tends to have a longer service life than competitors like Android. It would be a lot harder to keep an Android phone for five years and keep it even vaguely up to date and relevant.

On the other hand their stuff has been increasingly made to be unrepairable, or expensive to do so. EG their laptop batteries have been glued to the case since around 2017, for no good engineering reason whatsoever. So your battery goes wonky and you want to replace it. Before, a couple of screws, 50 - 100 quid for a battery made of the finest Chinesium and away you went. Now you need to buy the whole top case with keyboard etc from Apple for hundreds of quid and get them to fit it, for some extra cash. Or risk stripping the whole thing down, using solvents to try and free the battery, or just fúck the whole thing out and "upgrade" to a new one...

Right to repair is sorely needed and not just in IT. The waste we generate is insane and it's gotten worse. On this point we're far less "green" than previous generations. Over half of all plastics ever produced have been produced since the year 2000.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...it is fairly hard to keep old phones going, but my determination works reasonably well for me, but id say most phones become virtually unusable after a couple of years, my current phone is heading for 5 years old, isnt working too bad, with issues of course, i also use a 10 year old smart phone, for media purposes, its unusable as a day to day, love to try fix them myself, but they would probably drive me mental trying.... think ive 5/6 old smart phones here, all useable to a degree...

...but the whole industry is a wreck, most practices should be banned, incredible damaging to the planet....

Completely with you on that. Children's toys are one of the worst offenders in my experience. I'd be fairly handy at fixing/guntering things around the house but the kids toys are definitely designed to be unsalvageable. It's a crime as most of the time it's a tiny plastic part that snaps and the entire thing will fail apart and be beyond repair.

• Advertisement

Advertisement