Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

China is placing much more emphasis on nuclear than on renewables.

All evidence to the contrary

As of right now, wind is double the share of nuclear while solar is slightly ahead of nuclear also

Wind 9.3%

Solar 4.74%

Nuclear 4.72%

Wind and solar are also ramping up at an insane rate there

Thats not to say they are not emitting insane emissions due to coal, they absolutely are.

They are also scaling up nuclear, thats also true, but it will still be a long way behind renewables....a LONG way. The end goal for nuclear share, at 18%, will be passed by wind and solar within 2-3 years while nuclear won't hit that figure for probably another 15 years if they're lucky. Meanwhile the target for renewables is 33% by 2025 or 18% if you exclude hydro.

Just to note, they are likely to blow past those targets too as they have consistently done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

That's all well and good saying the share rises, but you aren't factoring in that they are ramping up energy generation. Although the renewable share is rising, the coal and high emission sources are also rocketing up, just they aren't rocketing as much due to renewable rollout.

For example, if coal was 50% of emissions and putting out 100 million tones, and it goes to 40% but is putting out 120 million tonnes - that's not a win

You're not wrong and its one of the reasons they've mandated that a minimum of 50% of any new generation has to be renewable. So if a region wants to add 5 GW's then a min of 2.5GW of it has to be renewable. the graphs above show that % is actually far higher

China has a long way to go, zero argument there. My point was in relation to the comment saying they were focusing on nuclear rather than renewables, when that clearly isn't the case

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You don’t understand the concept of cap-and-trade after 790 pages of posts. If you can’t grasp this basic concept I don’t know what I can say.

But I will say this:

You haven’t even taken the trouble to even understand what the EU and governments are doing, but you still criticize them.

You know very well that Ireland and the EU and certainly not the Green Party don’t control the global strategy.

Your basic problem is with the Paris framework. That’s fair enough, there is plenty to criticize, but what are your alternative proposals?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If they want to sell their products in the EU then they'll need to abide by our regulations. The British found out the hard way that EU customs agents have no qualms about leaving containers full of food to spoil because of inadequate paperwork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

From Carbon Brief.

China`s carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions grew by 4% in the first 3 months of of 2023 reaching a record high for the first 3 months of a year. Looking at the rest of the year, the government focus on economic growth means that China`s emissions are likely to reach an all-time high in 2023 topping the previous peak in 2021"

Kinda shows you where China`s priorities lie and that again renewables are not even keeping pace with demand does it not ?

Fair dues to them adding more wind and solar, even if they are the major producers of such tech and are producing it using coal burning power plants and coal burning smeltering plants to do so, but it is worth noting that unlike some green holdouts, they are not going with the 2 egg energy basket.

China is building 150 extra nuclear powered plants, while the now have the time down to 6 years from start of construction to completion those plants will have at least twice the capacity factor of wind and solar, and will still be providing CO2 clean energy at that capacity factor long after wind and solar infrastructures completed at the same time will have been scrapped and require replaced at least twice.

Don't know anyone going with your 2 eggs scenario. Like many others, their grid will eventually comprise of wind, solar, hydro, hydrogen, batteries and other storage tech, geothermal and nuclear etc. Identical to ourselves actually, albeit without the nuclear in our case because that would just be silly for Ireland

There has never been anything inadequate about Brazil`s meat traceability paper work as long as you believe that the animal originated and was raised in the the area where the paperwork said it did. With the passage of Bill 490 this month I cannot see that changing regardless of what the EU regulates.

The simple truth is that there is a projected increase of demand of 14% between now and 2030. E.U. regulations up until recently prevented EU farmers competing on the the world market with the milk quota regulation. After righting that, theyare now attempting another a complete about turn that will prevent farmers again competing on the world market for a growing demand for meat. It`s an economic nonsense where countries such as Brazil, Argentina, Australia etc. are more than happy gearing up to supply.

It just another of the EU living in a different biosphere nonsense where global emissions are concerned.

You really do not have even the most basic understanding between trade and economics do you.

If the EU or European government want to shoot themselves in both feet economically on trade based on global emissions there are plenty out there that will be more than happy to take up the slack. Ecomonic powerhouses such as China and Japan have made it clear their priority is their economies. Germany weren`t slow to react, going back to coal when their economy was threatened, even if closing their remaining nuclear plants defies any kind of logic.

You are absolutely correct that neither Ireland or the EU control the global strategy on emissions. The plain truth is that the vast majority of the global populations governments don`t give as much as a fir for Ireland or EU strategy. When push comes to shove for major corporations that spout so much about their committments on emissions when it comes to their bottom line, from Carbon Market Watch, neither do they with nothing more than greenwashing. This idea by Eamon Ryan that these government will suddenly recognise how right he is and change their ways is a fairytale. The same applies to EU green driven policy.

I have repeatedly told you what my proposal is. You just keep ignoring it. Ireland or the EU is not living in its own little bioshere. If it is a global problem then it requires a global solution. Not one where some are wrecking their economies, have unsecure energy supply and are tinkering with food security while othhers are more than happy taking advantage.

I was talking about China generating what it needs with the 2 egg basket reference. Not them going cap in hand to others hoping they will have something to give when needed.

"Eventually" is one of those words used by dreamers to avoid giving specifics, and right now looking at an increase in China`s emissions likely to be an all time high this year, eventually is probably a word not dreammy enough to describe your hoped for eventuallity.

We are going geothermal, when did this happen and with Irish greens such as yourself so oppossed to LNG due to fracking how do you square that circle? Not really that interested tbh as it looks just like more green pie in the sky.

Edit. Your mention of nuclear just reminded me that not long ago I`m preetty sure you mentioned Finland, a country with the same population as Ireland in relation to their percentage of electricity from nuclear and how much it cost. Perhaps you would be good enough to do so again. I saw it at the time, but didn`t have the time then to look into it.

Post edited by charlie14 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I see the green activists were out in force last night in church town dublin- damaging property by letting air out of SUVs.

Hard working people woke up to flat tyres on cars this morning due to the green extremists.

How far will they be allowed go before someone gets hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

All fine in the name of saving a polar bear or worshiping at the alter of the sainted Greta

It would make an eye-catching election poster 😎

The Green's deliberate decimation of the forest industry compounded by not having a forest planting programme for the first time in the history of the state. Minister Hacker is also being advised by non-foresters, including one snake oil merchant who is known to lay his hands on a tree and with tears welling in his eyes loudly proclaim that her can feel the life force of the tree enter his body. Sick fuckery, reliably recounted to my by a senior Forest Service Inspector.

No more Green fuckery.

Has this been posted?

While thousands of cubic metres of dying ash and unfelled sitka languishing because Hacker cannot get her act together. Thousands of applications to fell dying ash are just sitting in the department of Ag.

Green bullshit and the Sec. General as well as Ass sec should be fired for maladministration. Jailed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Your trust in China is touching. They have turned greentech scams into a fine art. For years shady relationships between manufacturers, financiers and electric car sharing companies have been set up to bilk government subsidies. Hundreds of thousands of brand new EVs sit rotting on fields and hillsides.

A frenzied price war among conventional automakers in advance of the new National 6B emissions regulations coming into effect next month will likely see a load more conventional cars scrapped too:

It's not just crappy sub-standard car sharing EVs being scrapped either. Big manufacturers like BYD have been boosting sales figures by registering new vehicles, putting them through national car tests for two or three years, then leaving them to rot undriven ...

China's centrally planned economy is no less subject to the madness of crowds than anywhere else, perhaps even more so. In the mid 2010s they decided they were going to dominate the EV market and poured trillions of yuan of government subsidies into EV makers. New automakers sprang up all over to suck from the public tit. They've been going bust just as quick:

Good luck to you if you're looking to China as a greentech exemplar. The environmental cost of all this madness is shocking. It's an out-of-control economy run by an incompetent (but rotten to the core) government hell bent on nothing but self-preservation and big money scams. Not surprised Eamon Ryan gets taken in by them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

General public not convinced by much of the tripe regurgitated on this thread

What was the percentage share of the voting intentions for the greens in the same Ipsos MRBI/Irish Times opinion polls. Going by what you posted it must have been around 27% ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I mean the regurgitated Green Party press releases. The recent polling for the Green Party is horrific, 4% or so in the polls but the least transfer friendly.

I am a supporter of climate action but not through the Irish Green Party's proposals of taxing people and banning stuff.

• Advertisement

Where are the regurgitated GP press releases on this thread?

I am a supporter of climate action but not through the Irish Green Party's proposals of taxing people and banning stuff.

Which taxes have the GP proposed?

What items are the GP banning?

Ireland is the 13th most attractive country in the world for renewable energy investments, according to a survey by EY

On a normalised basis, we are 6th

You can view the EY report here

Apologies for taking you up incorrectly. My bad.

The best that could be said for the Irish Green Party from political opinion polls is that the electorate are completely indifferent to them if it was not for the level of vote transfer toxicity. That shows a high dislike/distrust of them and their policies. I would be very much in that category. I do not have much time for puritan ideologies, especially those that target young children and scare the life out of them.Their silence on their highlighting "shock troops" antics doesn`t much endear me to them either.

I have no problem with climate action, but I do have a problem with a puritan cult whose first order of the day is to kill off any proposals other than theirs on energy and food security, and that cannot even give costings for their proposals which will have serious implications for the next generation. Not that their bookkeeping is any great surprise. For a group that talks so much about science, when it comes to mathematics it`s a science they are happy to ignore when the figures do not suit.

"Where are the regurgitated GP press releases on this thread ?"

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...........😎

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

And then posts two party press releases in the very next post. Couldn't make it up.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Are there alternative costed proposals we can look at, taking into account the needs of future generations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭prunudo

Money money money, always follow the money. So the investment firms are saying we're great lot, I wouldn't necessarily be taking that as a ringing endorsement, the people's who's job jt is to make money and exploit situations for their own benefits like what see of the good people of Ireland.

Alternative by definition is : "One or more thing available as another possibility of choice".

Seeing as Irish greens are unable or unwilling to provide the costing for their proposals, then it is not possible unfortunately..

Any idea as to why they cannot provide costings. Are they unwilling to do so for some reason, or do they not have the first clue as to the financial costs of their proposals ?

When they are getting twice the strike price they are getting in Scotland then it`s no great mystery.

• Advertisement

Advertisement