Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

Also you haven’t explained what new tram lines and stations were opened last year

Still on the strawman arguments I see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No, just pointing out where people are spreading misinformation.

Have I denied any of what you say?

I am stating that June was a fantastic month for warm weather and it must have been equally fantastic 83 years ago as that was when the previous record was from.

On top of that I’m wondering if the media and people were screaming about climate change back then, or were they just happy with warm weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

That is the old selling indulgences scam, it will collapse in the same manner, as it eventually did for the Catholic church. It is only possible to price scarce commodities (labour, land etc.) the world is demanding more energy not less. There is an emphasis on energy efficiency for sure, everything points to more energy being consumed now and in the future so how to use energy efficiently is the "burning" question. The market (that is all of us) will not bide by artificial restrictions or de-growth schemes and in a democracy will vote accordingly, therefore, it is necessary for democratic politicians to corrupt the scheme or face the wrath of the electorate. My prediction is the EU as it currently stand will collapse by the 2030s , and this will be one of the factors behind that collapse, what order comes out of that collapse I can't say at this stage.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Europe now will have access to the worlds biggest phosphate store thanks to a discovery in Norway

Great news for agriculture in particular and should mean and end to dependence on imports from outside the EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I can’t see how the ETS or the CRM is like Peter’s Pence.

Your basic advice is that Ireland should leave the constraints of the EU as soon as possible and build a big dyke around Diblin because stopping climate change is impossible. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Well, it's offical -- Ireland is getting sued under the Energy Charter Treaty for Eamon Ryan's decision on Barryroe according to Lansdowne Oil and Gas, one of the Barryroe partners. The other partner can't sue under the ECT because they are a domestic company, but will likely be seeking an alternative route to litigation.

Just to add a source

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Can't see them succeeding but we'll have to wait and see. I mean the requirements were there for them to meet, they couldn't, c'est la vie.

One thing is for sure, it's going to lead to more and more calls for Ireland to abandon the ECT which is no bad thing imho

In the meantime Barryroe are 24 days away from liquidation......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Far as I remember there was a ewspaper article on this requirement sometime ago (Irish Times ?) where it was said that requirement was at the discretion of the Minister. If that is correct, Eamo could have an uncomfortable day in court.

I`m sure he will be asked to show evidence of where this requirement was applied to other offshore enterprises. Far as I remember, were you not asked the same here but couldn`t answer ?

were you not asked the same here but couldn`t answer

Indeed I was and I responded saying I was not aware of any public source for that info (the full contents of the application and decision criteria) on an application by application basis where that would allow for the query to be answered. I asked previously if anyone knew of such a source, nobody answered.

Given the details in the applications would contain commercially sensitive info I'm highly doubtful if it will ever be publicly available, but maybe you know otherwise and can point to a source

Alas I suspect this response will be twisted into something akin to "omfg look, he won't answer, wtf derp derp!!1!!". It was the last time lol

• Advertisement

Gas prices are down right now but are unlikely to remain so due to a number of factors, not least because producers in the US have shuttered a lot of oil and gas rigs.

How much the increase will be is anyone's guess

Makes no odds as we're paying way over the wholesale price now for gas due to hedging. Gas could go to nothing and it would make no difference. Perhaps 6/12 months in the future things may change

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DJoSullivan79

A warm June where temperatures peak at 28.8c is the effects of climate change? Bring it on... more of this please.

Interestingly I am currently reading PK Rohan's excellent book - "The Climate of Ireland" published in 1975. In the book on page 4 he refers to past climate change events - notably what he titled "The Climatic Optimum" where he discusses the warmest epoch of the Post-Glacial times; "It culminated between 5000 BC and 3000BC where the annual temperature in Europe was 2C warmer than now [1975]"

Very interesting that a Europe 2c warmer than the then used 1941-1970 climatic period was considered an optimum but going forward a 2c warmer Europe is now going to be considered a disaster according to some quarters!

I recall many bitching about how long it was taking for Barryroe to get a decision on the licence.

According to this report Eirgrid were waiting 3 years so Barryroe did quite well with their wait. I guess they were a special case in that respect

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DJoSullivan79

"“At times of high wind generation output, it is expected that wind generation will displace conventional generation on the system in order of economic merit, while respecting operational constraints,” it added."

From the article linked.

In other words, they've paid in excess of €1m to consider laying a power line in the bed of the Shannon Estuary that we'll carry significant power levels over said cables at selected times of the year - i.e. when the wind blows enough to outcompete Moneypoint on cost. I guess higher wholesale electricity prices going forward will determine the economic viability of said project. No doubt political interference in wholesale prices of electricity will play a big part in this. Customers be damned - you're paying on the bill for this fantasy.

If you do not know if Ryan requested proof of the same requirements of every other offshore enterprise as he did of Barryroe, it doesn`t really matter. But with the State being sued under the ECT, and he didn`t for even one of those, then the excuse of commercially sensitive info is not going to get the State out of a very expensive hole.

If that article in, as far as I recall, The Irish Times is correct and that the requirements are not written in stone but are at the Minister`s discretion, then I really do not see how he could come up with anything that would keep us out of that very expensive hole. If this goes tits up under the ECT, and Larry Goodman waiting in the wings, even the expensive hole would look like chicken feed.

That particular poster has a tendency to fire up links without fully reading what they say before doing so.

On the dire warnings link from Met Eireann, there is a link for the Met Eireann weather forecast for the first 7 days of July. Saturday 14C, Sunday 16C, Monday 13C, Tuesday 16C, Wednesday 16C, Thursday 18C, Friday 17C.

Nobody is going to be using pavements to fry eggs in Ireland next week.

Just seen there that wind met 21% of our electricity during June. Which, isn't too bad really. Then I remembered it was the warmest June on record and we hit 21%. And apparently our weather is going to get warmer, which usually means less wind. Then why is wind being pushed so much as the saviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don’t think anybody says wind is a savior.

However the wind does blow a lot more in the winter.

Winter isn't a year. Will we use all the power we create?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

An environmental campaign commentator on the radio last week, when talking about limiting each person's air travel, blamed the floods from the thunderstorms in Kerry, on climate change.

Any time a person like that blames a localised weather event in Ireland on climate change, they need to be nailed over it, cos it's absolute nonsense.

We cannot let this narrative of a storm here or a snow day there or a 28C afternoon in June, being as a result of climate change and not just seasonal weather stand. Not when they are not, in fact, at all extreme.

Ireland's weather records:

Highest Air Temperature - 1976

Lowest Ground Temperature - 1982

Highest Annual Rain Total - 1960

Highest Hourly Rain Record - 1986

Lowest Annual Rain Total - 1887

Longest absolute drought (<0.1mm) 6 weeks in 1938

Highest mean wind speed and Highest wind gust - 1945

Most sunshine in a month - 1955

Most prolonged period of widespread snow - mid December 1962 to early March 1963.

Don't be afraid to fight weather and climate scaremongering that uses bad data.

Quiet you. Didn't you know June was the hottest June on record. We're screwed. I'm going out to shoot a few cows

Don’t you know it’s our fault Canada's wildfires are out off control due to climate change and Ireland being on course to miss its 2030 targets:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

.....whats the fcuking point in saying anything here, ignorance just wants to remain ignorant!

Can someone explain what the anomalies line mean or represent and why it's referencing a subset of the data?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah yeah, wear your stripes.

I'm aware that global average temperatures are rising. I accept that the science is solid and the trend is established. I believe it is an enormous challenge for humanity.

But I also believe the following:

Earth's climate has always changed. The big difference now is that there are 8 Billion of us to feed, clothe, shelter and employ. At the end of the last ice age, just 11,000 years ago, we were just 4 Million.

Earth's climate, both globally and locally has historically been affected by far larger catalysts than human CO2 generation, namely solar activity, the radiation changes of outer space, ocean current temps and salination and natural catastrophes like volcanic eruptions. If you think man-made greenhouse gases are bad, research the effect Krakatoa had on 19th Century Earth. Its scarcely comprehensible!

And so, it is far more a societal and civilisational issue than a climate dominated one.

I also believe the cost of attempting to avoid global temperature rise, will be far greater than that of mitigating the effects.

Foisting that cost, and indeed the lions share of the responsibility, on the poorest and weakest units of the economy, ie on individual households, is nothing less than an existential threat to societal cohesion.

And so, beyond innovation in public commercial energy, I think the current climate agenda should be stopped before it becomes a focal point for the kind of civil division and disorder we see in France just now.

Our priorities as a global community need a significant reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The parallels between green ideology and actual religion from 30/40 years ago are hard to ignore. The high priests of moral virtue are now the high priests of green virtue pontificating on the same radio programs. There's a heaven (climate change stopped, 15 minute cities, no cars) that we can get to if only we personally make sacrifices in our lives. (This is why they ignore arguments about what China, US and India are doign, even though they are the only countries that matter in this).

It's must be hard to deny, even for the climate zealots, that a lot of this is about replacing the sense of purpose and meaning that religion used to give people in their personal lives. In that context, the facts will never matter to those people. There's something else going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I think 'anomalies' is probably the wrong word here. It is a useless term. I think they mean 'average', sometimes refered to as 'normal' which is another wrong word to use. So, looking at the average it has indeed gotten a tad warmer in Ireland, likely in the range of 0.5 to 0.8C over the decades. I hope every june will be like this year's and i much appreciate the slight rise in temperature. Every morning i run to the shore to look out for the millions of climate refugees that were predicted. None are forthcoming. Just Ukrainians.

Just wait long enough and the temperature will go down again. We humans are so arrogant to think we are a main driver of the climate. The ignorance about the science involved is frankly amazing. All trickled down to a set of models the general public can gobble up in bite size portions, tied to Co2. If it wasnt so sad it would be laughable..

And finally some food for thought: we live in an interglacial period. On average they last between 10.000 and 15.000 years. We are lucky but coming to the end of it at some point in the future. Then it is crisis time for humans. The greens might just be the only ones cheering. They hate humans. For them it is a fight between the benign Nature and the evil Humans and hope the former wins. Well, in a way they are right, nature always wins but that is because we are in fact not in the game..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

You don't know what you are looking at in that synthetic chart. Did you pay attention to the y-axis scale?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

The graph makes it look that something is very different. Look at all those reds! But then, as always one has to look at the y and x lines. By presenting reds and blues they create a 'norm' line of 0 whatever that means. A better way would be to leave that out and just give the average for each year. And then an average is just a statistic which is rather meaningless, literally. It has no meaning unless you attach one to it. But just like w average global temperatures and average sea rises the alarmists can always put up a graph that makes it appear worse than it is. The irony is that they often cherrypick the data while at the same time accusing skeptics of doing the same thing. THAT is their real crime, Michael Mann and the hockey stick being a perfect example. But the Greens are losing momentum as the traditional political parties are getting hammered in elections and are slowly shifting away from the Green Agenda and the Greens in general as it is clearly the road to destruction. People feel that. But right now they are still doubling down, just like they are on the Ukraine conflict. It is not sustainable. Most people will come to realise that. The truth is clear to see..

Advertisement