Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Well it's more than 7m3. It's probably 7m in width and easily 30m in length. I might step it out in a few weeks when I go over to see. I know when yer at one end and starting up a row it's a long way to the other end. But head down and arse up is the only way to tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Statistics anlysed by Cheapest Oil Northern Ireland is that an average 3 bedroom terrace house will use around 1,300 litres a year, while a 5 bedroom detached will use around double that.

Average price in Ireland today for oil is €478.63 for 500 litres, so that would leave the cost for a 3 bedroom terrace at €1245.For a 5 bedroom detached, double that.

Minimum saving at that would be €945 for a few hours work.out in the fresh air.

How many kWh of energy would you get for your €300?

1300 liters of oil is about 13000 kWh. That’s 10 cubic meters of turf, to generate the same amount of heat? Really more because of losses in the fireplace being higher than the oil boiler.

That’s a cube 7ft by 7ft by 7ft of turf sods by my reckoning. It sounds like a lot of work to me (and you also have to clean and dispose of the ash after the burning). All in all it’s at least 100 hours work over the season, probably 200. Fine if you haven’t anything better to do I suppose.

I know the trailer size. A level load would be 10.8m3 (12'*8'*4') and the loads are piled high, which of course means more m3 per load. Last year there was nearly 3 loads - 2 full and one up over the sides but not piled high. I suspect this year to be much the same. Lets say 2.5 loads which would give me 27m3. Using your calculations, that's 2700l of oil, or around €2700ish.

I don't know where you are getting the 200 hours. As I said, 5 hours to foot and bring it home. Then 5 minutes to bring out ashes and bring in turf a day. Lets say it's done every day that's ~31 hours/year (365 days * 5mins).

• Advertisement

And you saved, loaded, unloaded all that in five hours. That’s great going.

That is 27 kg per day of turf for your theoretical year, and another 10 kg or so of ash. It will take a very fit person to gather, move and stack 27 kg of turf from an outside shed to an inside room, clear ash, set a fire, transport the ash back outside and clean up after themselves in 5 minutes.

Yeah. I'd say 4 hours would foot it and 20 mins to load the trailer. Bring it home, tip it in the shed, tighten up with the tractor, job done. I dunno where ya get 27kg of turf a day from either. Burn what's necessary. Ash is in a tray. Tip into turf bucket and take it out and dump. Fill bucket on the way back in and leave it by the fire. 5 minutes, tops. My well past the pension age mother will do all the ins and outs. I wouldn't say she's very fit, but no slouch all the same!

27 cubic meters of turf is 10 tonnes, give or take? 10,000kg / 365 is 27 kg.

I just don’t understand how you are avoiding the cost of the oil without very considerable physical work being involved.

Again, didn't say they'd burn it all in a year. Burn what's needed. I use a bit myself for my stove. The neighbours will buybe gifted a few bags too through the year.

I'm avoiding the cost of oil by getting turf cut on my own bank for €300. I could buy all the oil in the world and the house still wouldn't have hot water as it's not plumbed into the oil burner (€8000 for that work plus new oil boiler). Need the fire for heating water. Having the fire on throughout the day keeps the water hot and the house heated. The oil doing the same would redden the rads, then they'd cool and the heat be gone shortly after the oil is turned off. I can't tell you how many hours per day the oil would have to be on for a comparison. I'd say roughly 5 or 6 though (and still no hot water for sinks/bath). The fire going keeps the place warm all day.

I'll admit now I got the trailer size wrong earlier. Something seemed off in my maths and I went out to measure it. It's 3' high, not 4 as stated. I think the calculation then is 8.15m3 per load (not including the piling over the sides), and not 10.8m3 as previously declared. 2.5 loads gives 20.3m3 of turf or roughly €2,000 in oil value. That then is a saving of about €1,700, plus no guarantee that €2,000 would cover the oil bill to go all oil (plus no hot water remember!).

Big proposals for the Shannon Estuary in the renewables sector

A study published this weekend by a group examining the economic development potential of the Shannon Estuary region claims a green energy hub harnessing an unlimited supply of Atlantic wind could bring 50,000 jobs to the area.

The Shannon Estuary Economic Taskforce report, launched by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Energy Minister Eamon Ryan, suggests developing the hub will provide a solution to issues associated with climate change and help with energy security and demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

"100bn of private investment" thats serious money, in capital expenditure that will have to be paid back

I was wondering when ya'd post that. Any idea how unlimited power via wind would create 50k jobs? Would it be the same if we built many power stations burning coal/oil/gas/nuclear?

Ah you know yourself, it's likely a big chunk are temp construction jobs. It's the same with every jobs related announcement.

I haven't looked at the report itself yet so no idea if its broken down further

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

A typical shift in a conventional power station has 5-10 staff in operation, for 3 shifts a day plus a few that are on their rest days. Even at a generous 50 staff per site, you'd be a long time making 50,000 jobs. I can't see how you'd need anything near that many for unmanned wind turbines apart from during outage windows.

I'm assuming it's 50,000 jobs during construction only - almost all from overseas and then the tax from 50,000 other workers to make sure that the precious private investors make profits building unnecessary wind at the wrong part of the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

From someone who posts HTML metadata, you never read what you post. The glossy brochure for you to ignore is here. It's the usual "high quality" green jobs delusion that politicians like to announce, later on the when called to task as the green jobs don't occur, they will reclassify people who drive electric vehicles for a living as green jobs. Not a word about the jobs they destroy due to high energy prices.

You missed this part.

Natural Gas Security of Supply

Recommend that final ‘Security of Supply’ report provides clarity on how security-of-supply for gas supplies into the Irish system will be achieved both in terms of supply and storage.

Recommend that Government should finalise and publish its position on LNG import and storage as a matter of urgency given the significance of this to our particular region.

Natural gas is the accepted transition fuel to net zero and provides the flexibility and backup the grid requires for the medium term. Many large employers in the region require gas for process heating. To compete globally, this gas must be secure, cost-competitive, and increasingly green.

LNG is quite a dilemma for the coalition partners (i.e. FF & FG), wanting to cling to power while at the same time deflecting blame to the Greens. The zealots were out recently in Mayo to greet Eamon Ryan and Mary Robinson. I noted this comment from a Green party supporter and CEO of the local franchise of the multinational NGO Friends of the Earth implying that the use of unreasonable means to further their cause.

Oisín Coghlan, chief executive of Friends of the Earth, said he was increasingly scared about climate change and that “being moderate about the issue has not worked”.

Addressing the conference, he added: “Disruptive direct protests and actions clearly have a role to play. Actions need to be increasingly unreasonable in order to save the future for ourselves and our children.”

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The enforced energy transition is just one factor destabilising European governments.

Mark Rutte hands in resignation to the king after coalition collapse

Rutte's coalition government, the fourth he has led, took office in January 2022 following the longest coalition negotiations in Dutch political history.

The election for the lower house of the Dutch parliament later this year will take place in a polarized and splintered political landscape — there are 20 parties in the 150-seat lower house.

During provincial elections earlier this year, a populist pro-farmer party put Rutte’s party into second place. The defeat was seen as a possible incentive for Rutte to do his utmost to hold together his coalition until its term ends in 2025.

How does everyone feel today? after all, we survived the hottest day 'evah' intact, did you put your trust in the output of computer generated climate models?

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Thursday issued a note of caution about the Maine tool’s findings, saying it could not confirm data that results in part from computer modeling, saying it wasn’t a good substitute for observations.

Scientists don’t understand and haven’t delved much into daily fluctuations, said Princeton University climate scientist Gabriel Vecchi. Much more meaningful to them are global data over months, years and especially decades. source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I can't describe the complete contempt I have for wallies like him. He's scared of something that isn't happening, so straight off the bat he's coming from a place of irrational fear. Couple that with his unwavering belief that he knows what's required to make everything better and you have a dangerous mix.

C. S. Lewis said it better than anyone ever could

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I didn't think the 50k potential jobs would be on manning the power source, or even construction. I assumed, maybe wrongly, that as a result of the off shore turbines with unlimited power generation potential that jobs would be created in businesses as a result. That's the part I don't get cos if ya put up a big dirty coal burning plant to produce as much power as ya'd need then those same jobs could be created. And personally I don't think a lack of power in Ireland is resulting in thousands of jobs not being created. It all seems like horseshit, like a lot of previous promises in the Shannon region

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Rutte has been very succesful in winning elections. Not by having a majority but by playing out the fractured minority dutch parties. His party ( the VVD) has been able to move with the tide in a coalition format. The recent upheavel in the form of the strong rise of the BBB in provincial elections made it clear Rutte had to make a move, and he arranged a pre -emptive strike so he simply collapsed the government. Now, as Prime Minister he can elect a formation official to test the waters of the individual parties on which points they are able to negotiate. It might be that the BBB (the farmer/citizen movement) will feel the need to compromise to be in a majority coalition. That might actually be a step too far for a lot of voters, like myself who feel that more resistance is needed against the EU globalists and the net zero crowd. The leader of the BBB has indicated she is willing to play ball w them. I take that as a bad sign. There is actually one guy who is important and outside the main parties and that is Peter Omtzigt. He has a huge following and is broadly admired. If he starts his own party the next election will be very interesting ( as it will be anyway)..

I would not see it as any great surprise that some of these fringe outfits of the greens are now advocating these so called "Disruptive direct protests and actions" . That has been the modus operandi of cults down through the generations. First they preach and when not enough comply with their world view then it`s a ramping up of intimidation and terror to force compliance.

There was a lot of dissent from the more radical elements of the greens to entering government in 2020 that reminded me of that old saying of Brendan Behan`s that the first item on any Irish organisation`s agenda was "the split" and that has been bubbling away outside and inside their political party since.

All political party`s have that problem, but for those in the political center it`s more a case of whatever they lose on the swings they make up for on the roundabout. For parties on the Irish overcrowded left it`s not that simple where they have a tendency to implode and these calls from the likes of the Oisin Coghlan or the actions of these tyre deflators, Extinction Rebellion etc is not going to get votes from the center.

Whether Eamon Ryan now recognises that and his statement in Ballina was an attempt to reel these groups in or whether it was just his reaction to him being personally confronted by a few kids in Ballina after getting a bit of a roasting in Trinity College from Extinction Rebellion is difficult to tell. Either way it`s most likely too little too late to stop the rot of them being politically eaten from the inside out.

• Advertisement

Looks like the EU is about to walk away en masse from the ECT

With some pushing the UK to follow

There's also a suggestion that if they all walked away they could agree not to apply the sunset clause to each other, though I'm not sure how that would stand up legally

Even under the reformed conditions the E.U. has to give 10 years notice, and with the way the E.U. is going it`s questionable if it will be around in 10 years time.

It still will not mean that under the treaty Eamon Ryan will not have some explaining to do or that the state could not end up having to pay out €1 Bn +

Another day, another System Alert (Amber). This time in Northern Ireland, where the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining, even if it is their lowest demand week of the year.

The greens have that covered. Well at least for the same week next year and subsequent years.

Patrick Costello, Green Party T.D. wants us to declare the 12th of July a national holiday so next year they can all come to the Republic to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Costello is away with the fairies if he thinks the religious bigots will come down here, then what, build their bonfires here, and put whose poster on top? We certainly don’t need this religious hatred here.

If Costello is so adamant, then let him go up the shankhill and march behind the sash.

Anyone up there with any sense (on both sides) already gets out and goes to Donegal for the week. I guess we'll have to allocate the extra carbon to NI and cull a few locals to make room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

The irony of a green TD trying to champion a celebration that involves the burning of 10s of thosuands of pallets, polluting the air and needlessly wasting resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Those who want reduction in carbon emissions haven't explained what difference they think it would make.

If carbon emissions are damaging the environment then what's the point of reducing them - as opposed to eliminating them? It's like saying a 20-a-day smoker's health will improve if he or she reduces the habit to 6 or 7 a day.

I had the pleasure of sharing the Larne to Stranraer car ferry with some of their Scottish brethern on their way home on the 13th once. If he misses the 12th on the Shankill because of a bus table mix-up or a bicycle puncture he could still make it to Larne the following day. Either would be an eye-opener for him.

Green`s seem to be now operating on the principle that any publicity is good publicity, rather than 9 out of 10 times politically it`s shooting yourself in the foot. In this case not only did Costello shot himself in one foot, he reloaded and did the other one as well.

He is a T.D. for Dublin South Central, was he on another planet for the 2006 Love Ulster Dublin march

• Advertisement

The answer to this has been explained in excruciating and boring detail, many times. This is basically what the Paris Treaty is all about.

Advertisement