Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

Interesting, I can't really speak to privately owned ones, I was more referring to publicly owned i.e. BnM bogs.

Also, just as a follow up on your public buildings solar comment from earlier, I came across this tweet a short while ago

Not so much in Google maps, but in OSM if you go into the edit menu and select newer imagery, you can see the progress of solar installations on the NUIG campus on some of the buildings, example below. Note the orange circle is called out in the tweet, but nothin is visible yet so its probably a newer installation

You can see similar in UCC also

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Siemens did come out last month with statements about issues concerning the bigger windmills. Pushing the envelope apparently has consequences. Shares plummeted..

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/siemens-energy-ceo-setback-turbine-troubles-more-severe-than-thought-possible-2023-06-23/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

A shortfall in taxation should be met with a reduction in government spending, not dream up new taxes to keep putting their grubby hands into people’s pockets.

I wouldn’t put it past them to introduce a “temporary” Universal Green Charge, similar to the “temporary” USC. You know, just until this climate emergency has been fully tackled.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Make no mistake, the only reason Kildare Street wants this is to generate more revenue.

Nothing more, nothing less.

A rather odd religion w the likes of Blackrock setting the rules. A once in a lifetime opportunity to set the rules and control ESG labeling. Fcuk the little ones. Dream BIG. How big does Blackrock think they can get? Huge it seems.

• Advertisement

Like Nixon's 'temporary' halt of the dollar to gold linkage. Or the 'temporary' quantative easing..

In my area there are quite a lot of ( i think) playing areas created. Plastic overheads over aluminium frames. Some sort of climbing rack for the wee ones i guess or a kind of shelter but funnily enough nowhere near bus stops. Or maybe a hangout for teenies to eat their chips and pizza slices out of the rain. Somebody said they are meant for bicycles but that seems a bit far fetched..😊

A shortfall in taxation should be met with a reduction in government spending, not dream up new taxes to keep putting their grubby hands into people’s pockets.

I'm pretty sure some of the folks on the roads forum who have coronaries if you suggested further cuts to roads funding. Some lads there haven't stopped crying for the last few years since roads spending was slashed

I wouldn’t put it past them to introduce a “temporary” Universal Green Charge, similar to the “temporary” USC. You know, just until this climate emergency has been fully tackled.

If it would speed things up, lash ahead 👍️

Err, well, yeah, was that not clear, thought it was. These changes will be made to replace the lost taxes due to the collapse of the ICE car market and lower fossil fuel consumption due to this plus the switch to heat pumps plus increase in renewable power generation.

Right now a lot of taxes are raised on the polluting elements of society and as we wean ourselves off that pollution those taxes have to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They want motorists to move from ICE to EVs by increasing the tax on those heavyweight EVs? Who dreamt that up? The same genius that wants to penalise homeowners for having poor BER ratings and can't afford to retrofit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@[Deleted User]

I'm pretty sure some of the folks on the roads forum who have coronaries if you suggested further cuts to roads funding. Some lads there haven't stopped crying for the last few years since roads spending was slashed

Tell them that slashed roads budget also means no more conversions into cycle lanes. That should cheer them up 😁

• Advertisement

Roads are paid for from general taxation though. Where the cuts are made should be on a cost benefit analysis. Should the government spend billions on adding insulation or build cheap reliable gas powered generation? I know where I'd spend it.

By the way, they are not lost taxes, it's money they were never going to get from their own policies. Or can we add the grants and low/no tax as another subsidy to the renewable sector? Honestly, you can't claim they are lost when they never planned on getting it in the first place.

It's the exact same geniuses who pushed diesel as a "cleaner" fuel for cars.

Stick whatever name ya want on them. The govt has chosen their own "Potential fiscal impacts of the transition to a lower carbon economy in Ireland"

It's a very informative document

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Looks like those telling us how trouble free wind turbine construction and maintainance was, and by replacing a few bits and bobs they would last forever compared to nuclear missed this.

Trouble with bearings, blades and crack that involves 15% - 30% of their turbines both onshore and offshore that will take at least €1 Bn. to fix. This on top of a €940 M. loss in 2022 and a €627 M. loss in 2021.

Their not alone though. General Electric Renewable Energy lost $2.24 Bn. and Vestas €1,572 M. in 2022 yet, some here were insisting turbine prices were going to keep getting cheaper

Chinese turbine manufacturers seem to be going well, but then cheap energy always gives those using it the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

So no retort ? That proves I've hit the nail exactly on the head then. This proves how much the greens hate humanity

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You do realise that after 15 years they will still own the turbines and still be getting paid for the electricity. It's a longer term investment

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The orange bit in the general breakdown of offshore wind farms is how much turbines cost. Blades are 1.3%, Gearbox 0.7%, Generator 1% and even then refurbishing would cost less than replacement.

For that wind farm the economic case for refurbishing the blades on the 28 rotors was dwarfed by the economic case for generating 5 times as much power on the same site using about half the number of turbines.

The purple bit is O&M which is highly dependent on the number of turbines.

https://guidetoanoffshorewindfarm.com/wind-farm-costs

The subsidies Tell me how, it's the subsidies, they are off the scale for green policies

And they are all going to private companies

I see how you've conveniently skipped installation costs and there is Zero monies allocated to cleanup and remediation

What you need to do is find company accounts where this has actually been done where every single cost down to the cent will be accounted for to minimize taxation

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very interesting to observe that the Tories managed to hang on to Boris Johnson's old seat with a new candidate, solely as a result of a backlash by Londoner's against the Ultra Low Emissions Zone and its champion, the Labour London Mayor.

• Advertisement

The Greens do not really care about all of this. In their eyes solar and wind are paramount. It is the solution, the Way if you will. They want to halt the historical path of more efficient and reliable energy for the people because in their blinkered view it is tied to capitalism and colonialism. They are willing to sacrify everything on the Green altar, prosperity, industry, people and even the environment (habitat) itself to get to their goal. This used to be a fringe, now it is mainstream. Collective madness. But it will come to nothing. They still need the cooperation of the majority of the people who reject the Green police state. No matter how many laws are put in place by unelected bureaucrats or how many means of compliance measures will be put in place, the resistance will simply grow too big. The tide is already turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The part I found interesting there are the "other" costs. What are they? And that maintenance & service is the highest %. That's like a lot of industries where the initial purchase is "cheap" but they ride ya on the servicing

Yes but it can't be called lost taxes when it's a direct result of government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So sick of reading BS like this that has no bearing in reality.

In the effed up mind of some, the people crying out for the protection of the environment are willing to sacrifice...............the environment to get to their goal. That doesn't make any sort of sense.

Absolute turgid waffle the likes of which we've seen increase more and more in recent years with disastrous consequences. A couple of key 'free thinker' buzzwords thrown in there about police states and unelected bureaucrats and you're 90% of the way to right wing article or monologue that all too often is given excessive coverage in todays world.

Utterly utterly depressing to think that this type of view is as prevalent as it is.

Tell me this, outside of the US political cesspit, since when is having an opinion, on the climate debate, one way or the other a left v right debate?

You can be against the WEF globalisation policies, the EUs batshit crazy NetZero, and the self destructive energy strategy they are currently employing. While also supporting social measures for the less well off and nationalised health systems. There's not a limitless pot of money for politicians to divvy up and spend as they see fit. Pumping 100's of billions into renewables, that are expensive and unreliable, means there's less money being spent on other programs that might actually make people's lives better.

On a 15 year contract they will only be getting paid for 15 years. After that they would need to get a new contract.

Any company pricing a 15 year contract does so based on the initial capital cost + operational costs + their profit margin over those 15 years. They do not do so based on what may or may not happen after those 15 years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

To correct the record, roads funding has actually increased in recent years. It was c. 730m between 2015 and 2021 under the 2015-2021 Capital Plan and increased to c. 1bn between 2021 and 2025 under the new plan.

Roads funding isn't just for evil motorists driving around destroying the environment. It has many benefits for causes that environmentalists would like. Let me explain through the projects to be built 2020-2025.

N5 Westport-Turlough: Removes traffic from the town of Westport and the outskirts of Castlebar, enabling them to become more pedestrian and cyclist friendly. Improves bus journey times from Westport to other towns in the North West.

N22 Ballyvourney-Macroom: Removes traffic from Ballyvourney and Ballymakeera, and significant volumes from the town of Macroom. Significantly improves bus journey times between Cork and Killarney/Tralee or Kerry in general time. Bus times between Killarney and Cork are now quite attractive.

N69 Listowel bypass/N59 Moycullen bypass: Removes through traffic from the towns of Listowel and Moycullen

M21 Limerick-Foynes: Removes significant volumes of traffic from the heritage town of Adare, and the village of Croagh. Removes heavy traffic from the N69 to Foynes Port, reducing truck volumes through Kilcornan, Clarina, Mungret. Significantly improves bus journey times between Limerick and Kerry, and Dublin and Kerry.

I've omitted the N5 Ballaghaderren-Scramoge which is a 35km road safety realignment through Roscommon to take the N5 away from the world hertiage site of Rathcrogan and the Dunkettle Interchange which is a TEN-T Core route improvement to address congestion in Cork.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41186488.html

That does not answer what I asked you though.

You appeared to suggest (as you still do) that those 28 turbines were being replaced by 14 larger turbines with larger blades and larger nacelles, that would be 5 times more powefull using the original towers and bases. To use you own analogy on planes, that would be the same as replacing a Piper Cherokee engine with an Airbus A380 engine and expect no structural damage to the Piper Cherokee during flight.

If that is really what you are suggesting then it is very dodgy engineering. Especially when you see Siemens "go bigger" problems at the moment set to cost them over €1 Bn.

Other than those 28 turbines, blades and nacelles being replaced by 14 larger on new towers deigned to carry those extra compression and tensil stresses on bases designed to the same specifications it is engineering with a death wish.

So really, is it not the case that everything on that site will have to be replaced, with all the old units having to be torn down leaving the only saving being the road into the site, again provided it is capable of handlng those larger loads. ?

Offshore there are no roads so even that financial saving would not be possible

Now that the planning rules have changed the IFA are starting to roll out information and demonstration events for farmers looking to set up solar on their farms/farm buildings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This first sentence, as with so many ‘facts’ in this thread, is untrue.

Advertisement