Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Most of those greenways are not viable as railways. In any case a lot of what's proposed in the rail review won't be built anyway so it doesn't really matter. I mean €1.6bn for a rail line from Portadown to Mullingar through rural countryside is just crazy nonsense that will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Good luck eating those solar panels if there's a global shortage of food (war, drought, fire, etc).

Care to explain what food needs subsidies to be worthwhile in this country? Perhaps you could also explain what wind and solar doesn't get subsidies?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

In the event of food shortages there shouldn't be demand for high quality low volume produce anyway. Domestic electricity generation would be important without oil imports though.

I think subsidies to encourage energy independence are a better use of funds than CAP payments which feed more shareholder profits than mouths in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

How can an obsession be self inflicted?

The Green Party has nothing to do with people been totally obsessed with them online and blaming all their issues on the party.

All I was pointing out was the thread is about Green policies which all parties have. Plenty of other threads which the same people are on obsessing about how terrible the Green Party are 😂😂

The Greenways are an excellent addition to ireland, having the ability to cycle and walk around is a huge plus for people and for Ireland which is getting fatter and fatter.

We should be promoting more Greenways, cycle lanes etc to try get people more active

Even public transport means people have to be more active than sitting in a car.

In terms of the “greens” I think you will find the Greens had nothing to do with most of the Greenways with other parties promoting them. The cross border one in Monaghan is FF as far as I know. Not really a Green Party stronghold in Cavan/Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It really is some kind of wierd sub culture in here that are obsessed with the greens and blame them for absolutely everything they see as wrong with the world.

It's really quite remarkable. How could anyone proudly build their world view on being so anti environment?

• Advertisement

Busy few days so I got a chance to read the report today. Maybe you can do some maths and tell me how it is costing €3.5 Bn for the Letterkenny to Derry rail link? Numbers below

To me, it's 200-300m according to the budget below. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Looks like the tide is going out for punitive anti-car measures in Londingham at least......

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Food only comes from Tesco,remember.it appears by magic on the shelves.no need for farmers at all😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

How can anyone build their world views on being so quixotic and dictitorial ? That's what the problem with the greens is, you can't question them and if you do it's some form of heresy.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Some people grow their own food even without gardens of their own. There are council allotments around Dublin which green fingered or thrifty people use quiet well. No invasive solar panels that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yeah it's starting to border on a religion with some of them. The level of aggro out of them about Varadkar's roads comment this week shows it clearly*

(The AIRR plan shows that despite spending 36bn on railway projects, 94% of passenger journeys will be non-rail and 90% of freight trips. Varadkar simply stated that that fact means we still need to invest in roads to carry all those other journeys).

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

You should read Patrick Moore's book or watch some of his podcasts/interviews in which he explains the transition Greenpeace has made going from concerns about nuclear bombs and the environment (pollution, whale and polar bear hunting) to working their way up to try and destruct western civilisation and general progress by politics. That includes anti capitalism, anti nuclear energy, anti industry, anti people (population) and being part of a cabal of worldwide high ranking anti humanists with the aim of getting to a Brave New Green World by any means deemed necessary. And with power play anti democratic top down comply mechanisms. That is what fascists do, taking control to elliminate the 'clear and present danger'. People, countries, parliaments etc are just in the way of the final 'solution'. Rings a bell?

If you think i am talking about a conspiracy you are on the right track. The evidence is overwhelming. You do not even have to connect the dots yourself, they are doing it themselves and bragging about it. They are NOT evil people trying to do evil. They are just delusional and blind to the harm they are causing. They think they are the righteous ones doing good. But so did the Nazis back then or the communists or the inquisition.

So, anyone who finds the obsession with the Green Party hilarious think about that for a moment and where they came from.

Maybe link to the book you discuss.

I do find it hilarious and talk about tin foil hat stuff. The Green Party are a tiny party in Ireland with no control over the country or decision that are made. They can bring suggestions to the two other big parties who can vote for/against. Which of course needs to be voted for by the entire Dail.

As I said already some of the stuff on the media is totally over the top, but that doesn't change the fact that we all need to be more environmental. Now the problem I see is we have a group shouting about "Green Zealots" and they seems to be totally oblivious that they could be seen as "anti Green Zealots"

Trying to have a decent grown up discussion about how Ireland can improve public transport etc, always ends up with this Green party rubbish. Even if the environment was perfect in Ireland it makes sense to have a train system for the people of Ireland and for tourism. Do people not realise this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Some of the roadworks I see lately are bewildering - two examples:

1) Driving into Celbridge from Barberstown, they took away two slip roads for bus feeders and widened the footpath. Crazy stuff

2) Top of Beaver Row joining Clonskeagh Road, they have been building a bicycle lane for yonks. I heard on Friday ( from someone who lives and works in the area ) the company building the bicycle lanes has gone bust. I asked but what about the workmen I just saw at the junction, & was told those are only on the traffic lights. So who finishes the lanes? Best part? Ryan lives nearby.

Only in Ireland

Yeah those pesky pedestrians. They don't just magic up these changes, it is normally based on feedback or a lot of times, unfortunately, due to a fatal accident or number of accidents.

The work stopping was reported weeks ago, companies go bust, outside Ireland as well. Happens all the time. Its 85% complete according to the article so it seems one section is not finished, is that correct?

https://irishcycle.com/2023/05/24/work-stalled-on-busy-dublin-cycle-route-as-construction-firm-goes-into-liquidation/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The latter is a function of Irish/EU procurement and terms of contract.

1) Contractor skins themselves on the Tender just to compete

2) Contractor submits a ton of claims in project, to try and create a margin of viability

3) Client either stalls or refuses claims which results in dispute and withheld certificates

4) Contractor goes insolvent due to no cashflow and being totally banked on one job

5) Job stops indefinitely.

Sorry but you obviously have no idea where I’m talking about. The junction I’m referring to is at the first set of traffic lights coming from Barberstown. Yes there is a school nearby but otherwise there are hardly anyone walking there.

A school but nobody walking. Well that alone is a disgrace, the road should be safe for walking and cycling.

Anyway at the end of the day all over Ireland they are going to make it easier for walking/cycling/public transport instead of cars. Doesn't matter if the Greens/Blues/Yellows/Red or whatever party is in government. That is the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have already given you the passenger travel time by rail from Letterkenny to Dublin. If that link to Derry was to cost €30 Million it still would be a nonsense waste of taxpayers money, But If you can make a viable economic case for €200 - €300 Million (where government department estimates have always been well below the finished cost) then lets hear it.

If you are thinking of basing it on freight, then if I was you I wouldn`t. It makes even less sense for freight than it does for passengers.

No it`s never going to happen.

Even if it for a change with government estimates it did come in on budget, it still makes no sense.

• Advertisement

You said 3.5bn? how did you get that number as you claimed it came from the report. Sorry maybe it was an error but it's such a huge gap I am wondering what the number was refering to

As pointed out earlier that Letterkenny link is part of the Derry to Portadown estimate.

Now seeing as I have been answering all your questions perhaps you would for once be good enough to do likewise. I have given you the passenger travel times from Letterkenny using this proposed link, and the alternatives times also using public transport, so what economically viable reason is there for this proposal, even if by a long shot it did come in on a budget of €200 - €300 Million ?

Where is this tin foil hat stuff ?

The Green Party is tiny but it is a tail of the dog party as far as government is concerned. There was nothing tin hat about them threatening to collapse the government if they did not get their way on cattle numbers. Numbers that globally would make no difference to emissions where other countries are vastly increasing their cattle numbers to fill a growing demand.

Nothing tin foil hat either about a company commissioned by Ryan to write a report on energy security but telling them a land based LNG terminal could not be included. In fairness to the authors they saw the silliness of that and got around it by proposing floating LNG terminals. This latest report is no better. It has all the hallmarks of a green wish list that the authors were told to include, and even the authors of this report said if a large fortune was spent on it it would still make no difference in moving passengers and freight away from road usage. You cannot spend taxpayers money on wish lists. There has to be an economically viable reason for doing so, a "bang for your buck" and for this wish list even the authors of the report could not see any.

And those are just the two most recent Irish Green Party lead proposals. Their energy proposals are even more absurd if that is possible.

From two posts, plenty more you post the same:

Navan being one as has been mentioned here, but when you see the likes of a Letterkenny to Derry rail link costing €3.5 Bn

I didn`t come up with the €3.5 Bn for a Letterkenny to Dery rail link. That was the cost the authors of this Dept of Transport report placed on it

The report say 200-300m, you clearly stated the report said from Letterkenny to Derry it was 3.5 Bn so maybe you can explain how you got that figure?

Another look at congestion charges for Dublin, Cork etc and also a look at the effect the charges have had on a number of cities around the world. These are a no-brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Farming in this country was quiet profitable and each farmer could raise a family, build a house and produce food for the themselves and sell excess. Then subsidies started in order to keep food costs low for people. Once that happens then producer payments began to drop as the processors and retailers began to suck on the tit of the exchequer. Over time food prices in real terms fell (% of income spent on food has fallen over the last 50 years). Producers are getting a bit more now than 40 years ago, yet they produce vastly more due to improvements in knowledge, techniques, mechanisation, etc, yet many are not viable without the aforementioned subsidies to keep consumer costs down.

What excess we produce here is exported which is a multi billion asset to the economy. We're in a globalised market and what agriculture does here is fantastic and is top of the pile in any metrics over the world.

There is no price people won't pay for food. If food prices go up, it will be paid as you have to eat. You're diet may change and ya won't be eating avocados or organic stuff, the cheapest foods will be bought, albeit they are more expensive. You're statement about prices people won't pay is untrue. People are conditioned now that food is cheap, and a disposable commodity. We as a nation waste a disgraceful amount of food. 1kg of carrots for 49c? People don't care if they eat them or not at that price.

Do you ever answer anything you are asked or do you just keep asking questions that have already been answered as a means of avoiding doing so ?

I am still waiting for your answer to how you could justify a spend of €200 - €300 Million that makes any viable economic sense.

But by all means take your time. I`m in no rush, but I will not be replying to any more of your questions until you do so. Fair imo as I have answered all your questions without you answering anything I have asked you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

While I agree that car use in urban centres should reduce, doing it without an alternative in place first is the usual backwards process we love to do here. Put in the metros, the LUAS, bus connects and all the rest. Then have congestion charges. Doing it the other way is a money grab, and a way to piss people off and propel more people who travel to urban centers to the outskirts

• Advertisement

And make city centres ghost towns - which is something they seem intent on doing.

Advertisement