Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

IF we are talking about commuters, it would make much more sense to improve the rail commuting options within the immediate Dublin area, Metrolink, the DART electrification and LUAS to Finglas, but after that, extra stations, DART Underground, LUAS to Tyrellstown, Lucan, Bray, Ringsend, Metrolink South-West, Commuter rail and LUAS in Galway, Limerick and Cork. Then, and only then, is it worth focussing on the inter-city services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

I am talking about both. I haven't seen any plans for Luas extension but as I mentioned it was posted by a guy about doing it for circa 400m to airport which could take in Swords. I use the Luas and it is excellent. It is quick, easy and we should have more around the city and other cities

Tyrellstown I wouldn't use as a destination FYI.

The plan would be to take the pressure off the Dublin housing market and proper train connections can help with that, also you would have the ability to build cheaper'ish houses outside of Dublin to cater for the commuters. Moving families out of Dublin would then free up houses for younger people etc. At the moment the problem is people have to live within a certain distance of Dublin because they have to drive into Dublin. Just look at the M3 parkway every day, it is jammed with cars coming from outsid Dublin so people want the ability.

Hollystown would be a better hub and you are closer to the building estates.

Tyrellstown why exactly?

Hollystown fine, pass through Tyrellstown on the way there.

You could build a spur at Parkgate Street, through the Phoenix Park to Ashtown, with a stop at the Zoo, crossing the N3 at Navan Parkway station, a stop to cater for the new town at Dunsink, before crossing the M50 to Abbottstown, with two spurs from there, one turning south to Blanchardstown Centre using the Metro West alignment to rejoin the Maynooth railway, the other heading for Hollystown, through Ballycoolin and Tyrellstown.

Pressure on Hueston-Connolly could be alleviated by building a line from St. James' all the way down Thomas St and Dame St. to TCD, and even onwards to Ringsend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

But the towns/villages I mentioned already have trains, and aren't experiencing a population boom (well Roscrea is due to refugees, but they aren't going to be on the train much I suspect). There is a train from Roscrea to Dublin daily via Ballybrophy where you change. It's not worth a fiddlers if you need to be in Dublin before 10am any day

I suspect though we're on the same page in regards more trains with a better timetable. That "may" help the towns but I doubt it. Roscrea has a motorway nearby and it hasn't boomed due to that either.

They have a train link but no commuter train. So people who work this is useless. My point hasn't changed and again I refer back to Brighton/London in my original post. Nobody would live in Brighton if the train was getting them into London after 9.

Roscrea to Dublin zoo leaving now which is outside rush hour is 1.27min....so well over 2 hours in rush. So yes a motorway won't change the population.

A train from brigton to London. 120km is an hour. No traffic, you can work on train etc. Get to work relaxed

That's the difference

You're comparing apples and aliens here. Brighton != Roscrea. Brighton is a city, with a population (according to Wikipedia) of around 277k people. That's bigger than anywhere in Ireland outside of Dublin and Belfast.

You brought up Roscrea having a train line.

UK has a population of 67m so its all relative. Im not going back and forward all day long. The point I made is correct, it just happens I mentioned Brigton and you thought bringing Roscrea into it was a good idea. In fact both are similar distances from London/Dublin yet we have no commuter train in Roscrea yet Brighton does.

This is how you grow towns like Roscrea.

Let put it this way, if I take the car into work it will take me longer to get from my location to work in Dublin than my friends on a train in Brighton to London. They are travelling crica 3 times the distance I will travel.

I wouldn't send anything living or dead into Tyresllstown :-)

• Advertisement

Yeah still wrong. Train lines don't equal population booms. The Roscrea line is relevant as it's a commuter line to Limerick, the regions biggest city, with the earliest training leaving at 9.22am and takes 86 minutes. Car trip is 49mins according to Google

The Roscrea train to Limerick leaves at 9.12 based on the link I seen. How is that a commuter train?

I already gave another example of Dunboyne which has seen massive growth and unfortunately hasn’t enough houses for the population required so house prices are massively inflated .

if you passed the M3 parkway in the morning you would see the carpark jammed with cars from Cavan/Navan etc taking the train into the city.

A proper commuter service to towns will grow the population.

Also the car journey, set it at 8 tomorrow and see how long it takes, you are adding at least another 20 mins to the journey.

If you had a proper train service in the same time you would be in Dublin City centre 👍

I didn't understand commuter in this instance, or it didn't click with me. I get what yer saying alright. I'd be of the opinion then to close those stations and lines as it can't be cost effective. The number of passengers is miniscule. See appendix B here

Otherwise, put on a proper early train (which I suggested earlier) for places like Roscrea then that would get people to the cities faster and earlier. Or at least try it. Already pissing money away on trains at times unsuitable with small numbers. Move those trains to more sensible times. Who do I have to call to make this happen?

That's Roscrea sorted. What about Monasterevin? Booming? It has a motorway and train and still a very run down town. It was much more active before the motorway and that certainly didn't help

(perhaps we're gone way off topic here regarding trains. Trains aren't going to destroy the country unless of course we spend the guts of €30bn on them for very little return)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Does this train stop somewhere, sometime? 😃

Trains are not going to destroy Ireland and might actually provide us with some sort of public transport system

The current system is terrible, as you have so kindly provided with the examples already. Why run a train which gets to people late to work?

The plan which was released is 27 Bn. Over the terms its about a 1 Bn a year which we are already spending more than that per year so this is hardly bank breaking money we are talking about. By diverting the money we are already spending to trains we can achieve this fairly easily. Even the Letterkenny link is 300m which might sound huge money but it's not when you look at what we already invest. This project will help cross border relationships as well.

People should have the ability to land in Dublin airport and get a train to Cork/Galway/Waterford etc from the airport. This is not just trains. The Luas is a great transport system so if we can invest in more it should be done but not just in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Or get jobs out of Dublin to rural towns (via tax breaks for companies if necessary)

We have to stop the centralization of everything in the Pale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

At least a rapid transport system from Dublin airport to Connolly and Hueston

The reason everything is in "the pale" is because outside the pale you don't have train links etc for staff to get to/from work. So if you hire someone from overseas and they land in Dublin. They have to magic up a car license and a car before they can get to the office.

If you put them into Dublin they can access public transport.

At the moment we have buses and taxis. Both are terrible forms of transport before we even start on the taxi driver who thinks he is a travel guide and refuses to use the port tunnel.

SO yes that is a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

From the UK Met office website:

"Causes of climate change

The evidence is clear: the main cause of climate change is burning fossil fuels such as oil, gas, and coal. When burnt, fossil fuels release carbon dioxide into the air, causing the planet to heat up.

What causes climate change?

The climate on Earth has been changing since it formed 4.5 billion years ago. Until recently, natural factors have been the cause of these changes. Natural influences on the climate include volcanic eruptions, changes in the orbit of the Earth, and shifts in the Earth's crust (known as plate tectonics).

Over the past one million years, the Earth has experienced a series of ice ages, including cooler periods (glacials) and warmer periods (interglacials). Glacial and interglacial periods cycle roughly every 100,000 years, caused by changes in Earth's orbit around the sun. For the past few thousand years, Earth has been in an interglacial period with a constant temperature.

However, since the Industrial Revolution in the 1800s, the global temperature has increased at a much faster rate. By burning fossil fuels and changing how we use the land, human activity has quickly become the leading cause of changes to our climate".

This is copied from the official UK Met office website.

One would think that especially meteorologists would be extra careful w stating certainties about the climate. I had the idea that surely they wouldnt just come out with outright lies like "For the past few thousand years, Earth has been in an interglacial period with a constant temperature". What, no Roman warming (growing grapes in SCOTLAND) and medieval warming period (Vikings farming in GREENLAND) and little ice age? Apparently not. Constant temperatures UNTIL the burning of 'fossil' fuels (they mean hydro carbons). And they also couldnt resist putting in 'land use' in which they mean farming. What that has to do with rising temperatures i dont know. Methane? Gimme a break..It is that bad! Shocking.

Met Eireann:

"Since the mid-nineteenth century a rise has occurred in the average global temperature; the rate of change in recent times cannot be explained by natural causes alone. This has be shown by running sophisticated computer models of the earth’s climate system, known as earth system models, which only reproduce observed rises in temperature when the effects due greenhouse gases and aerosols are included [1].

Ok, the faulty IPCC computer models again. You know, the ones that they themselves are abandoning because they are nowhere near observed data. As a matter of fact, if you disgard the assumed temperature rise by unit of Co2 they actually run pretty parallel. Ie, it cannot be Co2..

Depressing.

I'm confused now as we do have loads of commuter trains getting people into Dublin on time. There's thousands upon thousands of people getting trains into Dublin everyday. And there's many more using the motorways to get in. Now why would people drive along the M4/M7 for example when there's trains running along the same routes?

• Advertisement

We don't have "loads". Have you tried to use the train system in the mornings to get into Dublin?

Yeah, loads 😀

They do be packed of course. More trains would be a positive. Would Heuston/Connolly be able for more in the morning rush hours?

We had to get off one morning and hop into a taxi half way into city as my wife was about to faint. Two or three other people jumped off at the same time as us and it was miles from the city centre with more stops to try get people on.

I would expect they can handle more trains, it's not like the place is rammed with trains but I don't know. The fact they are talking about electric line upgrades and more frequent trains I expect so

The peasants are revolting

RTE news : Greenpeace activists scale Sunak's house in oil protest

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Most of these clowns are the opposite of peasants.

Proven even more so that "peasants" have something else to be at on a Thursday morning. Working.

These idiots do nothing to help the environment. Just want to get their face in the paper

It was interesting I seen an interview with the team who infiltrated Just Oil and pulled pranks on them. They said they now seem to have no interest in the environment and just getting arrested and getting their picture in papers etc. Get a bit of lime light. I had expected this for a while now.

If they got what they wanted tomorrow morning they would be out looking to do something else to get back into limelight. A group of sad sad individuals

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

When you make the " mistake" of questioning " the Science" ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Not in the way u think.people have enough of lectures from these people that think they know better

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Why do you think Sunak is doing it other than hoping to get a boost in votes at the next general election, because he is one of your "anti-environmentalists" ?

It`s not as if the U.K. is unique in granting licences for drilling in the North Sea. Norway last time I checked still were, and Germany, up to a year ago the green poster boy, in conjunction with the Netherland is back out searching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

From Varadkar`s comments on rewetting and the rail link plan, it looks like FG are putting in a few practice sessions to see how the public likes their band`s tunes.

Advertisement