Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

I have linked various reports from EPA and others showing our rivers and lakes are in an awful state and it's almost all due to agriculture

I can say it with certainty because I see my own families accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Gibbons is an end of times religious charlatan given free reign on Irish media to preach green doctrine. It is no surprise that he has contributed to a smear site, that's what he does see John Gibbons, and the lessons of climate zealotry.

He was recently the guest alarmist on Tony Hellers channel (40 seconds in).

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭prunudo

Typical of many of these so called media experts, wants to shut down any opposing views. Its widely acknowledged, many wildfires are started by arson. Yes some start due to lightning, but scrub and forests aren't spontaneously combusting due climate change.

And yes, climate change is having a contribution to areas being drier and adding fuel to fires. But there many factors at play and yes the climate has also always changed.

Doesn't make me a climate denier for saying that but the problem and solutions are vast. It is as much due to how humans are using and populating the land as it is because I drive an ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

More nonsense. They've regulated the emissions allowed from wood burning stoves, that's all. Montreal went a step further and banned burning of wood within the city akin to the smokey coal ban here. That's a bit of an outlier though. There's no problem with wood burning stoves further south in Toronto. There's also a seasonal prohibition during the summer for certain fire types (why anyone would want to heat their homes at that time is questionable anyway) due to the amount of smoke. Nevertheless, to say that woodburning stoves are banned in the lower mainland is a complete lie.

The entire thing is linked to smoke and air quality in urban areas rather than climate change emissions more generally and seems a little futile given their ongoing forest fires.

• Advertisement

Somehow I doubt that. Given your sage knowledge, if there was any inkling of truth in your amazing statements, why haven't you managed to convince them to consolidate these farms with the neighbours and all become PAYE employees?

I should have been more specific people have to register their appliance's they have up to 2025 after that no registration ie what you have you hold but no new stoves at the moment woodburning is banned from may to Sept but from 2025 on no new Wood burning appliance's will be allowed in the lower mainland Vancouver metro region

Because I just don't get involved in family business but I see what goes on I can assure you

It's hilarious how much that guy triggers you lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

You are aware that tillage and horticulture leech nutrients in far greater quantities than grazing pasture, but obsess about grazing livestock, That the EPA have zero transparency or accountability regarding metering or testing of all the sewage and industrial waste water(and raw sewage) directly piped into the water ways and sea. No figures or data available from the EPA anywhere. But they instead obsess about rural septic tanks.

may this stage they are tinfoil hat wearing vegans rather than an impartial pragmatic state body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,122 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

With you being such a supporter of green policy are you not wasting a lot of time and enegy complaining about the piddling amount of turf burned here in comparision to the 60% of the green energy the E.U.are claiming is being provided by wood burning and biomass ?

LOL You total spoofer.

While you have been waffling about septic tanks, this is what the EPA had to say on urban sewage and a state owned utility company.

I have posted this already but it seems it doesn`t suit your anti-rural anti-agriculture rants as you completely ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Another green crusade ran aground... I guess next on the agenda will be to ban the drinking straws completely. Because climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

These do-good greens’ need to wake up and smell the roses.

Hopefully, they will be confined to the history books come the next election.

See that killer Quirkes farm doubled its profits last year note profits that's after all wages etc taken

So at least I wasn't off the mark re farm profits as I stated earlier but I am a spoofer and haven't a clue

I certainly didn't waffle about septic tanks all I said was a very high percentage failed the inspections I have been clear all along that agriculture is the main polluter of our waterways and that is confirmed by a multitude of reports going back many years

See Burke's profits doubled from milking cows he'd have a hard time getting that milking the social welfare system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Shoog

850 pages in and the same old faces are butt hurt that the man is out to get them with this "green fantasy".

It's tragic how much they need to vent their spleen. Poor babies.

Their enterprise made a loss in 2018, 2019 and 2020. 2021 and 2022 saw record milk prices so presumably halted that loss and you are claiming I told you so? I find it odd that none of the articles release any figures but were very quick to do so in the years they made a loss. For all you know, he mightve had a 1 euro profit in 2021 and doubled it to 2 euro in 2022. What about next year when they announce another loss given the state of milk prices at present? Will you be back to revert your claim?

And what about your own family farm that allegedly exists but you haven't the first clue about? Have they become PAYE workers yet? When will you explain how that will that help the environment?

I was pointing out the mad posts here stating farming was not profitable and others saying they would be better milking the social welfare rather than milking cows

I think most businesses struggled during the covid years try being in hospitality

Anyway profits doubled last year so the subsidies were put to good use,

I still say agriculture is the main cause of waterways pollution and green policies are not destroying this country they are trying to save it from destruction

• Advertisement

Save the country from destruction? HOW? By taxing the hell out of the average person in the street?

Give me a break FFS

I think it`s clear enough from your posts that not only are you a waffler, you are an anti-rural anti-agriculture disingenuous waffler selectively posting what suits your agenda while ignoring what doesn`t.

Less than 25% (rural) of houses have septic tanks, the other 75%+(urban) have their waste water treated by treatment plants. Predominatly those ran by a state utility company.

You claim to be an avid follower of EPA reports, so how come you have failed to see that less than 5% of the waste water deemed a danger to health or the environment is from rural houses, and 49% of the discharge from urban treatment plants are not meeting the mandatory E.U. treatment and effluents quality standards ? Or that raw sewage is presently flowing untreated from 32 urban centers, and that the state utility company does not have any plan or timetable to deal with another 27 areas that are at risk of not meeting those mandatory standards.?

How anyone who claims to know anything about farming believed that by simply increasing the area and overheads by 10 would somehow make a farm viable is a mystery, and one where your complete misunderstanding of the principle of economy of scale as the answer only added to the mystery.

Your attempt to wrap yourself in the green cloak as the reason for your anti-rural/anti-farming waffling is also transparent. You hopped over to Canada to compare their wood burning to Irish turf burning. Why travel so far ?

You had only to look to the E.U. where 60% of their claimed green energy is from such practice, and that we are now doing the same in one of our previous turf generating power plants with wood coming all the way from Brazil. A country that recently voted to keep cutting down its rain forest for the sake of timber and increasing its cattle herd by 23 million, while greens here want us to cut ours by over 1 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Shoog

Slurry and Nitrate/phosphate fertilizers are the primary cause of water pollution in the state. Urban and rural sewage pale in comparison.

You still can't deny agriculture is the major cause of pollution of our waterways which are in shocking state and farming of all types is responsible any other industry would be facing huge fines but we are being fined already for breaches and the taxpayer is paying the fines

What proof have You to make such a statement-‘waterways in shocking state’?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

More uneducated crap from someone who knows nothing about farming.easy double profits when milk went up to near 70 cents a litre last yr.won’t be much this yr with it back to near 30 cents and going lower.

one good yr of proper prices and the non farmer community think we’re loaded to the heavens.

So only Irish agriculture is responsible for water pollution. Nothing to do with industry or a government owned utility company that is not treating 49% of urban sewage, (which represents 75%+ of all sewage) to E.U. mandated treatment and effluent standards and are responsible for 7.5 million litres of raw sewage being pumped into rivers, lakes, waterways and the sea daily have no bearings ? (That is contained in another of those EPA reports you follow so diligently, but somehow seem to have missed as well)

Your only reason for being here is to have a rant on rural communities and agriculture dressed up as being due to green concerns for the planet where the more you post just shows how little understanding, or indeed willingness to learn anything concerning all three.

Your little rant on septic tanks and pollution hit the wall when compared to a state utility and your theory of farming becoming economically viable by just multiplying everything by 10 made no sense on economic viability, or on economy of scale, so no surprise that even members of your own family you claim are farming ignored you on those.

Yet here you are, happy as a sandboy still claiming your interests are in saving the planet while having your little digs at agriculture, so I presume you can give a coherent rational answer to how that is going to be achieved by culling over a million cattle here while the slash and burn merchants of Brazil supply the E.U. with the same quantity of beef Ireland does, (and here with wood pellets for electricity generation) and are increasing their herd numbers by over 20X times the number greens want culled here. And they are not the only country doing so to fill a project world-wide demand ?

Your little rant on turf comparing it to wood burning are so far off on green policy and actual emissions that they really are not worth addressing.

The European Environment Agency lists 77% of our water excellent for bathing. Not far below the E.U. average of 85%.

Of course it could be better, but not bad for an island nation where a state utility is responsible for 7.5 million litres of untreated sewage being dumped into its waters every day.

That's the seas the lake and rivers are in a terrible state due to agriculture

• Advertisement

What range on turf no rant again turf cutting here had done enormous damage to bogs and rural people still say they will continue

Advertisement