Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

I'm not going to report you for backseat modding because the way you casually positioned yourself as being pivotal to this existential debate - "I don't want 2100 to be the end of history" - made me laugh out loud yesterday :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The question shows a lack of understanding of the problem

There is no 'the tipping point'

There are lots of systems that all operate inderdependently. Some systems are net carbon sinks, others are net carbon emittors

The atmosphere is becoming more saturated with CO2 as there are more emmitters than sinks. Humans are the non natural emitters who have overwhelmed a natural system that had previously been enequilibrium at about 280ppm in of CO2

As global temperatures increase, some systems that were previously neutral, or carbon sinks, can become carbon emitters, while other systems that were large carbon sinks, may become saturated and become less effective carbon sinks

Some natural carbon sinks may also become more effective as CO2 concentrations and temperature increases

We know about some very serious tipping points that can release an extremely large amount of CO2 or CO2 equivalent into the atmosphere. These include the melting of the arctic permafrost. There are billions of tonnes of organic material in the arctic tundra that are permanently frozen. As these begin to thaw, that material breaks down and converts to CO2 and methane. This is a positive feedback. The more the arctic warms and, the more the permafrost thaws, the more warming occurs, increasing thawing etc in a positive feedback loop. Similarly, if the Tropical rainforests start to die, we simulraneously lose a large carbon sink, while also creating a large new source for CO2 and Methane emissions as the forests die and begin to burn away, emitting billions of tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere and causing the atmospheric concentration of CO2 and methane to rise

As the GHGs increase in the atmosphere, this cause global average temperature to increase. We have climate sensitivity of that could be up to 4c for a doubling of CO2 in the atmosphere. So if we get to 560ppm, we could expect about up to 4c of warming globally. If we get to 1120ppm, we could see up to 8c of warming.

For context, if the Amazon Rainforest were to die off, that would release 100 billion metric tons of carbon. whch would be enough to increase the atmospheric concentration of CO2 by 1,615 PPM

Whats the next line after your quote?

This is exactly what climate scientists do. They create models, they enter in data and use ensembles to make forecasts for probable outcomes based on different scenarios.

One set of the scenarios is where humans don't stop emitting CO2 fast enough to prevent climate change, and in those scenarios, the probability is that the planet will warm by about 2.5 to 4c for every doubling of CO2 in our atmosphere above pre-industrial levels. And the probable outcomes of such high levels of warming are extremely negative consequences for human civilisation and the natural world as we know it.

You might add that, and you might be completely wrong.

the models are constantly being evaluated and they have proven to have been remarkably accurate. Even the models produced using a pencil and a few equations over a century ago have been impressively accurate.

The reality is, while the planet is extremely complex and where the energy goes at any one moment is chaotic, fundamentally, it's pretty simple to work out. Earths energy balance = energy entering from the sun, versus energy leaving via radiation into space.

Svante Arrhenius calculated climate sensitivity to be about 5 or 6c almost 130 years ago. Currently the IPCC calculates climate sensitivity to likely be between 2.5 and 4c but still allows for even higher sensitivites if some of the negative feedbacks prove to be less powerful than estimated

Since computer modelling, even the earliest models have been surprisingly accurate when we go back and evaluate their predicted warming with the observations in the decades since they were run

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2019GL085378

There is no need for doom or panic as long as sensible people drive national and global policy in line with the best available science.

The increases in talk about 'doom' in directly correlated with the number of climate change deniers who come on here trying to pretend that doing nothing to reduce our emissions is the best course of action

If we keep to the plan. Phase out fossil fuels, transition to renewable energy as quickly as we can, then we'll suffer some consequences but they will be manageable.

If we pander to the fossil fuel industry as so many people on this thread want us to do, then we're all fucked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭prunudo

Give over with your climate change deniers bs. The only industry that is being pandered too is the green industry, expecting everyone to jump, to implement and transition to their tech in an unrealistic time frame or it will be doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Shoog

The climate change deniers are strong on this thread.

See how stupid it's sounds when flipped.

Climate change denial is a combination of hero complex ( I worked out how all the experts lied to me and if you listen to me you can to) and simple denial of observed reality. The climate change deniers are now in the company of the flat earthers in their degree of rejection of evidence based science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

As you seem to have all the facts,can you state what % of global emissions Ireland is responsible for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Who are the deniers? What's been challenged here is primarily the obsession with wind and solar as the only show in town, and dismissing the need for backup via fossil fuels. No one here has said no to renewables. No one has said no to more EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Your last paragraph resonates. So maybe you should try focus the attention of the green party to stopping Amazon deforestation and grow beef in more efficient and sustainable grasslands here?

That'd be far better than importing on the back of a green carbon swindle.

• Advertisement

If you cannot spot the contributors who are proceeding from a position of climate denial you are not the person I thought you were.

20000 people are feared dead in Libya today after catastrophic flooding. We're at about 1c of warming now. Only at the start of what's to come.

There is no green industry lobby group falsifying the evidence about climate change. But there is a fossil fuels industry who have spent a half century deliberately lobbying and waging disinformation campaigns to delay and prevent the action that even the it own internal studies warned them we needed to take.

Where did I say they couldn't be spotted. I asked who they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

The RCP 8.5 scenario refers to emission concentrations and it's assumed that human emissions will eventually start to fall and plateau. Unfortunately human emissions are only part of the picture. Tipping points are not accounted for in the RCP scenarios and it's likely that some tipping points will be triggered within our current emissions pathway, and possible that those may in turn cascade and trigger more tipping points.

That's your answer when I point out that 7°C is way beyond even the estimates for the implausible RCP8.5 ? How exactly is one supposed to deal with the risk of tipping points that are so vaguely defined that nobody knows when they might kick in, over what timescales, and at what cost. (Before you leap to say they've been quantified just look at the error bars, and those are for initial timing not how the effects will play out). There is no answer to this sort of tactic which, I suspect, is exactly the point. It another attempt to put the willies up those who haven't scared easily enough thus far.

There is no free lunch. If we are to spend eyewatering proportion of global GDP combatting a threat, we need to know what the trade offs are. Societies have tipping points too. Spending stupid amounts of money on unproductive endeavours is exactly the sort of thing that have driven economies over the edge in the past. You want trillions of dollars because the West Antarctic ice sheet might melt over the next several thousand years, I say show me your cost benefit analysis. The idea of planning for the next several thousand years strikes me as nothing short of absurd. It would be like asking Egyptians of the Middle Kingdom to plan the widths of streets in Luxor for 21st century traffic.

RCP 8.5 predicts 4.5c by 2100. I don't want 2100 to be the end of history, so we need to look at temperature increases beyond 2100 which is where 7c of warming came from...

RCP 8.5 is dead. It will not even exist as a possible scenario in the AR7 report. Why, why, why do you insist on banging on about it. It is a non-thing. It's not the "business as usual" scenario. If we do absolutely nothing, it will still not be the relevant scenario. You can't sprinkle a few tipping points over it to revivify your climate Frankenstein. The only explanation for your fixation on it is that your brain is stuck in a doom loop that you can't get out of. You might as well say that aliens could arrive with a giant cosmic fan heater to tip us over the edge.

The hothouse earth paper in PNAS supports everything I have said

Yeah, about that, I was wondering if you were talking about the Steffen et al. paper. One of the things I find deeply troubling about the "tipping points" literature is that it literally all seems to lead back to one or two people. Those would be Johan Rockström from the Potsdam Institute and Timothy Lenton of the University of Exeter. The former has built a whole career around tipping points. He is a fantastically effective self promoter. Having been around enough business startups to know a great snakeoil salesman when I see one, he perfectly fits the archetype. You literally can't dip a toe in the tipping point water without immediately encountering Rockström and Lenton. They are joint authors on your PNAS paper.

Look up the Wikipedia page on tipping points ... yep the same two people are in all the references either directly or being cited in newspaper articles. (Oh yeah, and look up the Wikipedia page history -- it's largely constructed by another PhD researcher from University of Exeter). Do a Google search for tipping points. It'll tell you all about "the" nine climate tipping points, as if they were carved on stone tablets. The tipping point literature is one giant self-referential circle jerk.

I've been reading scientific papers on bleeding edge topics in physics for decades and it starts to be obvious when something is part of a fairly accepted overarching theoretical framework, or when it's the idiosyncratic musings of a few mavericks. Yet history is replete with scientific ideas that were accepted for a time through force of personality rather than scientific merit. Are they interesting and concerning? Sure. Are they a basis for deciding to spend $4 trillion dollars per year on specific mitigation policies? Not on yer nelly.

You think tipping points are funny? And just because you don't have a clue doesn't mean these aren't well studied phenomena. There is uncertainty but that is not the same as ignorance.

You know what isn't funny? An unsuccessful transition away from fossil fuels mean everybody dies. It doesn't get any more unfunny than that. The stakes don't get any higher. Greens betting our future on unsustainable and non-existent technology is sheer madness.

You're way out on a limb here. The existence of Climate tipping points are not even remotely controversial

Yes, but they have weaseled their way into green thinking as practically certain to come to pass and only solvable by highly specific and unworkable Green policy options. Ursula von der Leyen delivered her EU State of the Union address today. (You probably didn't notice, most people didn't. I watched it.). Her aspirations for the EU are to be "green, digital and geopolitical". With such vacuous sloganeering I was surprised when she mentioned that the European wind industry was facing serious challenges. Was she going to talk about its inability to deliver energy at competitive prices? Sort of ... she's spearheading a new initiative to simplify permitting. Talk about failing to notice the 600 lb gorilla in the room. Same with solar panels and EVs -- she blames Chinese state subsidies and not the fact that the country with the lowest prices is the one using slave labour and unmitigated emissions. Basically her answers are all about making everything more expensive. This is not going to win over people being bled dry by green policies. She didn't even seem to be winning over a chamber full of bored Eurocrats who seemed to spend all their time staring at their phones.

The RCP scenarios are emissions based and are concerned with human controlled emissions. They do not take into account the likelyhood of positive feedbacks and tipping points which will add much more carbon to the atmosphere on top of Human emissions. If we get past these tipping points, it becomes much much harder to get climate change under control, if it's even possible at all.

You might as well paint "The End is Nigh" on a sandwich board. If you don't have a list of specific, affordable, achievable objectives, you are not even on the starting blocks. Remember, you have to persuade the entire world to sign up to this agenda. If you are not offering an improvement in living standards for billions of those people, you have lost. This is not about laying a couple of undersea cables off the Irish coast.

People who are in favour of cutting GHGs in general agree that we need to stop burning fossil fuels as quickly as we can and transition to alternative sources of energy. There is zero ideology in that position. It's entirely pragmatic.

No objection there. The ideology comes in the back door with the blinkered Green approach to renewables. We need to get the finger out and figure out how we're going to actually make it all work. If it's so important we can't afford to have it led by a bunch of Luddites.

All of the talk about RCP 8.5 leading to 4.5c warming by 2100 doesn't mean RCP 8.5 just means 4.5c of warming.

You just can't help yourself. All what talk? RCP8.5 has been fiction since its inception. Frodo throwing the ring into Mount Doom doesn't mean Mordor isn't still out to get us. That's another thing I'm not losing any sleep over.

A planet warming by about 1c has led to the kinds of catestrophic flooding, wildfires and heatwaves that we are now seeing on an almost daily basis. We have seen nothing yet.

Not according to the IPCC. I mean the science papers, not Chief Doom Monger Guterres. Oh, did I mention Ursula vdL talked about "global boiling" at the State of the Union? It's obviously the new UN-mandated buzzword. While I'm at it, you just reminded me about the other new scare tactic apart from tipping points -- the new "science" of extreme weather event attribution. What you're seeing on a daily basis is not climate. Except, apparently, when it supports the narrative. Now it's attributable to climate change. There is literally no more "science" to this than if I roll a dice four times and happen to get two sixes, it makes it more likely that the dice is artificially loaded in favour of six. While absolutely true, it in no way negates the need to perform dozens or hundreds of tests to establish the actual variance and thus the significance.

Have a look at the BBC's reporting of the floods in Libya:

It's all about the climate change narrative. Not about how this is the fifth catastrophic flood in 80 years. Not about how a report just last year (Ashoor 2022) said that immediate maintenance action was required on dams in the Wadi Derna to avoid a catastrophic flood. And definitely not what the IPCC science says about flooding -- low confidence about peak flow trends over the past decades, low confidence in general statements to attribute flood events to anthropogenic climate change, low confidence about human induced changes in high river flows on the global scale. And specifically about Africa: on a continental scale, a decrease seems to dominate in Africa (Tramblay et al. 2020).

All this scare mongering while people on here rabbit on about "climate change deniers" who are "a waste of air" and "frankly an annoyance". Some of us actually read the mainstream science and almost certainly know more about it than the bunch of resident doom mongers. It's getting kinda boring at this stage.

If we keep to the plan. Phase out fossil fuels, transition to renewable energy as quickly as we can, then we'll suffer some consequences but they will be manageable.

As long as we understand that by "we" you mean the eight billion people on Earth. Not some insignificant dot in the north Atlantic that most of those people have never heard of. What are you offering them to make their lives better? (Note: "less hurricanes" is not going to sell them on the idea, even if it were true).

20000 people are feared dead in Libya today after catastrophic flooding. We're at about 1c of warming now. Only at the start of what's to come.

Hah. Speak of the devil. I covered that just as you posted it.

There is no green industry lobby group falsifying the evidence about climate change.

There absolutely is. And you're part of it.

There definitely were Russian funded greenwashing campaigns aimed at getting Nuclear and Gas labelled as green energy sources.

No tipping points eh? I guess we're just imagining all that methane spewing out from the permafrost that's already started to melt...

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2107632118

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

If you receive a 'climate denier' label you can safely put a ' reality denier' label on them. Fits right under the 'settled Science' decoration..😊. And the 'it's all about Co2' medal of distinction. It would be good if they would wear the same outfit and carry a wee red i mean green book of articles of Faith w them while promoting another cultural revolution..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Of course not. Germany was very clear that they were going to rely heavily on Russian gas for their economic growth.

"Today, in the face of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, it is clear that Russia’s machinations have effectively made a large number of Member States dependent on raw materials from Russia"

This bit is hilarious though. How exactly did Russia make them do anything? It's a nonsense.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

One has to admire the tenacity of the reality deniers. In a world where more and more information has underpinned exactly where and how a rapid green transition would lead to disaster it is fair to say they deserve top marks in effort for sticking to their guns, ignoring accumulating science/data. This will only increase in the coming years. I do wonder about their state of health. All that doom and gloom and on top of that a diminishing return of good outcomes be it solar panels, wind turbines or batteries, the grid, the mining issue, digitalisation, data centres etc. In other words, the whole business of the green energy system. How to face a mounting pile of negatives in an uncertain political and economical landscape and hold on to an unrealistic dream of a green transition? It must be tough. These people are simply ill. I fear for their mental health.

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭prunudo

I was wondering how long before someone mentioned Libya and climate change in the same breathe. Was climate change to blame for all the other floods that occured there over the decades. Did corruption and shoddy building work contribute to the dams collapsing. Was there any management issues in how the sluices were controlled. Was there an early warning system in place for the residents if the dams failed.

The survey linked to a few pages back clearly shows that the climate deniers are the loony fringe within Ireland.

Protest all you like but Ireland accepts man made climate change as real and wants action to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Search for "tipping" ... phrase not found. Your point?

If those using the word 'tipping point' would instead use 'phase transition' they would at least be more scientific. But then, a phase transition has to do with the uncalcuable fluid dynamics.

Anyway, much talk about tipping points just indicates ignorance. It is a modern buzz word popularized by Malcolm Gladwell. Sounds nice but used in the climate debate it is just a pile of assumptions based on flawed reasoning and of course linked to Co2, OUR Co2, the evil compound responsible for 'unbalancing' the Earth. Oh, the shame! We are apparently at a pivotal moment.

Anyway, what the Greens do not realise is that, in order to make the Green transition possible you need a: time (which we apparently do not have), b: lots and lots of hydro carbons (for production and transportation of solar panels, wind mills, batteries (plus mining) c: massive land and sea equisition (do the math! But maybe Bill Gates can help out), and d: a well functioning world economy with a smooth supply chain. There is simply no way that will all be the case simultaniously unless a worldwide green fascist state is in power. Quite a few people actually think that would be a good thing..a brave new world indeed.

In other words, it will end in tears, green tears. You can see exactly why they hang on to the apocalypse narrative. It is essential f their existence..

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Was climate change also responsible for the 1959 Derna floods or the 1941 floods before it or the 1986 floods? The area has a history of massive infrequent flooding events.

This is much more an event attributable to poor infrastructure (old and what seems like badly maintained earthen dams) in an area prone to significant flooding events throughout history. Rolling out the climate change is the only explanation narrative is so lazy, but common these days.

Post edited by namloc1980 on

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

If only they had of taxed us more on everything back in 1941 we could have averted those floods. <<<<< Green logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Nonsense. The Greens got what 5% of the popular vote in the last election. They are the looney fringe.

Advertisement