Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Grand but much better to plant, manage, cut and process your own: saves the carbon footprint for the kiln drying, bagging and transport. Gets you fit with knock on benefits for health expenditure. Win, win.

Why do the Greens insist on turning everything into an industry? I suppose because it'd be a bit of a shocker to the average urban Green - imagine having to grow & harvest your own fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Nuclear is not a solution it's a plague leaving piles of toxic waste everywhere it's tried.

Typical uninformed view. Have you seen the amount of toxic waste being generated to produce green energy commodities? And it's being released straight into the landscape. Compared to the neat rows of dry cask storage for spent nuclear fuel it's a nightmare. The entire world's complement of dry cask storage would fit on a football field.

If they ever perfect fussion power then I will fall all in behind it but creating potential bombs everywhere is not a risk I am willing to take.

The alarmist mindset has its tentacles everywhere, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You'll have to explain this me. I plant trees, as they grow they sequester carbon into their bole and branches. I cut them down, burn the timber and release the carbon back to the atmosphere for reabsorption by other growing trees. What's not to like from the Green POV? Timber is the ultimate sustainable solution - far less polluting than building windfarms, manufacturing solar panels and mining for lithium etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

For last two decades most of the fuel for nuclear plants actually came from the 20,000 nuclear weapons that got decommissioned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Shoog

Not enough land area to meet our needs, and Ireland needs large areas of standing native trees for multiple other ecosystem services (such as flood control). My guess is that this whole riparian wood scheme they are rolling out is primarily about flood control on the cheap.

Not everything is a fuel - it is of itself valuable

• Advertisement

The rare earths destroying the world bullshit.

Not enough land area you say

yet you ok with carpet bombing the countryside with solar panels, wind generators and high voltage lines instead of concentrating everything into a single nuclear plant

yet more green hypocrisy

Burning wood yourself yields around 40% energy to heat. Wood pellet doubles that, however you slice it wood pellet is better than burning logs.

US wood pellet producers are laughing their holes at stupid Europeans who are buying up their pellets and shipping it half way around the world

“””

Enviva is shipping more wood pellets than ever before from its facilities in the Southern pineries to power plants abroad that burn them instead of coal.

”””

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There are no solutions, only tradeoffs: Rare earth elements: A review of applications, occurrence, exploration, analysis, recycling, and environmental impact - ScienceDirect

One of the most significant problems is the radioactivity of some ores. For example, the Bayan Obo mine (China) employs nearly 7000 workers, of which about 3000 are exposed to thorium containing airborne dust. Elevated thoron (220Rn) concentrations in air are also found. Exposure to gamma radiation is significant in the mining areas (IAEA, 2011).

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not according to documented report that show smokestack emissions from wood burning is even higher than coal and much much higher than gas.

As to an energy plant in the U.K. the stats I provided are not for an energy plant I "created". They are for the Drax wood pellet burning plant in the U.K. and are from Ember an energy think tank that has been used here before by green supporters when it suited their arguement. That plant emitted 20% of the total emissions from U.K. power plants last year while providing just 6% of the U.K.electricity, but is somehow regarded by both the U.K. and the E.U. as being carbon neutral.

The Edenderry wood burning power plant in Offaly burning wood from Brazil is operated by Bord na Mona, a semi-state body. With a Green Party minister being from the constituency, where she I`m presume is going to stand for election in the next GE hoping to get elected as a Dail member for her first time and with it being operated by a semi-state body, I would not find it credible to believe that the Green Party is unaware of its existence or that this wood is coming all the way from Brazil. A country that recently legislated for even greater destruction of their rainforest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

The rare earths destroying the world bullshit.

Neat trick, having a pathetic whinge about nuclear waste wrecking the planet and then trying to put words in my mouth.

Anyway, since you mentioned it:

Rare Earth mining, Toxic Sludgistan, Inner Mongolia

USNRC stock photo of dry cask storage. A single cask can store 68 BWR fuel assemblies.

Finland who derives just 5.5% of it`s total energy needs from gas recently leased an LNG ship to do the same for a ten year period at a cost of €460 Million,(more or less the price Shannon LNG gave for a land based terminal), so I cannot see us getting it cheaper.

The fact that it would be sitting there with the gas evaporating to the extent that half of it would be gone in a year and would need to be topped up comes across as a very srange and expensive Irish Green Party solution to an Irish problem. On the flip side it does put a stop to the attempt to legislate for a total ban on all LNG which must sting for a few here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

I have no idea what you are saying.

the correct unit is GWh. not GW per hour.

And the annual energy production of 37GW even at a measly capacity factor of 20% is 64,000GWh. which is a higher number, so quoting 37GW is actually the lower number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Which report if you wouldn't mind sharing.

What the UK do is not really of any interest to anyone on the thread and honestly not sure why you brought it up in the first place when the post you responded to was clearly about a room heater.

It is interesting about the Edenderry plant which is biomass so burns more than wood. Shipping from Brazil seems a bit pointless but not sure what a Green Party minister has to do with it? even if she/he is in the constituency what do you want them to do? go down and stand checking the location of pellets going into the plant? you lose the point of the post(which was good) which this constant attacks against the green Party.

If he was paying attention then he would have realized that the whole scheme at Edenderry has been roundly condemned by all the renewable advocates here, but why let a little fact get in the way of a good rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Why arent they being pushed more? Why are people being pushed into installing heat pumps into houses without ufh if pellet boiler are so wonderful.

You ask me, I really don't know.

They are a far more appropriate solution for most people. They got a bad rap when they first came out because they were importing the pellets and upon arriving in Ireland they swelled and clogged the augers in the burners. Since then they make all the chips in Ireland and they are fairly reliable source of heat for about half the running costs of solid fuel.

Gas is a necessary evil for the next decade or two while the transition is ongoing. This is not news

That gas will be required for our energy needs for the foreseeable future is not indeed anything new. That Eamon Ryan after all the warnings from the CRU, Eirgrid etc. finally had to admit that LNG is necessary for our energy security certainly is news though.

I know for you and a few others here, that along with greens looking to legislate to ban all forms of LNG is now dead in the water must sting, but there isn`t much point in you attempting to wave away Ryans volte-face on LNG as not being newsworthy

• Advertisement

Similar to anybody else here it is not up to me do do your research for you, but as you appear to be new I will make an exception.

Take a look at the guardian.com/environment/2022/feb25/polutionwatch-wood-fires-bad-for-planet-more-evidence-shows. There you will find links to reports from Sweden, Finland, France, Denmark and Australia.

You can also check nrdc.org/stories/no-burning-wood-fuels-not-climate-friendly.

Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC) is an international environmental advocacy group whose mission statement is " To safegaurd the earth - its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends".

Those are just two of many, but there should be enough there to make it clear on wood burning along with the Ember report I have already stated.

The UK import LNG, have done since 2005. We receive gas through Moffat, ergo we have using LNG for years.

Here's a UK govt paper on it from a few years ago in case you weren't aware

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It's interesting to see that Eirgrid called a System Alert this evening with wind delivering a whopping 10% of its installed capacity and solar at 0%.

Throw up that shovel. You`re more than deep enough as you are.

No news there either. Just you confirming what posters here have been saying for years on green hypocrisy on LNG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Too much methane, but we want to raise a **** load and sell beef to the lads in Asia.

Wrecking every road in the country. Two lane roads and filter lanes destroyed and replaced with huge grass verges.

I've literally never seen so many cars on the road in all my life and I cycle too. It's a nightmare.

Tax everything.

I'm all for climate change but these lads can **** right off. Absolute clowns.

Not really but whatever you way you need to twist things to call a win, you go ahead, I won't stand in the way of that warm and fuzzy feeling for you

If your reference a study the standard practise on every other forum would be to provide information on the study.

In terms of the information you provided

Guardian is about solid fuel and not wood pellet

The NRDC was about large scale energy and not a room pellet stove

Looking at it from a personal point of view, my room heater wood pellet stove will keep a large room at the perfect temp from 7 in morning till probably 10 at night without using half a bag of pellets. Trying the equivalent with a solid fuel stove which I had previous I would of required at least one if not two wheel barrows of logs and a number of buckets of coal. Of course finding it difficult to regulate the heat, so one min you wouldn't be able to stand in the room and the next it would be freezing.

I have searched and found nothing to compare a room heater wood pellet stove to an equivalent. Unless you have some personal experience yourself to counter mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That Amber alert is over now according to SEMO. I wonder if any of the Temporary Emergency Generation that was built ended up being used?

And emissions are very low since the high burn temperature turns everything into carbon dioxide water and a small amount of ash. Optimised burning of biomass produces virtually no smoke so no particulates to speak of.

It's a bit of a shell game, use something totally unrelated to what you are talking about to disprove what you are talking about. Straw mannery.

• Advertisement

One of the main reasons I got rid of the solid fuel stove was cleaning it out daily. You had a bucket full of ash which then had to be disposed of into the black bin of course. Now I have a little try which comes out and maybe once a week I will clean it out.

Even the stuff that used to come out of the flue as you mention is now non existent in comparison. In terms of heating a full house or energy generation I don't know but as a room heater they are excellent

Advertisement