Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

@Clo-Clo this is an example of the shite being posted about wind. You were critical lately when someone posted the lack of wind being generated

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

About as much as our policies will have impact on global climate change.

Zero.

?

Its a one week summary, called out as a one week summary. Its showing the highs and the lows. Its not being presented as evidence of anything except the actual numbers

If you read more into it than that then thats a you issue

Dublin Bus CEO calling for drastic actions to be taken to improve the PT situation in the city which is being bogged down by cars

“We need to move from a city of brakes lights to a city of buses, bikes and boulevards, just like some of our European peers such as Amsterdam and Paris,” he will say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Nice talk which explain some pretty dumb green ideas and "facts"

And some summary for people who will claim that they are too busy to watch some climate denier propaganda 🤣

For the life of me, I can’t recall who it was now, so credit is due to the mystery tweeter who summarized Bob’s speech.

What does “energy transition” mean?

• “You have a billion people that burn firewood to live. They have no access to electrical energy.”
    • “We’re burning more coal and more oil today than in the history of the world.”
    • “We spent $4T putting up solar panels for hydrocarbons to still capture 83% of energy source.”
    • “You’re not going to stop global warming by buying an electric car.”

On electric cars and EV batteries

• “With current lithium-ion technology, the destruction we cause, the global warming gas we cause, we might as well sit on our chairs and do nothing.”
    • “You just bought your wife a coal-burning car by buying an EV.”
    • “The current generation of EV batteries will be toast in 2-3 years.”
    • “I would short every lithium company in the world.”
    • “We’re going to kill the lithium hydroxide business over time.”

Common metals vital for the transition

• “If we’re going to have a transition, we need common and abundant materials. We can’t rely on things like nickel.”
    • “The batteries they’re making now are low-grade lithium metal. You don’t need nickel, cobalt, graphite, They’re out the window.”
    • “You want batteries made out of common materials so billions of people can use it.”

Womb to tomb examination of net zero

• “Look at the whole system if you’re trying to eliminate global warming.”
    • “The Chinese are saying 2060 and India is now saying 2070. What does that tell you?” “There’s zero chance that the twelve major automakers will find enough nickel to make their batteries.”
    • “The amount of metal we need doesn’t exist currently in a way that’s green or sustainable. It’s apparent to any readily intelligible person.”
    • “How can we stop burning coal and oil and not have an energy transition?”

Two competing paradigms

• “We have two competing tribes. One tribe says ‘I want to save the world, I’m green, I need cobalt, nickel, platinum, or palladium’. The other tribe says ‘Holy ****, the Army/Navy wants these metals for national defense.'”
    • “The intensity of metal demand in conflict is beyond your wildest imagination. In WWI you needed a telescope to see the price of copper.”
    • “So we’re heading to a world where both tribes have a strong demand for more metals. We’re balkanizing the world into two camps and its tearing the global supply chains apart.”

A very difficult time

• “It does appear that the world is warming, and there’s zero chance we’ll reduce that. The question is how bad will it get?”
    • “I was in CA recently, it was $6.20 per gallon. The average citizen is pissed off.”
    • “I agree with Jamie Dimon that this is the most dangerous time since I’ve been alive.”
    • “The Fed are idiots. They told us that inflation was over. And it’s not even close.”

We need to reinvent the mining industry

• “First of all, we have to try to mine in the United States. No intelligent person has tried to do that in the last few generations.”
    • “Everything is blown out of proportion because mining is viewed as a bad thing.”
    • “We also have to determine what metals we actually need for the future. Which is copper.” “Imagine you’re plugging an EV w/ 1MW charger. Our grid is literally a 110 year old lady waiting to die. The Chinese tell me it will take $21T to rebuild the electrical grid.”
    • “Our grid is like balancing a pencil vertically on your palm. There’s no storage there.”
    • “The symbol of the US, the bald eagle, is flying into offshore windmills. They’re just chewing them up. Who wants to live near them? They’re very low density.”
    • “At least real miners know how hard it is to actually find metals and mine it.”

Energy consumption

• “A Google search requires 1,000 joules of electrical energy. You think it’s free, but it’s paid for by advertising.”
    • “You think the internet is green? You know how much energy it requires to use AI/ChatGPT? You think Bitcoin/crypto is green?”

Importance of copper

• “I don’t know if we need gold. But I do know we need copper. And we need it really badly.” “Having said that, I’d rather there be gold in my copper. Because people will always want gold.”
    • “People are getting rid of their excess copper because they’re de-stocking to reduce their interest cost. But we’re nearing the end of de-stocking and paper selling.”
    • “This huge clash is coming between Army, Navy, Air Force and the Greening of the world economy. And the miners have an unbelievable burden to make that happen.”
    • “At the same time we need these metals, it’s harder to get the equipment needed to mine the metal!”
    • “The miners have a very important role to play to supply the world with the metals it desperately needs.”

Importance of Saudi Arabia

• “If Saudi Arabia can’t maintain basic energy security, we’ll have $200-$300 oil. We need stability in that pricing. At $100-$300 oil, people in Egypt don’t eat.”
    • “Saudi is playing a beneficial role by keeping oil between $70-90 per barrel.”

Audience Q&A

• “The valuation of the mining industry relative to the S&P 500 is the lowest in living memory. The general person thinks that mining is evil and must be eliminated.”
    • “50% of what goes into an EV is hydrocarbon. If we stopped producing oil, half of humanity would die from starvation.”
    • “I don’t think we understand how formidable the Chinese are.”
    • “In a Balkanized economy, we went from a Just-in-Time supply chain to a Just-in-Case supply chain.”
    • “How much metal do we need to build nuclear reactors?
    • How much steel, concrete, rebar, nuclear engineers do you need to build these things?” “The problem is that the world economy is Balkanized. Where is the steel coming from? Where are the pumps coming from? The French want nuclear power, and the Germans are burning coal. Even within Europe, its Balkanized. That’s all I see.”
    • “I think the mining industry needs to defend itself more. Where do you think stuff comes from? There’s the hardware of the mine (tons, grade, engineering). Then there’s all the people around the mine (locals). There’s invariably a clash with the locals around the mine. Unless they’re buying into it, it’s not going to happen. That’s the software around mining.”

On knowing where things come from

• “People don’t realize where things come from. As people live in urban environments, they forget where things come from.”
    • “We need to communicate the importance of mining and humanize it as an activity. We need to mine in the United States. We need to figure out what should be mined, where we’re allowed to mine, and how.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Eh, storm related outages are not system level blackouts. They are a rare thing and for good reason. It takes a long time to bring a grid back from a complete blackout. It's something that needs to be avoided at all costs, especially in a country this far north, where people's lives literally depend on electricity to stay alive.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

More on the IFI push to increase fines for environmental crimes. I didn't realise the fines were so small, long over due for an overhaul. Personally I'd be hoping fines would start around 50,000 eur plus jail time. We'll have to wait a while to see what the outcome is

So no problems changing laws to create new categories of “crime” and criminals?

If you read last few pages one would get impressions that laws in this country are unchangeable and immutable

• Advertisement

This is likely only the first of many refineries to close/transition

“As the energy transition gathers pace, this is a necessary step in adapting our business to reflect the decline in demand for the type of fuels we produce.

“As a prudent operator, we must plan accordingly but the precise timeline for implementing any change has yet to be determined.

“This is the start of a journey to transform our operation from one that manufactures fuel products, into a business that imports finished fuel products for onward distribution to customers.

And we'd a 2 month wind summary yesterday being dismissed

Anyway, things are tight on the network this evening

And we'd a 2 month wind summary yesterday being dismissed

Well yeah I can see why. The difference is my post showed all sources and made no comment outside of it being a nice summary

Anyway, things are tight on the network this evening

Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

To apply your logic to climate change, we don't need to do anything because nothing really bad has actually happened. Warning signs are there, sure, and getting increasingly more severe, but we'll be grand, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Will it apply to the country’s council area guys when they release raw sewage into said rivers or is it just another day trashing farmers from u.

Can you bold the bit in my post where I mentioned farmers?

The article itself is based on the following:

He was responding to questions from Sinn Féin TD Martin Kenny, who raised concerns over the pollution of watercourses as a result of the overuse of nitrates in the agriculture sector and asked if there needed to be greater sanctions, greater enforcement and more authority put in place.

So you may take up your query with Sinn Fein TD Martin Kenny, let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Really? Nothing bad?

what about all the climate related issues for years now?

The bikes I seen worked, maybe you don’t know how to use it? 😂😂

You completely missed my point, I am sure you would be a very unhappy chap of that bike of yours only came with one working wheel

yet wind having measly crappy 30% capacity factor at random somehow is ok

No I didn't miss the point. You are obsessed with a form of transport which came from NL and is been used in urban area to transport children around safely. You seem to think now anyone that cycles one of them is, I guess, a green zealot or whatever word you seen today on X.

All nonsense

Wind is a great form of power generation. Along with others, we will have a balanced grid using multiple sources as I already posted. But Im sure we can't wait for something abotu nuclear again.

• Advertisement

Ah sure it's only a bit of weather.

If we can wait for a catastrophic event like, oh, I dunno, a forced blackout, before we need to take action, sure why not the same for climate action?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As you have been shown by many here there are no current plans for any other carbon neutral generated electricity to supply the grid other than wind and solar. Even before Eirgrid`s predictions of our requirement doubling between now and 2050, the cost was so off the wall as to be laughable. And that did not even include the rip-it-out-and-start-again every 20 to 25 years.

Anybody with even national school maths can see it`s a plan that is completely bonkers and is just not going to happen.

Now you dug a hole and that made no sense.

I was posting to someone else so not sure why you quoted the post? seems odd. Especially when the response has nothing to do with the discussion we had.

Anyway another poorly researched post with incorrect information.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

There is nothing 'nice' about that summary. It shows that generation isn't able to keep up with demand for the vast majority of the time, so how many big players were told to fire up the jennies to keep going? Total generation bursted demand lunchtime Monday 20th and by tea time it was lagging again. A glut of wind on the afternoon market that nosedived soon after.

If the above chart represented employee performance in a workplace, the green employee would be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If I was you considering the number of times you have been pulled up on actual documents that did not say what you asserted they said, I wouldn`t be accusing anyone of posting poorly researched information.

You'll be happy to see the DRS scheme kicking off shortly so

And deflection time. It's a predictable playbook at this stage.

I don't see how the DRS is going to massively help. You can currently fire stuff in the recycling bin at a small cost. Now you have to pay more for the stuff, and then bring it somewhere to get the money (do you get all the money?) back. Are people going to be better off? It would still be handier to throw it in the recycling bin, but now you are paying double for the privilege (initial deposit and bin fees). It works in other countries and probably will do here. Hopefully

Advertisement