Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The only rants I have seen here are those from self proclaimed experts on Irish Green party policy and manifestos that rather than even attempt to answer questions put to them are not just ranting, but raving and attempting to deflect while running around in ever decreasing circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

And that has been fully answered and yet you continue to deny, ignore, deflect and obfuscate the basic facts of the natural gas reserves which have been found and which have made up to to 58% of Irelands energy needs in the last 50 years.

What gives if you do nothing but post deliberate such misinformation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Well for a start unless you see a United Ireland anytime soon I do not know where we will see "boys in Derry" in government.

The specific question I was asking you was on the legislation brought forward in early 2021 to ban the issue of any further exploration licences.

Can you remember who at the cabinet table brought forward that legislation ?

Not at the cabinet table, but then you do not need to be to propose laws. Last month Neasa Hourigan proposed the banning of LNG terminals. Can you tell us which political party she belongs to and how that proposal has been greeted by her party ?

Personally on their performance in government, especially lately, I look on them as muppets.

There will likely still be a handful of gas power plants still around post 2030,but to be honest I think they'll be priced out of the market well before 2050 with carbon taxes. Some may get around it by using CCS at source but its likely that there will be very strict regulations around this which may impact further on the commercial viability.

The other sources for power other than gas will be wind, solar, hydro, interconnectors, pumped storage, hydrogen as well as various battery storage.

The proverbial nut to be cracked for renewables has always been storage for low production periods. That looks like it may be solved by hydrogen and to a lesser extent various other storage options (batteries of different types, pumped storage etc). Also I'm not talking about lithium based batteries here either.

Note while I like the idea of hydrogen I'm still not fully convinced on how it's going to work from a power generation point of view. Burning hydrogen just swaps one problem (carbon) for another (NOx) which has its own set of potentially devastating impacts on the environment. Emissions capture for nox is ineffective to a large extent right now but maybe that will change.

Hydrogen will work great in relation to fuel cell tech but I don't know how feasible that is on a grid scale.

There's literal billions being poured into hydrogen production facilities at the moment to get them up and running, Spain and Saudi Arabia announced projects this week both over 5-6 each in those respective countries, so I'm hopeful that we'll see more in this area over the next decade.

On a side note, one potentially massive source of energy exists in the oceans in the form of wave energy capture which I've followed for years. This one is really struggling to achieve scale with a model that doesn't basically get eaten by the seawater.

The last one is tidal although there are so few places suited to this it's unlikely to even get beyond being a niche generation source.

So yeah gas is needed for a while but I don't think it will be needed for as long as some think. I think once the offshore wind starts coming on stream we'll probably have a clearer picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

As already discussed, you constantly repeat the same thing over & over again. No idea why. You also seem to think snide little condescending comments are the norm. No thank you.

I am sure someone else on boards will love to hear the same thing repeated over & over & over & over & over again

I will kindly bow out

You did not answer my question for the third time. My question was;

How many seats do the Green Party have in government and how many of them are at the cabinet table. The way you keep spinning/spoofing the Greens have a kung fu/Medici like grip over the country but in the same rant you claim their muppets, which is it.

you have not answered this at all only deflected again with something else

a classic move seen time and time again,

Your rumbled!

Yes we know "why" because you've continously denied, ignored, deflected and obfuscated the basic facts of gas exploration green party policy and the importance of natural gas in energy production which have been explained many many times. I'm certainly not the only poster who has pointed this out to you

You haven't answered one single question asked or why you keep continously repeating that "Ireland have been looking for 50 years" & etc despite this been covered by multiple posters, myself included.

As for your "snide little condescending comments" they have certainly been the norm since you latterly joined the discussion

"I will kindly bow out"

As you wish

Post edited by Mecanudo on

I always thought you’d never see Batman and Bruce Wayne in the same room looks like charlie14 and Mecanudo are playing from the same deck 👀

• Advertisement

Ah comic book references well I see resorting to attacking posters in lieu of discussion. Well when you and others are unable to do so meh.

Fact. This is a thread critical of some of the crazier policies gp. That there are people posting about that shouldn't surprise anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.ft.com/content/a5df06cf-a11c-42bd-81b5-5e30ec3a64aa

This was published by the International Energy Agency today, simple ways of reducing oil usage with the shortages and price hikes. These guys know their oil, reduce speeds, car sharing, it looks like Eamon was right all along 😍.

Laugh out load your tactics are rumbled, same as the “other” poster.

your opinions are meh… 🥱

Seriously what kind of ridiculous comment is that?

Afair your only half normal contribution to the thread was where you previously queried natural gas resource finds, to which I put together a comprehensive reply and to which you then made a half smart arse reply. And asked you to clarify and you didn't bother.

And here you're going against that old boards adage of don't be a dick. Well look if that's where you want the discussion to go you're on you own banana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Eamon never was and never will be "right", if you know what I mean

whatever mate, you never did any of that. 👍

I didn`t notice until today that Eamon was our St.Patrick`s day representative in New York.

I have no idea how the decision is made as to who goes where on this particular junket, but whoever did make that decision would look to have a sense of humour sending Eamon to the city that never sleeps.

If 90% of our electricity was generated by renewables our electricity bills would still be the same.🍋

• Advertisement

I wonder did he take one of those HiTech Racing Yachts across the Atlantic that the greens seem to like so much? He must have left ages ago to get there so.

On the off-chance he went by airplane I hope he told the airplane pilot to slow down as its very important to to save fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Thats just because there's too many middlemen and parasites who need to be paid. A lot of them could be got rid of as they don't do anything but they've cemented their position kinda like Joe Duffy.

De government could buy 1-3 jiggawatts worth of solar panels for cheap and a few containers full of inverters and start handing them out to people on the condition that they leave them installed for 15 years. This would put a real dent in the amount of non renewable power generation required during the day but all the vested interests would campaign against it. It would probably pay for itself in avoiding EU fines

You did not answer my question for the fourth time. My question was;

How many seats do the Green Party have in government and how many of them are at the cabinet table. The way you keep spinning/spoofing the Greens have a kung fu/Medici like grip over the country but in the same rant you claim their muppets, which is it.

you have not answered this at all only deflected again with something else

a classic move seen time and time again,

Your rumbled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Your party is no different to the rest, totally out of touch with a massive majority of people in the country.

But the leader of your party seems to think that there is nothing outside of Dublin or the big cities when he spouts about trains and public transport and bicycles.

Also shouting about the carbon footprint while jetting off to new York for his paddies day holidays.

Finally I agreed with and totally thought the change to smokeless fuel was great and was all I used but thanks to the tax,vat and now another carbon tax most people I know are going to be cutting turf this year and stocking up on the cheap coal so it's a bit of an own goal imo.

As I said on the thread, the Greens are not "my party". I just have bothered to read their policies, felt some of them are really good. But I am also aware of the environment and want to try change the way we live now so in the future that people will look back and say "actually they tried to help us". I don't understand with all the information we have available now that a nation would prefer to still act like a dirty pig and leave a mess behind them for someone else to fix.

It reminds me of the reaction when MM said he was going to ban smoking in pubs, the reaction was incredible. This was never going to work. They got huge kick back and then afterwards, "F**K me this is great".

As a nation we just need to work through this and drag people with us till we get to the "F**k me this is great" phase.

To answer a few direct questions, the flight to US is to promote Ireland, we need to keep jobs etc. Plus a plane is the lowest CO2 output for moving large numbers of people over distance. They done a study of driving from London to Glasgow(I think) or flying. Flying was better.

Read the Green policies in terms of outside Dublin.

The Greens are a small party who are 2 years in government. They cannot change the World economy.

I always thought this was a very powerful ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY5jNv391rk

• Advertisement

🤦‍♂️

The comment was about the Charlie account.

In regards to the post earlier about solar only works 3 months a year. 9 in the morning and I am already off the grid with solar PV.

This is the 18th of March and my panels are on SW roof so not even in direct sun light yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What has the wind power generation the last few days lads. Its been really calm.

I'd reckon not much.

What happens in a storm situation.

Are the turbines locked up?

No idea on wind at the moment, but if low thats why we need solar with wind

In a storm some wind turbines cannot handle the additional wind so they can stop them spinning so they don't go too fast and get damage. Stopping them is all done remote of course

A lot of people shouting and roaring about Eamonn Ryan is this, that and the other. The two biggest complaints is about him saying to slow down and car sharing.

Seems old Eamo was ahead of the game. The IEA have come out with these ideas on how to reduce oil usage at the moment.

https://www.iea.org/reports/a-10-point-plan-to-cut-oil-use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If Eamon Ryan refused to go to New York because it involved a transatlantic flight, the same people would be on here to lambast him for abdication of duty for putting Irelands trade and political relationship with the US at risk

Damned if you do and damned if you don't it would seem

You can imagine the outcry from everyone is one of the leaders rejected an invite from the US or another country on St Patrick day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

That's actually class. How many panels would you need for this? I want to get this on my house but always had a perception that it could never handle the full load of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

So if that's the actual output. And renewables are generating so much.

Why is the unit price of electricity on the upward trajectory all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Those definitely aren’t the two biggest complaints against Eamo and his merry band.

How many times has it been mentioned in the last few weeks about his recommendation to slow down, how many times is it fired up about him saying to car share.

It just shows that people are very easy to try and ridicule the Greens but the actual idea's are perfectly sane.

The other one of course is about the lettuce, but if you watch the full video it is about mental health during lockdown. That story never gets told.

I am sure you will see some parties now out trying to sell these idea's as their own now.

Ah so it’s ok for him to damage the environment because it helps Ireland economically etc.

Bit it’s not ok to that damage the environment in looking for LNG that could help Ireland economically etc because…….???

Either both are bad for the environment and climate change or both aren’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Posted the same yesterday. Proof that Eamon is the Messiah and can do no wrong.

Yeah that’s great and all but they aren’t the two biggest reasons people are pissed off at Eamon Ryan and the Green Party at the moment.

• Advertisement

I put on 19 panels, this is what it is at now as the sun has moved closer to the panels. Now don't get me wrong it is a clear sunny day today.

The boards PV chats here are an excellent source, also a group of facebook with a few of the boards users and also other people. Loads of advice on the best bang for buck if going that direction. A lot of rip off merchants in market.

P.S. the base load in my house is twice a normal house so that's why more panels was better

Sorry but if you don't understand the difference between the two then I will be of little help trying to explain it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Because gas is so expensive. Power stations that are fueled by expensive raw materials only operate when the price they get from selling the electricity exceeds the cost of buying the fuel and operating the plant. Because renewables can cover much of the baseload at very low marginal cost of production, when abundant wind and solar power is available the gas and coal plants shut down

It's only when demand exceeds supply and the unit price of wholesale electricity increases, that the gas and coal plants begin operating.

The fact that oil and coal plants take time to 'spin up' and spin down means for a few hours, many days of the year. Wind turbines are paid by the grid to stop generating energy to maintain the grid

In the future, where we are plugged into the EU grid and do not have to rely on gas and coal turbines, we will be able to store excess power and not have to waste our generating capacity while simultaneously burning expensive fuel that is driving climate change.

Adding more gas to the generation mix won't reduce the price of electricity, reducing the price of electricity will drive out gas from the energy mix as it won't be profitable to burn gas anymore.

The fossil fuel industry will call for more subsidies to ensure 'security' but that won't reduce the cost to the general consumer as the subsidies have to be funded by the tax payer

I mentioned it here a few times and I have talked to guy in the UK grid. The biggest issue with a grid and the high cost is peaks. I gave the example, which they gave me, about 4 million people watching a tv program and then flicking on a kettle at hte break. That is a killer for the grid, the plan is smart meter will help to resolve that

Spinning up nuclear/coal/gas whatever for these peaks cost the grid. That's why a wind/solar/renewable balanced grid is what every country wants. That of course can involved electric cars and batteries to help in the future. So your car will also just be a big electricity storage unit.

Excellent post by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Who denies that the climate changes? Nobody, it’s just a silly phrase that the globalists have instilled in your brain to make you feel superior for believing their farce.

Maybe I am reading the post incorrect, but are you denying climate change? that's the way it read to me

Why would anyone feel "superior" because they believe in climate change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

You still haven’t explained why it’s better to leave the grid using foreign gas backup from now until 2050 instead of looking for our own gas backup that we could use until 2050.

Until you answer this your talking pony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Advertisement