Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Threadbanned. Ya'd miss them all the same. At least there was an active discussion then

A review of energy generation from 2023

Few interesting things in this. 1) rollout of renewables has slowed and 2) the demand for power is growing and the demand is being met by more fossil fuels. The % of total power from renewables has fallen.

Another interesting things was this

While there has been a small increase in overall electricity demand and renewable generation from 2022 to 2023, Ireland’s carbon intensity of electricity decreased significantly, because imports replaced some domestic fossil fuels with those outside of Ireland. From a carbon accounting perspective, when the carbon intensity of electricity is calculated, only emissions from domestic generation are included, making imported electricity carbon-free under national carbon budget rules.

All imported power is carbon free. We need to import more to reduce our emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats absolutely bonkers, imported fuel is "carbon free"? It shows how completely disconnected from reality most green measures are. Just wipe our emissions off the balance sheet, who cares if the fuel we're then using is both more expensive and more pulluting as long as its imported...

Its exactly like the plans to reduce Irish agricultural output to reduce our emissions, which will only see it instantly replaced with production from Brazil or elsewhere which is much worse for the planet overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

They made a valaint attempt to dress that up to appear much better than it actually was for last year.

They avoided giving the actual percentage for wind generation for 2020 which was 42%. For the three years since, that has dropped back to 34%-35%. Effectively wind generation is not even keeping pace with demand and we are now using more fossil fuel than ever. Along with the economically unviable cost of adding more wind generation, it is past time we took a serious look as a country as to where we are going with this.

The "instantaneous demand met by solar" is a particularly disingenuos piece of word play giving the impression that this solar will be there the instant you need it which is far removed from the reality.

As the reality has began to bite on the renewable ideology there is now even more of a swing towards dodgy accountancy to cover the cracks. A practice in the past that has never ended well. We could generate all our electricity by burning imported wood which would keep the E.U. bookeepers happy, but that would do less for our real emissions than presently and even less for the planet as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

But hey! Eamon Ryan said we couldn't have any new gas infrastructure because it would lock in our dependence on fossil fuels. You're forgetting that in Green World you only have to declare something to be true to make it so. Witness the various annual COP declarations -- as of this year we are officially transitioning away from fossil fuels because the COP people said so. Any connection between policy aspirations and reality is secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Calling people climate deniers when you questioned logic of their grandiose view of future was not discussion. More like denial of hard facts because they did not correspond with fantasy.

It seems that green dream is slowly hitting the wall of reality. I wonder how long it will take to wake up from that dream over here.

9 out of 10 wars fought in the last few decades were sold as some independence or democracy struggle when in fact it was either energy, minerals or food related (sometimes all of it). Current most prominent conflicts ukraine/russia or palestine/israel are prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

George Doomsday Lee and RTE doing their best to scare the bejaysus out of anyone they can on the news tonight.

Inserting clips of dried river beds, dead dolphins and forest fires to accompany it. Totally pathetic. I get more disgusted with the mainstream media every day.

That's all I can say.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Ah bless little George. He's not been the same since FG cut him loose. Nobody takes him seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

George Lee is an economist that has no technical or scientific qualifications in relation to his post as RTE Environment Correspondent. Basically he just parrots whichever article takes his fancy unquestioned.

It would make you wonder would it not as to why he doesn`t at least occassionally look at his brief from the point of what his qualifications are in, economics?

But then as George found out in his very short political career, the money in RTE is tasty and being a parrot rather than an investigating jounalist is more financially beneficial.

He reminds me of another "expert" in our media. I will never forget genuine horror expressed by Pat K about refusing to walk on the side of the road afraid of plumes of covid exhaled by passing cyclists or joggers without facemasks.

We constantly promote wrong people. Talking heads.

Truth is sometimes very far from what they are trying to sell.

The climate denier shite was tiresome. But they did bring a different viewpoint and occasionally dropped some interesting links and talking points. Now it's nearly wall to wall anti green related stuff without some sort of attempted balance. Just my 2 cents...

I do not know. Thread is called "Green policies are destroying this country" and so far what they presented as solution exactly fits - like to go balls to the wall with wind without even attempting to discuss costs and potential dangers involved. I suppose they are quiet now since there is no way how they can either back it up with numbers or show it would even work in case we somehow managed to get finance for it (which is more than just impossible). That, combined with similar plans hitting the wall all over the world may be the case of silence. Greens plan seems to be under water until someone come up with another great idea.

And let us not start discussing what they tried to present as planet saving solution with regard to our farming industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

6-7 people banned. That is not all the environmental minded people on boards.

Most people have just moved on. This thread is just the same people resharing the same nonsense on nuclear and posting about "WhAt hApPenS wHen Da wInD dOesN'T bLoW"

By the way not saying you are one of them. People have better things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree the focus of many at this time of the year is getting out to the sales and buying nice things, booking foreign holiday, buying new cars, etc. While, in theory and in surveys we might all be uber concerned about climate change, in reality most people want to carry on with their lives

Most people on focusing on their health and well being at the start of the New Year, including the environment

People moving on from this thread is not because they don't care about the environment to buy a new car, just after 996 pages its still the same people talking about nuclear so it gets to a point when it easier to use other threads/forums to discuss the environment

Yeah, the climate denier shite was tiresome, but it does not seem if those that engaged in it learned from it. Nowadays if you are in disagreement on any green proposals that they are unable to counter you are a far right supporter. An even larger pile of steaming shite.

How many greenies that have been threadbanned I have no idea but I would be more inclined to believe some of them are no longer around here because even they now realise, that from even from the little we know on this wind revolution of theirs, that financially it is untenable. The Irish Gren Party have not made life any easier for them either with an inane policy of culling cattle and going from attempting to ban all forms of LNG to Ryan now having to acknowledge that LNG and gas storage are needed for energy security.

The E.U.has not helped their cause either with the dodgy bookkeeping of wood burning being carbon neutral and the insistance on sticking with the marginal pricing policy ensuring that renewables are priced at the level of the most expensive component in the generation mix regardless of the overall percentage of that component in the mix. Germany did them no favors either closing down the last of their nuclear plants that were providing 14% of their electricity during an energy crisis based on nothing other than green ideology, while going back exploring and using coal to fill the gap. Even Greta Thunberg could not get her head around that insanity.

For me it`s not so much a case of them going very quite around here, It`s a case that they have just ran out of road. THat some of them are still trying to wedge in their beliefs on other threads when they could not or would not answer questions on a dedicated thread on those beliefs for me backs that up.

The dedicated link dumper I do not miss in the slighest. Much of what he posted in an effort to wallpaper the place with green propaganda was often tiresome in that in his haste very little of it on examination backed up his points. One in particular that I recall was an inter-active web site by a green advocacy group that showed the major emitters here and the level of emissions. Had he taken the time to look it also showed a wood burning power plant in the U.K. not only the single largest emitter in the U.K., but the second largest emitting power plant in Europe. Something again, par for the course with most greens here, when it came to verifiable facts was ignored.

• Advertisement

We know what happens here when the wind does not blow, and we know what the plan is here for reaching net zero emissions when the wind does not blow, but I`m not sure you do.

If you do then why the reluctance to tell us how this plan will be achieved and at what cost. To the nearest €10 Billion (around the price of 4 national childrens hospital) will do.

Exactly most people are more concerned by their own wellbeing than how their individual actions contribute to global climate change. Thats not to say they have no concern for climate change and many will make changes, especially if financially incentivised to do so, to mitigate this impact but their desire to enjoy a new car, foreign holiday, 65" tv, etc will win out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ginger22

Like the crowd on RTE, they are concerned about the climate as long as they don't have to incur any sacrifice themselves like missing their couple of foreign holidays.

An excellent example of why people have left this thread, someone posting gibberish and then tries to tie Green policies into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

@charlie14 just wanted to express my gratitude to your posting on this thread. I haven't read them all as yet, but I appreciate your deep dive into the green proposals and enjoy your point-by-point take down of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Theres no doubt in my mind that some of the missing "greenies" are busy getting ready for the local elections, theres campaigning and canvassing to be done especially for the GP and the Soc Dems.No time for boards anymore.

In reality you are talking about the percentage of the population that are being incentified to take up these green initiatives. Those that can afford to buy new cars, 65" tvs, and fly off on foreign holidays etc and still have enough disposable income to avail of these initiatives.

They make up a small percentage of the population and as such, even if they all took up these offers, would have a negligible effect on our emissions. Globally as useful as our culling cattle. But even that percentage I believe would turn pale if anyone was thruthful and honest enough to tell them the overall cost of this Irish green plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Approx 65% of people who voted for the Greens in the last election in Ireland are now saying they won't vote for the Greens again.

I can't remember any massive threadbanning spree, so given those voting intentions its far more likely a lot of their supporters from a few years ago have just gradually realised the error of their ways and have given up on vocally supporting Green policies online as well as offline.

Which does say good things about the intelligence of the Irish electorate to be fair, if people want to focus on a silver lining.

So its gibberish now to point out reality. Exhibit A why people have given up posting on this thread, they've simply been ground down by the continuous repitition of measures which probably could work in some far off utopian paradise that does not exist in this or any other country for that matter. I get its hugely frustraing for the disciples that the general populance are not on their knees praising the one dimensional dogma and pleading for more.

Btw youre right about one thing its not just about the Green Party, its across the full political spectrum at this stage, as this country's politicians have for some time become the lapdogs of their EU betters and constantly crave that friendly pat on the head for being the good little boy at the top of the class. Time for a hard reset and a dose of reality for all

• Advertisement

Thank you for that, but in all honesty any contribution of mine here is more shooting fish in a barrel than deep diving. If you read back through this thread you will find posts from people who work at the coal face in energy supply and agriculture in particular, who have made many more telling contributions on some of this green idological insanity than anything I have posted.

Advertisement