Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a new deal from EIR FTTH that includes phone but can I use usb port on ASUS router for phone?

Options
  • 01-10-2021 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to use a VOIP phone via usb socket on an AUS router? Its with EIR FTTH h and they did send a new router with a phone socket and gave me a phone number.

I use an ASUS -RT-AX88U. Its just a thought

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

You can't.

There is an APP for iOS though. You can use your iPhone or iPad as landline phone with EIR

ps.nothing for Android

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

You can install the eir talk app on an android phone, works fine for me (and to the surprise of my mam who go an answer when I was driving the car)!

Good to know , it wasn't on Google Play last year.

ps. Couldn't find it now ..

Could you share a link ?

Oh, just noticed it doesn't appear to be on gogole play any more..

• Advertisement

They've stopped support for Android in 2019.

You have old phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

thanks all, I downlaoded the app to iphone 12 and logged in but when i select number it comes back with "Invalid DNS configuration." And I am stuck. Will try on an ipad later.

I remember I had similar message on iPad , but app still worked though .

It logs me back out of the app so cant try it.

• Advertisement

You might need to be on EIR network in order to work ( or for the first start at least)

Are you trying it on cellular?

If you on your home WIFI , any chance you have OpenDNS enabled on your ASUS router or similar DNS service?

Post edited by alec76 on

I checked that and router was set to " connect to DNS server automatically" I changed it to google servers and still no joy.

I dont know the dns servers EIR use as I think that might sort it.

I wouldn't switch to Google DNS , you should try use EIR DNS first ( router pulls it automatically from ISP)

I haven't tried this app for long time , I let you know if it is still working.

Post edited by alec76 on

I’ve tried, working for me fine on IPad ( don’t have an iPhone ,sorry) .

It did say “Invalid DNS configuration “ at the initial start , but l still was able to use it after.( my router set to OpenDNS ,not EirDNS, probably the reason I was getting this message, still it works though. It is not original Eir router too)

iOS 15.0 , I don’t think it matters .( I used this app few times last year on different IPad )

ps. Try to clear the app from the iPhone’s short term memory.( quit the app)

Post edited by alec76 on

ok I put it back to automatic, it must look for something in the Eir router. And the funny thing is I got it working on an iphone se 2020 just now.

Good job !

No it doesn’t need Eir’s router to start , as I simply don’t have one.

good news I got it working. I went into app settings on phone, found eir talk and granted it access to everything and bingo it worked. I think I had blocked contacts.

Advertisement