Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle choice need opinions

• 02-10-2021 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Looking at Bergera BMP, Sabatti Evo Tactical & Sabatti Urban Shooter in .308 for target shooting.

Anyone own one of them?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't own any so won't comment on the individual rifles but if I may I'll make a feew observations based on spec.

First off, is this solely a target rifle or do you intend for dual use? I ask because the Sabatti Evo is a heavy brute at over 14lbs without scope or accessories. Too heavy for lugging around a field or even for most sporting rifle comps as it'll come in at approx 18lbs with scope, rings, suppressor, and bipod. The 28" version with 1:11 twist would provide ample variance for ammo and range.

The other two are very similar in terms of weight (10lbs), length of barrel (20-24") and more aimed at sporting rifle/hunting. However I seen lads struggling past 800 yards with anything under 24". Not saying its impossible, far from it, but if your intent is target shooting the longer barrel is better suited to get the most out of the ammo as 20" barreled rifles tend to fall short. I've seen 26" barreled rifles having issues at 1,000 yards so the shorter the barrel the more issues.

The Begara and Sabatti Sniper would make a good dual purpose rifle being lightweight enough to sporting rifle and with the right scope/suppressor/bipod combo not too much over 13lbs all in.

I'll leave the reviews of the actual rifles to those with them, but just some food for thought toget the ball rolling.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭BSA International

Thanks Cass.

Will only be a plinking target rifle. Not looking to do comps. Would like to get out to 1000 yards, in time.

Lad on utube, 8541 Tactical, reckoned with factory ammo 20" is enough in .308?????? You have me leaning towards Sabatto Evo so 😀

I'd say 300 would be most likely distance it'll be used at.

Oh, it'll reach a 1,000 yards no doubt, but to what effect should be the question. Would it be key-holing, and if not what are your groups going to be like? I'd like to be at least on the board with each shot and not splashing into the backstop either side of it.

A little dramatic?

Perhaps, but with good reason. A 20" barreled rifle using factory ammo with an average speed, in 308, of approx 2700fps is about 100fps slower than the same ammo in a 24" barreled rifle. The difference this makes is quite amazing. In the 24" barrel rifle your round would be transonic at about 800 to 850 and almost sub sonic at 1,000.

With a 20" barrel you get less burn of the cartridge (less complete burn that is) hence slower muzzle velocity and so the 2700 muzzle velcoity means you're now transonic at the 450 to 500 yard mark and subsonic at 650 to 700 yards. At 1000 yards you're into triple digits (less than 800 fps) and essentialy at the mercy of the wind.

Its why long range shooters go for longer barrels (and of course hand loads). Of course going excessively longer has the same effect as too short, reduced velocity due to excessive travel of the bullet in the barrel which actually starts to create drag and reduce the speed so 34" is the max most shooters go to. I prefer 32". However that is for 1,00 to 1,200 yard F-Class shooting. Its not necessary for plinking or spoting rifle.

A 24" barreled rifle would be my preference in those circumstances (dual purpose set up). So I'd look towards the Bergara as the Sabatti Urban says it only comes in 20". That is assuming you're "limiting" your choices to those three. However if weight is not an issue then of the three I'd be looking at the EVO. It ticks all the boxes and the only drawback I could see is weight. However if its sporting shooting, some semi-serious target work and little to no hunting then the EVO seems to be the one to go for. Also if you decide to push your ability/shooting further the EVO will do out to 1,000 yards, with factory ammo, with no need for upgrades, barrel changes or rifle change, whereas the other two will/may limit that function. IOW the EVO would serve the purpose of all three well, whereas the Bergara and Urban can only do short to medium range.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭BSA International

Thanks Cass. Very helpful 👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I have to agree with Cass, velocity is your friend in long distance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Velocity is important, but personally I tend towards shorter barrels these days, mostly for handiness and comfort.

Less necessary when the rifle is only going to be in a rest or on a bipod/sticks, but still a consideration.

Have a gander at the table here:

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308-winchester-7-62x51mm-nato-barrel-length-versus-velocity-28-to-16-5/

They cut down a 308 from 28 inches to 16.5 and there is a <300 fps difference in the 4 ammo velocities used from the max to the min barrel lengths.

Not a massive amount for a significant saving in length and weight.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

otmmyboy2 - Not a massive amount for a significant saving in length and weight.

The average is 20 - 25fps per inch lost. So the 300 figure is in keeping with that, however its the effects such loss of velocity has as outlined above. You don' get complete burn of the propellant in a shorter barrel which can lead to inconsistent/slower muzzle velocities, which can lead to inaccuary, loss of groups, and most importantly loss of range. As I mentioned above your bullet will go from transonic possibly even to subsonic at longer ranges (some not even that "long"). There is also the issue of stability in flight. If a bullet "requires" a certain amount of rotation to be stable and the barrel is shorter than this allows for then you'll have instability.

The key point about barrel length is knowing the distances you want to shoot at. Out to 600 yards you'll be "ok" with anything dow to 20". I wouldn't even like to go that short, but it may be consistently. If you're only objective is 300 yards or less then 20" is just fine. However most factory ammo is tested and the performance derived from a 24" test rifle/barrel, not to mention at distances further than 600 you're fighting an unecessary battel by going too short. Its why you'll rarely, if ever, see a long range competitior with a short barrel.

Advertisement