Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - How to get wired connection upstairs

Options
  • 02-10-2021 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Just got a virgin media bundle to a new house, old upc box is upstairs which is great for my home office there but no use for connecting to the tv box downstairs. So I need to get a Red installer to add an new access point downstairs to connect coaxial cables of modem and tv box there, but I want a wired connection to my computer upstairs, so I’m going to need to run a cat cable internally or externally from downstairs to upstairs. Ideally this would happen external as running through the house will be a mess. Anyone know if Red installer will do this or do I need an electrician? As it’s technically an extra I need I wasn’t sure (for the record I’m not interested in those power line plugs), I’ll likely connect the cat cable upstairs to a router and create new Ethernet points from that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Its a few years ago now but wanted something similar. Called up mid contract and offered to renew for a further 12 months if they installed a new access point. Which they did with no hassle and got me to sign for another 12 months !. Worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAMAC

Nice! Good play, I wonder if they’ll throw in lining a cat cable across the house. I read somewhere access point installation was €60 and that’s not including the general Red installer fee

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAMAC

If anyone else is wondering, they do not install external or internal cat cables from your modem to elsewhere in the house. They’ll suggest you get Powerline adaptors instead of get an electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Powerline adaptors can be very very slow. And you wont know how slow until you plug them in. Even the expensive ones, €250+ etc.

Getting an electrician to run a Cat cable should be easy and cheap enough. Or do it yourself? Not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I’m running powerline adapters from tp link for the last 3 years with literally no speed issues. I would definitely recommend trying them as will potentially solve your issues with no hassle

• Advertisement
Advertisement